Good news for music stealers

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
Whoo Hoo!! archive those MP3's from your download folder!

Stealing is such a harsh term anyway... I prefer to think of it as a preemptive backup.. Should I decide to buy the CD, and then loose it, I'll be covered.

mainman

Set Trippin
[/B][/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Jimbo
Whoo Hoo!! archive those MP3's from your download folder!

Stealing is such a harsh term anyway... I prefer to think of it as a preemptive backup.. Should I decide to buy the CD, and then loose it, I'll be covered.
I only download music for a 24 hour evaluation period. Then I delete them. :rolleyes:, yep thats what I do.

jimbo......preemptive backup <----:killingme:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok I'll admit I am really ignorant on this subject, but can they come after you if you downloaded stuff a year or so ago? Its wasn't illegal then was it? I haven't downloaded any songs in about that long but I do have a ton on my hard drive. Can they find out I have them?

School_girl

Ok I'll admit I am really ignorant on this subject, but can they come after you if you downloaded stuff a year or so ago?
Its wasn't illegal then was it?

Can you say mellium act? this went in affect in 1998 so short answer would be yes, but in reality not likely that they would.

[Well if you feel compelled to purge your files Id be happy to help :)

Can they find out I have them?

Yep when ever you regiester at one on those sites unless you lied about everything they have your info although it should take a court order for that to be turned over unless their trying to work a deal for them selves.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by School_girl
Can you say mellium act? this went in affect in 1998 so short answer would be yes, but in reality not likely that they would.
Do you by chance mean the Digital Millennium Copyright Act? If so, what aspects of this modification of the copyright laws adds significance to the claimed infringement from downloading songs? As I understand the complaint it is a straightforward section 106 claim.

Which, BTW, I feel is crap because the exception for “fair use” apply and royalties should be being paid from the proceeds generated by the selling of the equipment and medium that allows for sharing process (see Chapter 10 of Title 17).

TWLs wife

I haven't downed music for a while

Because there making a bug for your P.C that it will distroy your P.C. So I Stoped in July.:dosman: :dosman: :dosman: :dosman:

School_girl

Preaching to the Choir

Ken yes I did.

Personally, If I by a shirt and don’t like it I can give it away. I paid for it and can do anything I feel with it.
Purchased is the key word, the law disagrees, As long as I am not selling it. Someone patented that design. I guess that’s the difference a copyright verses a Pat. Maybe we should tell the clothing industry to copyright their designs as intellectual property.
Than we could close all the thrift shops that support charities, after all I am sure the designer never intended for there clothing to be wore by more than the purchaser.

The DFC is still trying to change the language with recent intellectual copyright controversies (Napster, etc.) Sections 1201 and 104 of the DMCA continue to be reviewed by the U.S. Copyright office.

ISP RATS YOU OUT
http://alex.halavais.net/courses/law/archives/000224.html

I guess its like going to a concert if your crazy enough to pay 4 to 6 times what a CD cost. all the extra cost and hassels your only allowed to listen to it once you cant record it to hear it again even though you paid 4 times over the cost of the privelage of doing so.

Cant you see this all makes perfect sense from the music industries perspective. No ?? I guess your not as high as most of them or it would make total sense. And for a couple grand You to can own/ lease your very own congressman Ken yes I did.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Preaching to the Choir

Originally posted by School_girl
Ken yes I did.

Personally, If I by a shirt and don’t like it I can give it away. I paid for it and can do anything I feel with it.
Purchased is the key word, the law disagrees, As long as I am not selling it. Someone patented that design. I guess that’s the difference a copyright verses a Pat. Maybe we should tell the clothing industry to copyright their designs as intellectual property.
Than we could close all the thrift shops that support charities, after all I am sure the designer never intended for there clothing to be wore by more than the purchaser.
Sorry, but I believe that your analogy is not relevant to this matter. Let’s get back to recordings. When you purchase the item you, as the purchaser, have the right to dispose of the item in any manner you see fit (see section 109 on effect of transfer from purchase) you can give it away or sell it. You can make a backup copy for your own use. What you cannot do is duplicate for the purpose to sell, rent, lease, or anything that financially benefits you from that distribution.

I guess its like going to a concert if your crazy enough to pay 4 to 6 times what a CD cost. all the extra cost and hassels your only allowed to listen to it once you cant record it to hear it again even though you paid 4 times over the cost of the privelage of doing so.
Now you’re confusing things. Protections for live performances are different than buying a CD, you cannot record that live performance and reshow or broadcast it without the permission of those that hold copyright to the material. You can however view it personally and privately.

Cant you see this all makes perfect sense from the music industries perspective. No ?? I guess your not as high as most of them or it would make total sense. And for a couple grand You to can own/ lease your very own congressman Ken yes I did.
This was “clear as mud” and makes no sense at all.

Bottom line is that, within the guidelines of current law, I say you can share the music as long as your intent isn’t to obtain financial gain (see section 107). That the laws provide for the collection of royalties from the sale of equipment used in the process (which probably hasn’t been collected per section 1004).

It can be argued that the sharing of music by “consumers” can have a positive impact on the artists’ ability to generate funds (I heard it and decided to buy a concert ticket to see them “live – in concert”) and that the sharing is not a copyright infringement. The infringement would occur if and when a person receiving the shared music copies that into a medium and then uses it in a manner to make money. If there are “infringers”, then hammer them, but if it is a simple sharing of music for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research it is allowed and these people should be left alone and afforded the privacy and association protections guaranteed in this country.