Camping

K

Kizzy

Does anyone here camp?

Top-Ten Campsites in U.S.

MSN just released a list of top-ten campsites in the U.S. I was surprised that #1 on the list has no hook-ups, electric/water, trash pick-up. Most of the sites on the list are too far away for a weekend getaway, but #10 is a campsite in Virginia and a state park at that.

If there are any campers here, I'd like to know where you've been and what you have liked. This past summer, I went to Bethpage, which is very nice, and it is in Virginia and Pirateland in S.C., which is next to the beach.

SmallTown

Football season!
Haevn't been to any of those, but we recently went camping at the Prince William Forest National Park. It has a variety of camping choices, from rustic cabins (central bathhouse for those who can't stand to stink after a day of hiking), RV spaces with hookups, car tent camping, and hike-in tent camping. These different areas are spreadout throughout the park.

Of course, this was our first time camping so I can't really compare it to anything, but we had fun!

http://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm

K

Kizzy

It looks very nice. I like the lake and the one-mile stretch trail. The kids would love it, so I will have to keep my eye on it to see when it re-opens.

Currently, I have a pop up camper, but I have been shopping for travel trailer and hitting the classified here. So, even if you don't camp, please let me know if you see a travel trailer on the side of the road anywhere for less than 9K, more like the 5-6K range. I prefer something in the 27-32 foot range, self-contained that sleeps at least 6 and a dry weight of 6800-7200 lbs. After camping in a pop up, I'm not too picky.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We're going camping in a couple of weeks. We haven't been in three years. Last time we had a 2 year old with us, this time we have a 5-yo, 2 1/2-yo and a 7 month old kid. We're nuts.

I checked the site , but there are no good pictures. We go to Shenandoah National Park, about the midpoint on Skyline Drive

I have done about every type of camping there is. Was is Scouts as a kid. Hiked about every trail in Shanendoah Natl. Park twice. One summer me, my dad, another adult, and another guy my age, did all of the AT in S.N.P. (95 miles) in 8 days, got home on Sunday & left Wed. for Philmont Scout Ranch, where I hiked another 85 miles in 11 days. Went camping with 7 other incomeing students 2 weeks before starting college. Knew none of them. We slept under a big tarp, rather than in tents. Rained the entire week. It was the best hiking trip I ever did.
If you are going on a family camping trip, Big Meadows on Skyline Dr. is great. It is in the middle of the park.
If you want to go on a hike, you can get guide books to the different trails in S.N.P. that are great. Jeremy's Run is one of the best circle hikes. It is 10 miles w/ LOTS of stream crossings. The only thing is that you want to do it in the reverse direction of the way the guide books tell you, otherwise you go uphill the entire second day.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
Does anyone here camp?

Top-Ten Campsites in U.S.

MSN just released a list of top-ten campsites in the U.S. I was surprised that #1 on the list has no hook-ups, electric/water, trash pick-up. Most of the sites on the list are too far away for a weekend getaway, but #10 is a campsite in Virginia and a state park at that.

If there are any campers here, I'd like to know where you've been and what you have liked. This past summer, I went to Bethpage, which is very nice, and it is in Virginia and Pirateland in S.C., which is next to the beach.
I've camped at Pocahontas, but it was in the mid 70s, It was a neat place then and they didn't have the pool. I seem to remember swimming in a lake with a dam. Matter of fact, I separated my shoulder diving off of it. Also used to go there for horseback riding.

Another really nice Virginia campground is Douthat State Park in western Virginia. They have a lake and excellent hiking with access to the Appalachian Trail. The lake will surely wake you up as it is what I call chilly (more like cold, manhood shrinking cold, if you know what I mean).

I’ve also camped at numerous campgrounds around the states and have had the pleasure (thanks to the USAF) to camp in south eastern Iceland at the base of a glacier and in central Alaska about 200 miles west of Anchorage.

I enjoy the primitive camping better than transporting luxuries. Nothing better than being able to connect with nature without the contamination of technology. Not to mention “no-frills” camping is rather inexpensive.

D

DaMadman

Well I like the Campgrounds that have nothing

But The wife likes to have some of the modern stuff. We have a 19 foot Coachman, It's small but meets our needs.

There is a Kampground in Staunton Va

http://www.koa.com/where/va/46127.htm

It is very nice. It is about 4.5 - 5 hour drive if you take your time.

If you like to roll on the highway you can make it a lot quicker.

It has full hookups, cabins, Jacuzzi Room, Pool, Fishing, Kamp Store, a River that you can innertube down. and they normally have a band come in one night a weekend and play country/southern rock at thier pavillion.

It is really nice, clean and there is plenty to do. You should prolly call ahead for reservations though

Taz

Snow Hill

Had a really good time over at Snow Hill last year. It wasn't crowded at all. Two families camped next to us and we all loved country music, so weekend was a blast. First time I had ever seen a gasoline-powered blender.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Staunton campground IS nice. We stayed there for several days in an RV.

Keep in mind that my idea of "roughing it" is when the ice maker is on a different floor than my room. :cool:

H

hobkyl

camping in virginia

I've been to Big Meadows Campground in Shenandaoh NP, and although it was wonderful camping in the middle of all the park has to offer, was less than thrilled with quiet rules. Although they were posted, the Park Police didnt enforce them, and we found ourselves awake well past 3am with little kids, and drunken adults yelling as if it were a contest. I suppose that could have been a result of a bad weekend though. It really is a nice place to camp. This weekend (Labor Day) we are going to camp at a little campground down in the Shenandaoh Valley, and from the looks of it seems to be just what we are looking for. If you'd like to check it out go to www.shenandoahvalley.com then click on b&b, resorts, campgrounds, lodges on right hand side of screen....this should open up a new page which lists all the places to stay in the valley....the one we are going to is called Camp Outback. Good luck!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: camping in virginia

Originally posted by hobkyl
This weekend (Labor Day)

:confused: Either you had a heck of a lag time in posting this or you meant Columbus Day.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Re: Re: camping in virginia

Originally posted by jazz lady
:confused: Either you had a heck of a lag time in posting this or you meant Columbus Day.
Must have an old 300 BAUD Modem.