I made my first DVD!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yee HA! I'm so excited! The goal is to take all of our old home movies that are rapidly deteriorating and put them on DVD sothey'll last longer. I just digitized some footage of Larry and his sibs from when they were kids. Put music to it, made a menu, burned that bad boy and Voila! A DVD!

Has anyone else done this? Have any tips for me? (Besides to get the right format DVDs, that is :lol:)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That's quite an accomplishment! :cheers:

I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Vrai,

I bought my DVD burner after my CD burner went out but haven't upgraded the video card. What make and model card are you using? And what editing software?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kyle, according to Dell, my video card is a
64MB DDR NVIDIA_ GeForce4 MX™ Graphics Card with TV-Out

Whatever that means. :lol:

I use Ulead's Video Studio to import and edit the footage, then Sonic DVD to arrange and burn the DVD. I really like both programs - makes it pretty easy.

I've got a firewire card so I could import the video, which goes from the VCR, through the camcorder, into the computer. I think there might be a way that I can go directly from the VCR to the computer but haven't explored that yet. Of course, video that I've taken with my camcorder is a lot easier to deal with :lol:.

To all of you who say you couldn't do that - yes, you could. It's pretty simple once you learn the software. The tedious part is editing down the video. After that, it's a piece of cake.

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
DVD Encoding

We've been burning DVD's and VCD's here at work for a while. Some of the things we've leard are:

1) In creating movies, the transfer rate of your hard drive is way more important than your videocard. The videocard is important in playback, unless it is also your input source, then its real important.

If your video starts getting jerky, you're "dropping frames"; the transfer rate between your hard drive and you system bus is most likely the problem. The fast, easy, and inexpensive solution is a faster controller card. Promise Technologies makes one of the more popular models. The one offered by Maxtor is made by Promise. It is the only model that supports the super big 250 gig range hard drives without a problem.

Also, when upgrading your hard drive controller, make sure you use the 80 pin shielded IDE cable instead of the regualar 40 pin IDE cable. The regular cable will cause your machine to dummy down from ATA 133 to ATA 33.

You can go SCSI or Serial ATA, but no need to be crazy

2) Contigous hard drive space, and lots of it. Best practice, dedicate a drive to rendering (\buffering\compiling). The bigger the better. Also look into disk management software like Diskeeper

3) Memory. Lots of it.

4) Codecs. Make sure you use the right codec for what you want to accomplish. There are plenty of utilities that help you manage your codecs, and that explain what they all do.

5) You don't need a DVD-R\RW\+R\-R to burn movies. Roxio EZ CD Creator Pro 5+ will allow you to burn VCDs, making a CD that will play in other people's computers, as well as their home DVD players.

Check out http://dvd.box.sk/]DVD.Box.sk[/URL] for lots of great codecs, faq's, reviews, etc. You may get an unwanted popup or two, but the information there is more than you ever dreamed of.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
5) You don't need a DVD-R\RW\+R\-R to burn movies. Roxio EZ CD Creator Pro 5+ will allow you to burn VCDs, making a CD that will play in other people's computers, as well as their home DVD players.
Now that I didn't know. This program gives me the option of creating VCDs but I didn't know what that was. Thanks Jimbo!