Got Bit By a Copperhead A couple days ago...

S

shiki

got out of hospital today. Any info on what to expect or look out for? I was given ante venom which I was highly sensitive to, blood thinners, painkillers, steroids, antihistamines etc. Any thing to be concerned about?

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
got out of hospital today. Any info on what to expect or look out for? I was given ante venom which I was highly sensitive to, blood thinners, painkillers, steroids, antihistamines etc. Any thing to be concerned about?
No advice but, wow. Glad you are ok.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

Good Lord! Hope you are doing alright - I'm sorry to hear that!

morningbell

hmmmmmm

Holy crap! What was it like? What were you doing? You weren't trying to pet it were you? :lmao:

Steroids suck. I was given them for my back pain in the beginging of the year, I had never felt so low in my life, laid in bed most days, cried a lot.

Hope you're feeling 100% soon!

bcp

In My Opinion
copperhead bites are nasty, but not at all fatal. (maybe for the elderly or small children)
the worst thing is the possibility of some local (to the bite) tissue destruction, other than that, swelling, muscle pain and a headache are what can be expected.
most the time they dont give anti venom unless you were bitten by more than one snake at a time. lethal dose is around 100 mg and the average snake will produce only 60 to 70mg

let us know how this works out for you.

S

shiki

Holy crap! What was it like? What were you doing? You weren't trying to pet it were you? :lmao:

Steroids suck. I was given them for my back pain in the beginging of the year, I had never felt so low in my life, laid in bed most days, cried a lot.

Hope you're feeling 100% soon!

Let's just say it required massive amounts of stupidity to pull off. My friend Jenn brought it in a plastic icecream tub and said it had bitten her and it hurt like hell and could I tell whether it was a copperhead. So I grabbed the ice cream tub and opened it and said yep looks like copperhead.

It was dinky and absolutely adorable. Then Olive, my Jack Russell started barking and trying to get at the snake so I pushed her away and the snake struck me hard as I went to put the lid on.

It was pretty stunning and began to burn immediately. Called the ambulance and asked them to come pick me up told them what happened. Jenn went back over to her mother's house with the snake.

Jenny was hiding out cuz she didn't want to go to the hospital but I told on her and the paramedics scooped her up and off to the hospital we went. Its a long story but it involves lots of pain, needles, shots, hives, ridicule, and lots of drugs, all provided in a hospital setting.

One thing that makes you nervous is that the doctors are looking up sh1t on google to formulate a treatment plan.
It was pretty wicked.

belvak

Happy Camper
Wow! Glad you're okay. We had one about 2 feet long in our backyard a week or so ago. Hubby scooped it up in a trash can and dumped it in the woods. I was told once that the babies were the worst to get bitten by because they didn't know how to control the amount of venom they injected. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not though.

SoMDGirl42

It's always been my experience that the hospital would give you detailed discharge instructions to follow including what signs to look out for and what to be concerned about. Might be better off following those orders then requesting input from a bunch of strangers. Your last request for advice didn't turn out so well.

BTW, glad you're ok. Hope you feel better soon.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Wow! Glad you're okay. We had one about 2 feet long in our backyard a week or so ago. Hubby scooped it up in a trash can and dumped it in the woods. I was told once that the babies were the worst to get bitten by because they didn't know how to control the amount of venom they injected. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not though.

We KILL copperheads...scoop and dump black snakes in the woods...

belvak

Happy Camper
We KILL copperheads...scoop and dump black snakes in the woods...

He doesn't kill any snakes. He works around them all the time, so he has gotten used to them and says they all serve a purpose. As long as they don't come into my house, they can live.

S

shiki

It's always been my experience that the hospital would give you detailed discharge instructions to follow including what signs to look out for and what to be concerned about. Might be better off following those orders then requesting input from a bunch of strangers. Your last request for advice didn't turn out so well.

you would think that. They gave me no instructions whatsoever except I'm off work for 3 days.
In fact my friend who was bit first was discharged yesterday after first being told her finger was going necrotic and she would likely have to have it amputated, then that she was just fine, ciao. Walked her down the block a bit and bid her adieu.

This morning however they called her back frantic saying she was supposed to have been admitted but the let her go by mistake and that it was imperative that she come back in.

So yeah. Like I said, if your docs are getting their treatment plan on google, that is prolly a BAD sign.

you would think that. They gave me no instructions whatsoever except I'm off work for 3 days.
In fact my friend who was bit first was discharged yesterday after first being told her finger was going necrotic and she would likely have to have it amputated, then that she was just fine, ciao. Walked her down the block a bit and bid her adieu.

This morning however they called her back frantic saying she was supposed to have been admitted but the let her go by mistake and that it was imperative that she come back in.

So yeah. Like I said, if your docs are getting their treatment plan on google, that is prolly a BAD sign.

Which hospital was this?

Geek

Let's just say it required massive amounts of stupidity to pull off. My friend Jenn brought it in a plastic icecream tub and said it had bitten her and it hurt like hell and could I tell whether it was a copperhead. So I grabbed the ice cream tub and opened it and said yep looks like copperhead.

It was dinky and absolutely adorable. Then Olive, my Jack Russell started barking and trying to get at the snake so I pushed her away and the snake struck me hard as I went to put the lid on.

It was pretty stunning and began to burn immediately. Called the ambulance and asked them to come pick me up told them what happened. Jenn went back over to her mother's house with the snake.

Jenny was hiding out cuz she didn't want to go to the hospital but I told on her and the paramedics scooped her up and off to the hospital we went. Its a long story but it involves lots of pain, needles, shots, hives, ridicule, and lots of drugs, all provided in a hospital setting.

One thing that makes you nervous is that the doctors are looking up sh1t on google to formulate a treatment plan.
It was pretty wicked.

I am glad you are ok and you might want to get to your GP.

On a side note, I love how you tell a story :roflmao:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Wow...

Kind of scarey they had to look it up on Google. I would have been...excuse...can I go to DC or another hospital please...

I would also kill the copperhead after I screamed like a little girl.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

:yeahthat: If a doctor doesn't give you the info, you need to make sure to ask him/her.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

:jameo: :jameo: :jameo:

I can't believe your friend tried to hide from the ambulance :lmao:

Its scary that the Drs were second guessing, you don't want to mess with that stuff. Its as if you could have stayed home with your friend, googled and treated yourself. HellIf you still had the copperhead you could probably creat the anti venom yourself :doh:

I found this out reading about treatment. Looks like it happened to you.

Really I'm glad you and your friend are feeling better :huggy:

What happened to "Bitey" the Copperhead?