Reaction to Stitches

Jollymon

FYI, some dogs do not tolerate internal stitches that disolve, apparently their bodies tend to "reject" the cat gut that is used to make the stitches. I found this out the hard way, my Golden Retriever puppy just recently had a reaction. The reaction started after she had the outer layer of stitches removed from her spay incision. Just thought I'd pass this info on to all of you other dog lovers out there :smile:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hope your dog is feeling better and healing well. Post a pic of her if you can. :cool:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My little boy dawg had a reaction to his stitches as well , but they were external and got all red and inflamed looking. :poorbaby: for your little girl. I know it has to be rough when your dawg is hurting.

Jollymon

Her incision formed a blister that was red and looked like a burn. The vet popped it, "like a zit" (his own terms) and pulled the stitches out. We just have to keep it clean and watch it. It's looking so much better now and I'm sure swimming in our pool everyday helps to keep it clean. :wink:

K

Kizzy

It is amazing how pool water can clear up cuts. My dog bit my son on the face, and before everyone freaks out, it was a small deserved bit on the face. The dog was sleeping and my son jumped on him. This happened on Tuesday and he went to the water park in Calvert on Friday and the cut is almost gone.

yoddle

Originally posted by IM4Change
It is amazing how pool water can clear up cuts. My dog bit my son on the face, and before everyone freaks out, it was a small deserved bit on the face. The dog was sleeping and my son jumped on him. This happened on Tuesday and he went to the water park in Calvert on Friday and the cut is almost gone.

I was glad to read your post and the way you handled the bite. I'm big into dogs and also have kids and I can fully understand there are things like this that might happen each situation is different and should be handled correctly.

Glad your boy is okay though.