Childhood relived.

bcp

In My Opinion
Looking back to 1968, a time of civil unrest due to the Vietnam War, a time of free love, a time of enchantment and learning for a 10 year old boy.

I still remember the day that my father came home with that brand new camper, A skamper pop up, 8 ft box on it, it was a thing of beauty and great pride. I watched as he opened it in the drive way, first one side lifted, then the other, pins placed in the proper holes to keep it from falling once up, then those wings, large and blue slowly pulled from each end, poles inserted to give support.
inside was a stove, an Ice box, a pump style sink two tables that turned into beds.

Our first trip out, My mother, father, sister, brother and myself all loaded into the car, off to some wonderful place that was kept secret from us.

Cederville state park was the destination, wooded sites, not too much to do, but we were camping, it was new and it was fun.
next trip, somewhere in western maryland, same, wooded, not too much to do, but we were camping.

Then it came, we were going to the ocean, camping.
As we neared the ocean I first started seeing signs for a campground that had a pool, big slides, an old west town, fishing, game rooms,, Oh it was wonderful, I sat back and dreamed of all the fun we would have at this campground.

At last, looking out of the window I finally spotted the campground, I could SEE the slide, and the pool.
In the name of safety, I mentioned to my father that the campground was right there, shouldnt he be slowing down?
no.
I remember my heart dropping as we passed by, clearly visible from the road were thousands of children having fun, riding bikes, swimming, playing.

a bit further and I saw yet another campground, even more wonderful than the first,,, I watched, face stuck to the window, hands on the glass to either side of my head as we sped past.

Assateague National Seashore is were we ended up.
as I looked around I saw not slides, or pools of fresh clean cool water, no game rooms, no snack bar, just sand. Sand is where we were camping this time.

over the years camping with my parents, this scene played itself out time and time again, even at 16 I remember longing to see what wonderful things were inside the gates of those spectacular campgrounds as we sped by to make it to our no frills site.

40 years later.

I chose campgrounds for what they have to offer my daughter, Jellystone campgrounds, the pool, that perfectly waxed slide, the sun sparkling off of every corner. the Golf course, the craft times, Ice cream socials, rental bikes.
KOA, we pulled up to Yellowstone KOA to see a large camp store, a game room, a huge indoor heated pool, an expresso stand in the parking lot.

I looked at my daughter and realized that the glow, and the smile on her face was what I longed for so many years before, I am now giving it to her.
In some way, I am living my childhood camping over through her.

We have friends that also have a trailer, we have been trying to get together for a camping trip for some time. We cant agree on where to go.
It seems that he likes the state parks. end of story. there is plenty for the kids to do he says, they can hike in the woods, they can have a campfire,,, but they cant swim, and they will not realize the big slide or the game room or the craft time.

we are going camping with them at last.
my childhood pain to be relived once again.

I wonder, as I pass those glorious campgrounds filled with wonder and joy on my way to the no frills state forest, will I once again be looking through the eyes of a 10 year old boy longing for just once to see how the lucky kids live?

I am going back in time, but this time, I am my father bringing the child to a weekend of certain doom and dispair.

oh well, at least she has a Wii in the camper, all we had was a 5 band radio. I can still hear that new Neal Diamond song playing as I sit in the bench, covered in sand, swatting horsefly's from my body....

wish us well.

At first I would have to agree. We just got our camper 3 years ago. We have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We've camped at campgrounds w/ lakes, pools, golf carts whizzing around and towns not far away to go investigate. Not to mention putt-putt golf a hop-skip and jump away ...

but ....

We were dragged to Point Lookout State Park for a weekend of camping. I dreaded it. What were we to do? We can't take the golf cart. There is no swimming pool, no great camp store, no golf.

We all rode our bikes 'till the kids passed out, they dug in the sand and collected snails, they played football in the road, played at the small playground that was there, sat on the docks and watched the osprey and spent time with family and friends. It was an awesome weekend and I now LOVE PLO!

Get out, explore nature, teach them something other than how to hold the Wii game remote.

:yay:

yankee44

I have found that when we go camping, if the kids are board the parents are are not happy either.

That said I have been to some State Parks that have alot to offer kids. Chanango Vally State Park in Upstate New York comes to mind. But I cant get in there anymore. Thay can not take any camper bigger than 28 foot.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Don't write off state parks - although they lack amenities they offer the space and laid back atmosphere that resort campgrounds can't - and then there are the scenic hikes - oh the beauties we have seen over the past 3 years. And actually a lot of the state/county/city parks are now starting to offer scheduled activities and some have pools. I do my research before we visit any area and always go armed with lists of things to do so that we are never bored - sometimes we need the list other times we are content with just camping. We try to mix our trips equally between resorts and state parks so that we don't grow tired of either Depending on how far you are looking to travel I can make some suggestions.

One final though - I am cheap by nature – thus we camp – state parks are usually more than ½ the price of resort type campgrounds. Why not give state parks a try - you'll spend for 2 nights what only 1 will cost you at a Yogi (*disclaimer - I love yogis and we visit at least 2 a year but boy are they costly)

Last edited:

MrX

High Octane
Great story, thanks :)

Brings back a lot of memories going camping as a child myself. While the few campgrounds we went to werent too fancy, I did have a lot of fun doing it and nade many friends. Maybe when I have a child I can share some of those experiences with them as you are with yours. :yay:

Elle

Happy Camper!
oh well, at least she has a Wii in the camper, all we had was a 5 band radio. I can still hear that new Neal Diamond song playing as I sit in the bench, covered in sand, swatting horsefly's from my body....

OK, after reading your post from the tone you use I think the difference from you and your friends is that your friends camp and you simply travel in a camper. If your daughter can not give up video games for one weekend to spend quality time with her family and friends then your family does not know the true meaning of camping. Don't get me wrong I can't imagine going backwards to a tent now with having 2 little ones - we take advantage of our camper's amenities but we also have bikes, hike, play outside games and find too many numerous small little things to amuse ourselves to need to have a video game with us to ensure a fun weekend. Any trip is what you make of it – if you leave with the opinion that you are going to a state park and will have a miserable time then guess what you will have a miserable time. But if you look at it as you have a weekend to spend with the people you care about - not having to deal with the worries of home - then I bet it doesn’t turn out half bad.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Thanks for the memories. your heartwarming story took me back to 1970 and my first pop up camping trip and brought tears to my eyes. What a great place to go back to.:huggy:

Looking back to 1968, a time of civil unrest due to the Vietnam War, a time of free love, a time of enchantment and learning for a 10 year old boy.

I still remember the day that my father came home with that brand new camper, A skamper pop up, 8 ft box on it, it was a thing of beauty and great pride. I watched as he opened it in the drive way, first one side lifted, then the other, pins placed in the proper holes to keep it from falling once up, then those wings, large and blue slowly pulled from each end, poles inserted to give support.
inside was a stove, an Ice box, a pump style sink two tables that turned into beds.

Our first trip out, My mother, father, sister, brother and myself all loaded into the car, off to some wonderful place that was kept secret from us.

Cederville state park was the destination, wooded sites, not too much to do, but we were camping, it was new and it was fun.
next trip, somewhere in western maryland, same, wooded, not too much to do, but we were camping.

Then it came, we were going to the ocean, camping.
As we neared the ocean I first started seeing signs for a campground that had a pool, big slides, an old west town, fishing, game rooms,, Oh it was wonderful, I sat back and dreamed of all the fun we would have at this campground.

At last, looking out of the window I finally spotted the campground, I could SEE the slide, and the pool.
In the name of safety, I mentioned to my father that the campground was right there, shouldnt he be slowing down?
no.
I remember my heart dropping as we passed by, clearly visible from the road were thousands of children having fun, riding bikes, swimming, playing.

a bit further and I saw yet another campground, even more wonderful than the first,,, I watched, face stuck to the window, hands on the glass to either side of my head as we sped past.

Assateague National Seashore is were we ended up.
as I looked around I saw not slides, or pools of fresh clean cool water, no game rooms, no snack bar, just sand. Sand is where we were camping this time.

over the years camping with my parents, this scene played itself out time and time again, even at 16 I remember longing to see what wonderful things were inside the gates of those spectacular campgrounds as we sped by to make it to our no frills site.

40 years later.

I chose campgrounds for what they have to offer my daughter, Jellystone campgrounds, the pool, that perfectly waxed slide, the sun sparkling off of every corner. the Golf course, the craft times, Ice cream socials, rental bikes.
KOA, we pulled up to Yellowstone KOA to see a large camp store, a game room, a huge indoor heated pool, an expresso stand in the parking lot.

I looked at my daughter and realized that the glow, and the smile on her face was what I longed for so many years before, I am now giving it to her.
In some way, I am living my childhood camping over through her.

We have friends that also have a trailer, we have been trying to get together for a camping trip for some time. We cant agree on where to go.
It seems that he likes the state parks. end of story. there is plenty for the kids to do he says, they can hike in the woods, they can have a campfire,,, but they cant swim, and they will not realize the big slide or the game room or the craft time.

we are going camping with them at last.
my childhood pain to be relived once again.

I wonder, as I pass those glorious campgrounds filled with wonder and joy on my way to the no frills state forest, will I once again be looking through the eyes of a 10 year old boy longing for just once to see how the lucky kids live?

I am going back in time, but this time, I am my father bringing the child to a weekend of certain doom and dispair.

wish us well.

bcp

In My Opinion
OK, after reading your post from the tone you use I think the difference from you and your friends is that your friends camp and you simply travel in a camper. If your daughter can not give up video games for one weekend to spend quality time with her family and friends then your family does not know the true meaning of camping. Don't get me wrong I can't imagine going backwards to a tent now with having 2 little ones - we take advantage of our camper's amenities but we also have bikes, hike, play outside games and find too many numerous small little things to amuse ourselves to need to have a video game with us to ensure a fun weekend. Any trip is what you make of it – if you leave with the opinion that you are going to a state park and will have a miserable time then guess what you will have a miserable time. But if you look at it as you have a weekend to spend with the people you care about - not having to deal with the worries of home - then I bet it doesn’t turn out half bad.
I think camping should be fun. If I found that much enjoyment in sitting in the woods with nothing to do but bang a stick on a tree, I would just go out back and do so.

your little ones will grow out of the playing with mom and dad stage, and then you too will look for places that offer something to do.

My house is in the woods, why should I travel to somewhere that looks no different?