Websites for a hobby?

Caddyman

snazzy title here
Anyone else a webmaster here? I don't know it is would call myself a Webmaster maybe like a webnovice..r? haha

Yeah but websites is my hobby, I work FT in the Engineering field and run a few websites on the side. Maybe one day the sites will make more then i make now and i can be my own boss, that is my goal ultimately.

I started using forums probably 4 years ago, the first forum i was on was for modding cell phones, i liked it and thought it was cool i could so easily connect with other that shared my interest. I worked my way up on that forum to where i was a Co-Admin. The admin and I became friends and he kept bugging me to start my own forum, i was hesitant, eventually though i caved and started my first site and it was all down hill from there. Forums are addictive and the people you meet sometimes become very good friends.

I decided my first site would be about Delaware. I actually live in Delaware now, in New Castle. It was started because i was posting on another DE forum and some of the good people there hated it cause it was not, in any way, moderated and trolls abounded. I decided that TalkDelaware (TD) would be the site i started and I did. It really took off, i was surprised by the suport i got from other Delawareans and it is now one of the top sites in Delaware period. We are enrolled in the Adopt-A-Highway program and also made a Appearance at the Special Olympics Plane Pull this year.

Then i entered TD into a contest on a admin forum and won another license for the forum software i use. My friend Green Lantern suggested we start a similar site for PA so we did that, TalkPennsylvania was born. We have had some rough patches there with bickering but overall it is doing very well.

Since Green Lantern lives in PA and is a "local" he runs that site and I share any revenue with him, I made it this way so people on the site didn't look at me as greedy, cause im not, im just trying to help people in these areas connect. All the sites are absolutely free of course to join and participate.

NOW with a suggestion from another friend, Frogman, i have started TalkMaryland. For basically the same reasons as i started the other sites, to give people another place to come together and chat. TalkMD is still pretty brand new and i have some members of the other sites pitching in to get it on it's feet but I hope that it will be popular in time.

so that's my hobby, anyone else run any websites? need any help with them? i'm always down for helping people out wherever i can...

-Caddy

MrX

High Octane
Cant say I run any right now, but like yourself have was a moderator then an admin on a cell phone modding site or two. Its something that interests me, just never persued it any further. Good luck with yours :yay:

Caddyman

snazzy title here
Mr. X, what sites? I stuck mainly to the Nextel/iDEN sites myself....

InsiderForums
LowandLoud
TheNextelForums
NextelModz
A little on HoFo but....eh....kinda too strict there....lol

MrX

High Octane
Mr. X, what sites? I stuck mainly to the Nextel/iDEN sites myself....

InsiderForums
LowandLoud
TheNextelForums
NextelModz
A little on HoFo but....eh....kinda too strict there....lol

Me too :roflmao:

Not like there were too many modding sites for the other carriers though.

I was on all of the above, plus DJJeffa , Nextel Elite (moderator) , Nextel Hack (admin), and a few others whose names escape me right now.

I still have a ton of Nextel parts at home in the attic, as well as a few phones.

Caddyman

snazzy title here
Then you should recognize my username MR.!

I know Jeff pretty well, and Nextel Elite was spawned from the grandaddy of them all IdenBros (my first forum i was ever a member of)

MrX

High Octane
Then you should recognize my username MR.!

I know Jeff pretty well, and Nextel Elite was spawned from the grandaddy of them all IdenBros (my first forum i was ever a member of)

Mine was also the same.....

of course its been quite a while since ive been on any of them regularly.

kelb

art imitating life
Anyone else a webmaster here? I don't know it is would call myself a Webmaster maybe like a webnovice..r? haha

Yeah but websites is my hobby, I work FT in the Engineering field and run a few websites on the side. Maybe one day the sites will make more then i make now and i can be my own boss, that is my goal ultimately.

I started using forums probably 4 years ago, the first forum i was on was for modding cell phones, i liked it and thought it was cool i could so easily connect with other that shared my interest. I worked my way up on that forum to where i was a Co-Admin. The admin and I became friends and he kept bugging me to start my own forum, i was hesitant, eventually though i caved and started my first site and it was all down hill from there. Forums are addictive and the people you meet sometimes become very good friends.

I decided my first site would be about Delaware. I actually live in Delaware now, in New Castle. It was started because i was posting on another DE forum and some of the good people there hated it cause it was not, in any way, moderated and trolls abounded. I decided that TalkDelaware (TD) would be the site i started and I did. It really took off, i was surprised by the suport i got from other Delawareans and it is now one of the top sites in Delaware period. We are enrolled in the Adopt-A-Highway program and also made a Appearance at the Special Olympics Plane Pull this year.

Then i entered TD into a contest on a admin forum and won another license for the forum software i use. My friend Green Lantern suggested we start a similar site for PA so we did that, TalkPennsylvania was born. We have had some rough patches there with bickering but overall it is doing very well.

Since Green Lantern lives in PA and is a "local" he runs that site and I share any revenue with him, I made it this way so people on the site didn't look at me as greedy, cause im not, im just trying to help people in these areas connect. All the sites are absolutely free of course to join and participate.

NOW with a suggestion from another friend, Frogman, i have started TalkMaryland. For basically the same reasons as i started the other sites, to give people another place to come together and chat. TalkMD is still pretty brand new and i have some members of the other sites pitching in to get it on it's feet but I hope that it will be popular in time.

so that's my hobby, anyone else run any websites? need any help with them? i'm always down for helping people out wherever i can...

-Caddy

Im def. a novice but I do it and get paid LOL I do the Memories web page MEMORIES Nightclub & Bar of Waldorf, MD but they are on a budget and only let me do so much and I'm building a new one for restaurant that will open soon.

Caddyman

snazzy title here
Very cool kel, the more you work online, the more you learn. I am a HORRIBLE coder, but im good with gfx/photoshop

Claff

I've run a little site that's covered a small NASCAR series (formerly Busch North, then Busch East, now Camping World East Series) for about 12 years now. I've gone from NASCAR telling me "we don't feed web sites" to having their media people asking me to help them out with some program they're running or to be at an event they want a little extra coverage at.

Like I said, I started it in 1996 and my coding ability hasn't progressed much since that point. It's content-driven rather than any ooh-ahh design appeal. We do live at-track reporting and then after the event I'll put up a bunch of photos that the wife takes over the course of the event.

Back when it started I had a message board but shut that down when it became too much work to babysit, and haven't looked back. I figure if you do a good enough job producing content, you don't need the public chiming in, especially when you don't know what they're going to say.

For the curious: EastSeries.com - Complete Coverage of the NASCAR Camping World East Series

I also do some sites for a few of the teams on the series for fun money but will probably be giving that up, too much work for not enough fun. Might even give up chasing racing sooner rather than later, might be time for a new hobby.

For stuff that isn't really racing related I throw it on my sporadically updated, minimalist 'personal' site Claffie.com

Caddyman

snazzy title here
The racing site looks goof Claff, really good, and as they always say "content is king" so you are right on the money. Some people like forums, some don't, I'm not much of a writer and I like the community feel so I run forums, but as long as you got good, fresh, content, the search engines and traffic will come. :)