Virus & Accessing email by remote

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Because of the virus, both my legacy and NMCI computers at work have become infected. My home computer was spared. YEA!

There are some documents in my work email that I need to print out. My question is, if I access my work account from home via the web, could it infect my home computer?

I'm a dunderhead when it comes to this stuff.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Make certain the virus signatures are up to date as of 08/15/03 or as close as a pattern that's available and download (without opening) the attachments to your hard drive. The virus scan should check and clean them as it saves the file.

This would hinge on you running an Anti-Virus package on your home system already.

bottoms up

Originally posted by RoseRed
Because of the virus, both my legacy and NMCI computers at work have become infected. My home computer was spared. YEA!

how convenient (scratching my chin) :cool:

K

Kain99

If you download the patches from Microsoft you should be O.K. Just to be safe make sure your virus definitions are up to date too. You don't want anything nasty from work following you home.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by mainman
Good thing I don't work with you....:wink:
If you worked with me Mainman... I'd have you Hogtied Naked at my feet for amusement! :wink:

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
Originally posted by appyday
RoseRed..is this the MSBLAST.exe I got? anyway I was told it is a worm not a virus...virus detection will not catch it. It is NOT spread by emails...it was easy to get off the computer and did no damage..good luck:biggrin:

Originally posted by Kain99
If you download the patches from Microsoft you should be O.K. Just to be safe make sure your virus definitions are up to date too. You don't want anything nasty from work following you home.

You're both on the right track...

If you have windows 98 or lower, you're in the clear. This affects NT based computers like NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 (all versions and strands of each respective OS)

The best practice for this particular worm is to download Symantec's removal too first, From the Symantec Responce Center , reboot without being online (unplug the freggin cable even), and then apply the MS patch Available here from MS , then reboot and run the symantec checker again before plugging back into the net.

The reason for this is, if you apply the MS patch first, it creates a system restore point, that actually ARCHIVES the virus. Use the symantec tool to remove the virus first, then after rebooting, apply the MS patch. Have both downloaded before starting the process.

FYI
The latest Symantec AV Defs will catch the worm. The worm populates via network traffic, not through files saved do disk. (Thats why its a worm and not a virus).