Kids Driving too Young

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I was on my way home from work yesterday and I noticed a car full of teens doing about 80mph on 235 and weaving in and out of traffic. What I want to know is do you think that the driving age should be raised to 18 and why?

My opinion is that they should be 18 to drive. When I was 16 I was in an accident and I wasn't mature enough to handle the peer pressure as well as the car. I think insurance rates would go down and there would be less accidents if they had to wait. I think there could be circumstances where they could drive like only to work but I don't think they should be allowed to have a bunch of friends in their cars or drive around at night with no place to go. What does everyone else think?

jrogers

YES ` YES ` YES` YES` YES` YES

Yes I do think the legal age for driving should be 18. Doesn't everyone remember what it felt like the first time you drove in vehicle by yourself?? I felt like the world was mine and everyone was supposed to get out of my way. Well I bet if they changed the age to 18 alot of these new drivers would be more responsibe because they would no longer be supported by mommy & daddy, right?? well they should also make the kids do more of a driving experience too!! What does drivers ed consist of now a days?? just a couple driving hours???
jees!!!:confused:

jrogers

Jenny was so happy about the house they had found. For once in her life 'twas on the right side of town. She unpacked her things with such great ease. As she watched her new curtains blow in the breeze. How wonderful it was to have her own room. School would be starting; she'd have friends over soon. There'd be sleep-overs, and parties; she was so happy It's just the way she wanted her life to be. On the first day of school, everything went great. She made new friends and even got a date! She thought, "I want to be popular and I'm going to be, Because I just got a date with the star of the team!" To be known in this school you had to have clout, And dating this guy would sure help her out. There was only one problem stopping her fate. Her parents had said she was too young to date. "Well I just won't tell them the entire truth. They won't know the difference; what's there to lose?" Jenny asked to stay with her friends that night. Her parents frowned but said, "All right." Excited, she got ready for the big event But as she rushed around like she had no sense, She began to feel guilty about all the lies, But what's a pizza, a party, and a moonlight ride? Well the pizza was good, and the party was great, But the moonlight ride would have to wait. For Dan was half drunk by this time. But he kissed her and said that he was just fine. Then the room filled with smoked and Dan took a puff. Jenny couldn't believe he was smoking that stuff. Now Dan was ready to ride to the point But only after he'd smoked another joint. They jumped in the car for the moonlight ride, Not thinking that he was too drunk to drive. They finally made it to the point at last, And Dan started trying to make a pass. A pass is not what Jenny wanted at all (and by a pass, I don't mean playing football.) "Perhaps my parents were right....maybe I am too young. Boy, how could I ever, ever be so dumb." With all of her might, she pushed Dan away: "Please take me home, I don't want to stay." Dan cranked up the engine and floored the gas. In a matter of seconds they were going too fast. As Dan drove on in a fit of wild anger, Jenny knew that her life was in danger. She begged and pleaded for him to slow down, But he just got faster as they neared the town. "Just let me get home! I'll confess that I lied. I really went out for a moonlight ride." Then all of a sudden, she saw a big flash. "Oh God, Please help us! We're going to crash!" She doesn't remember the force of impact. Just that everything all of a sudden went black. She felt someone remove her from the twisted rubble, And heard, "call an ambulance! These kids are in trouble! Voices she heard...a few words at best. But she knew there were two cars involved in the wreck. Then wondered to herself if Dan was all right, And if the people in the other car was alive. She awoke in the hospital to faces so sad. "You've been in a wreck and it looks pretty bad." These voices echoed inside her head, As they gently told her that Dan was dead. They said "Jenny, we've done all we can do. But it looks as if we'll lose you too." "But the people in the other car!?" Jenny cried. "We're sorry, Jenny, they also died." Jenny prayed, "God, forgive me for what I've done I only wanted to have just one night of fun." "Tell those people's family, I've made their lives dim, And wish I could return their families to them." "Tell Mom and Dad I'm sorry I lied, And that it's my fault so many have died. Oh, nurse, won't you please tell them that for me?" The nurse just stood there-she never agreed. But took Jenny's hand with tears in her eyes. And a few moments later Jenny died. A man asked the nurse, "Why didn't you do your best To bid that girl her one last request?" She looked at the man with eyes so sad. "Because the people in the other car were her mom and dad." This story is sad and unpleasant but true, So young people take heed, it could have been you.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Maybe the teachers in drivers ed should make the students read this!!!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jrogers
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Maybe the teachers in drivers ed should make the students read this!!!

It should be mandatory for the parents, too - especially the ones who think it's okay to buy their 16-year-old a hot rod...

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh Please!

It doesn't matter if you change the driving age from 16 to 30! ALL new drivers suck, no matter what the age. I think it's wise to have kids get their drivers license at 16, while they are still legally under parental supervision. You change it to 18 and it will be a friggin free for all on the roads, as parents won't have any say on what, when, where, and how their kids drive.

My father started teaching me how to drive when I was tall enough to reach the gas pedal (about 10 years old). When I got my drivers license at 16, I was still not permitted to drive very many places without at least one parent in the car with me.

You're going to have reckless drivers at any age, the best way to put a stop to it is actually prosecuting reckless drivers to the max rather than giving them a week of community service.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Well said Christy. Part of it is youth...the feeling of invincibility. A lot of young people are reckless in some form or another in many things they do.

I see a lot of older drivers who do stupid things and drive like idiots.

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yeah didn't anyone hear about that 70 some year old lady who ran over a two year old in a store parking lot the other day? Killed him. What is it with the old people forgetting which one is the gass and which one is the brake? We feel sorry for them, and at their age, they should God danged know better don't you think? At least teenagers can plead ignorance. :bubble:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm with Cari and Christy that many teens don't drive like that but perhaps if there were restrictions or alternative penalty's, suspensions of driving priviledges, for negligent or wreckles driving citations during the first four years.

I agree with the idea that was put out last year about not allowing multiple teen passengers in a car with a teenage driver as well. But I don't know if it ever passed. If so that might be one way to lessen the temptation to impress their peers with how fast they can drive.

And the old folks need to be tested every two after say 70 or so.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
As I understand it those under 18 are operating on a provisional license with time restrictions and such. If they are caught breaking any traffic law the period of the provisional license is extended until 18 months after the event. If some of you are so concerned about the driving tactics of these kids you should get the tag number, description of the car and occupants, and report them to the police including what you observed, the location, and time. Once the cops know they have a wild one on their hands they will be looking for them. The cops just can’t be everywhere all of the time.

To arbitrarily lump all young drivers into this is unfair as I know, and have known, many that truly respect the fact that they are operating a potentially deadly weapon and treat it accordingly. I also have known many older drivers that are worse then any kid you see out there, so it isn’t all about age or experience, it’s about how they were raised by their parents or the inner fiber of their character.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
I'm glad you posted that, Ken. I really don't think that most kids get a fair shake because a few of them are little monsters.

I think if people would quit bitching and get active they could get some of these drivers "straightened out". I know if I see someone operating in a dangerous manner I report them. I have even reported officers and stood by while they were called in and issued a citation for the act I reported.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
...I have even reported officers and stood by while they were called in and issued a citation for the act I reported.
Have you been pulled over coming out of your driveway lately?

:lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jetmonkey

No, I better just hide in my office. I'm using today's Post to tape over my windows so I don't turn anybody else's stomache with my ugly face.
If you do that then you'll be surrounded with that leftist drivel where ever you glance! :lmao:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle955

Have you been pulled over coming out of your driveway lately?

:lol:

Nope, I made it clear to the shift supervisor that any retaliation wouldn't be tolerated and that they like me are subject to the same rules of the road. None have taken the citations to court to dispute them and I know of one officer that lost an upcoming promotion because of his neglegent driving that I reported.

If I am caught doing something wrong I expect a ticket, but haven't had one in several years because I learned early what bad driving leads to.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Cari, You know a talking horse!? How cool is that! :lmao:

I love your flame wars Jet, makes for interesting reading! :D

G

giggles04

Originally posted by Ken King

To arbitrarily lump all young drivers into this is unfair as I know, and have known, many that truly respect the fact that they are operating a potentially deadly weapon and treat it accordingly. I also have known many older drivers that are worse then any kid you see out there, so it isn’t all about age or experience, it’s about how they were raised by their parents or the inner fiber of their character.

Thank you for this post. I know that I'm the young one in here... so I feel like I need to put my two cents in. When I was first able to drive, like a lot of my friends, I was scared to death! Didn't want to go too fast, or have anybody with me. I didn't have my first car given to me really. My parents let me drive my grandfather's 1984 Ford f150... and I'm glad of it. Better to learn how to drive in an older car anyways. Plus I learned how to drive in a field anyway. But, I must say, when I took driver's ed almost four years ago, it did not do a thing for me at all. I'm glad that the laws have changed so that people have to have at least 40 some hours behind the wheel before they can get their license. The more experience driving, the better. I think that they should make it a law of some sort to not let teenagers have passengers in the car until 18. It is not good to have distractions as a first time driver. But anyways, not all teenagers drive like a maniac... there are ones like me around this county!!! Let me not even get started on the guys that have been hanging around Checkers doing their own version of Fast and the Furious around here. Just if you see someone driving out of control... get the tags... and call them in. that will change their tune.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by jetmonkey

Is that so? I have always been under the impression that the word of a citizen alone was not enough to cite someone with a traffic violation, otherwaise every jackass with a boner for someone would be harrassing them all day with phony infraction reports. I'm pretty sure my cop buddies have told me this.

Jet, I could care less if you believe it or not but it is the truth. Granted I was very specific about what I reported and had statements from other witnesses willing to testify so maybe that makes the difference. What would you do, just ignore it?