baseball fans strike

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Anybody read Bob Costas' book Fair Ball? He would make a great commissioner. Of course, at this point, my neighbor's dog would make a better commissioner than Selig.

G

giggles04

Originally posted by Tonio
Of course, at this point, my neighbor's dog would make a better commissioner than Selig.

Ha!!! You're probably right on that!

I've been on my own fan strike since the '94 player's strike. Just a bunch of rich guys fighting over who gets the most. Only Cal Ripken kept me interested. Now that he's gone, screw 'em. I've got better things to do in the summer.

B

Bruzilla

What I would like to see happen of the players strike would be for the owners to suspend play for the year and cancel the contracts of every player in the league. Then start rebuilding the teams using new players who really want to play the game. Pay them a decent salary for an entry-level entertainer, say $75,000 a year... just enough to for someone who really loves the game to be able to support a family fairly well, but not enough to attract the "I'M A STAR" guys.

Then enforce a league-wide ticket price cap at $20 a seat for the best seat in the house, with 70% of all ticket prices capped at $5.00 a seat. Also develop guidelines for pricing refreshments, souvenirs, etc. Get prices back to where fans can start taking families to games, and use TV revenues to cover the rest.

That would be my dream for baseball. Yeah, play would suck for a season or two with all new players, but even Barry Bonds was a rookie once. Within three years I predict that no one would even notice or care that today's players were gone.

One other thing that irks me about all the strike talk. Players and reporters keep saying how the fans will be back after a strike. What fans??? When I watch a game on TV I see lots of people sitting in the seats behing homeplate but the rest of the stands are empty. Where are all these fans at???

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dream On Bru

Sounds like a great dream to me, but I don't see it happening. I'm disgusted with baseball...owners and players. Money, money, money.

I love going to the Baysox games. They interact with the fans, it's good baseball and it's reasonably priced!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
After reading Tonio's article

Originally posted by cattitude
I'm disgusted with baseball...owners and players. Money, money, money.

Ditto :bubble:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Me, too...

Originally posted by StillCrazy
I've been on my own fan strike since the '94 player's strike. Just a bunch of rich guys fighting over who gets the most. Only Cal Ripken kept me interested. Now that he's gone, screw 'em. I've got better things to do in the summer.

I totally lost interest in baseball the last time around.
Unfortunately, there's always a call for a fan strike when they pull this stuff, and yet, after they've been gone for a while and then return, people seemingly flock to the stadiums.
I just don't understand why people keep coming back to feed these spoiled babies.

B

Bruzilla

You can keep the Baysox too. The first, and last, game that my family went to showed me what they were about too. After sitting in a cold drizzle for three hours so my kids could get over-priced souvenir baseballs signed, the players walked right past my kids and about 20 others without even acknowledging them! And that was after they had won the game!

The Baysox sure showed me that they were ready for the big leagues... a bunch of idiots who don't realize what they're doing to their fan base.