I need a Cockatiel Expert

M

Mousebaby

One of my cockatiels, that I thought was male, is laying eggs!!!! :faint:

What do I do??? I have never done this kind of thing before, I have no idea where to go from here. I know I should be feeding momma a special diet, but what??? HELP!!!! :jameo:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Call RIPLEYS.. Call the Wahington Post!!

A male cockatiel laying eggs. . It'a MIRACLE..

(do any of the eggs have ANY resemblance at all to Jesus?)

M

Mousebaby

Call RIPLEYS.. Call the Wahington Post!!

A male cockatiel laying eggs. . It'a MIRACLE..

(do any of the eggs have ANY resemblance at all to Jesus?)

Not unless he was short, round and bald. :shrug:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Feed her the same until eggs hatch...make sure she has a calcium block while she is laying..good luck...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Is a cuttlebone the same thing?

yes they deplete their calcium when laying...do you have a pair?? Can you post pics? Are they grays...If so the fe has a gray cheek and the male yellow...post pics..also candle the eggs at a week and see if they are fertile..

M

Mousebaby

Mouse, did you plan on breeding them? You can just throw the eggs away. :shrug:

Nope, I thought they were both males. I can't stand the thoughts of throwing babies away! :frown:

The female is a Pearl and the male is a Pied. I have pics of both, got to upload them.

M

Mousebaby

Here is Sanji, this is the female.

Sanji_2a.jpg

This is Jerry the male.

Beautiful_Jerry_2.jpg

Sanji was very young in the first picture. I don't have any recent ones of her.

Cowgirl

To me if it is fertilized there is a baby in there, there is no way I am going to throw it away. That is how I feel. :shrug:

That's fine. I just grew up eating chicken eggs that were fertilized. Of course, we collected them before they started growing (most times :dead). There's no way were were going to let them all hatch. :lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
yes that is a pair...male and female..if the pearl were a male he would have lost the pearl markings by now...the male is a pied not a normal...you will get some pretty babies out of them..where did she nest? Is the male taking interest in the eggs?? Anyway the pearl is a hen not a cocck...Ray Charles could have seen that....:whistle:

M

Mousebaby

yes that is a pair...male and female..if the pearl were a male he would have lost the pearl markings by now...the male is a pied not a normal...you will get some pretty babies out of them..where did she nest? Is the male taking interest in the eggs?? Anyway the pearl is a hen not a cocck...Ray Charles could have seen that....:whistle:

I had seen the hen acting suspicious by bobbing up in down in the food cup so I thought to myself, self you better get a nesting box, so I did. :lol:

I have no clue how to make out what is what in birds. So it was a complete shock to me! :lmao:

He is going in the box and staying a while, I am wondering if he is sitting on them too. I know NOTHING about this so clue me in.

It's funny he will call and call for her and she will go to him and he will run away. I'm not sure he knows what to do and I'm not sure if the eggs in the box are fertile. Time will tell, speaking of which, how long does it take them to hatch usually?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I do not remember I think 21 days...better look it up..what is in the bottom of the nest box..not wood right? You put shavings in there? Leave them alone feed her other food when they hatch...worry about that later...

yes he will sit the eggs too...if he shows interest he probably did breed her..

M

Mousebaby

I do not remember I think 21 days...better look it up..what is in the bottom of the nest box..not wood right? You put shavings in there? Leave them alone feed her other food when they hatch...worry about that later...

yes he will sit the eggs too...if he shows interest he probably did breed her..

Yeah, Petco told me to put some aspen pine shavings in the box and to tear up all white paper towels and put them in the cage for her to build the nest. She did real well with the nest, I think he helped her do that too.

I think your right about the 21 days, that rings a bell from science class. :lol: