Cardio and Weights - How much?

Khurley

I am trying to revamp my workout routine. I have been doing mostly aerobic/spin classes with the weights incorporated into the classes. I've been doing this for a year now and as I said in the other post I'm not seeing the results I want.

What works for you??? I was thinking of exercising 4 days a week and alternating 2 days of Spin and 2 days of weight training. Is that to simple?

thurley42

HY;FR
I am trying to revamp my workout routine. I have been doing mostly aerobic/spin classes with the weights incorporated into the classes. I've been doing this for a year now and as I said in the other post I'm not seeing the results I want.

What works for you??? I was thinking of exercising 4 days a week and alternating 2 days of Spin and 2 days of weight training. Is that to simple?

really depends on what your goals are....by the above routine I would say you are interested in staying where you currently are. Is that true?

Nice name btw!

Khurley

A fellow "Hurley"!

I want to loose about 10-15 pounds which are just stuck at this point. Is it possible to be on a year plateau???? I have 2 kids so I can't spend my life at the gym, but I can fit in an hour 4-5 days a week.

thurley42

HY;FR
A fellow "Hurley"!

I want to loose about 10-15 pounds which are just stuck at this point. Is it possible to be on a year plateau???? I have 2 kids so I can't spend my life at the gym, but I can fit in an hour 4-5 days a week.

you don't really have to be at the gym....you can do cardio at home..or just go for a short jog/run..doing cardio after weight training is a lot more beneficial than either alone.

Plus, stating the obvious, you have to have a solid diet in place...which is my struggling point!

If you want to lose 15 pounds are are stuck i would say kick your cardio up to 5 days a week after lifting....i would kick think about stepping up weight training to 4 days a week, do cardio after...then two days a week take a walk or run at home or something(if able)

I am sure it's really tough with kids so just do as much as you can afford to do..the main thing when you hit that plateau is to change it up!

Khurley

Great - thanks! I always do cardio and weights on different days. I'll try weights then cardio together rather than one or the other.

B

Big Fatty

As a former personal trainer, whenever I hear "I want to lost that last XXX lbs." I think its totally diet related.

Weight loss of this nature is also made more difficult because your body is at a point of balance. What I mean is your body doesn't want to lose more weight. You have to go beyond what is "normal" to lose the weight. You then have to ask yourself, am I willing to make the sacrifices necessary to lose the weight? Can I maintain it? Will it involve life-changing factors that are beyond reasonable expectations?

If you are serious about losing this type of weight you must prepare yourself.

Warnecutz would be more well-versed than I am on cutting weight and the tricks needed to succeed. I can tell you that diet manipulation is more important than your training plan though.

Good luck! :buddies:

KMPaddy2255

I'm reading this as I eat my Moose Tracks ice cream...lol. It's bad
I know, but I just had to have it.

I lost 24lbs without a gym membership. I would run every other day, and
do weight training on the days that I didn't do cardio. I had alot of home exercises I did with free weights. I now can afford the gym membership so I do less weights more reps to burn fat, and cardio atleast 3 to 4 times a week. The hardest part for me was changing my diet, because we (family) always at alot of red meats and startches. So now I eat alot of protein (chicken, tuna, and some fish), and replaced the startches with steamed veggies or rice. Every now and then I get to cheat (i.e. today), and that makes it nice.

Good luck! :howdy:

thurley42

HY;FR
As a former personal trainer, whenever I hear "I want to lost that last XXX lbs." I think its totally diet related.

Weight loss of this nature is also made more difficult because your body is at a point of balance. What I mean is your body doesn't want to lose more weight. You have to go beyond what is "normal" to lose the weight. You then have to ask yourself, am I willing to make the sacrifices necessary to lose the weight? Can I maintain it? Will it involve life-changing factors that are beyond reasonable expectations?

If you are serious about losing this type of weight you must prepare yourself.

Warnecutz would be more well-versed than I am on cutting weight and the tricks needed to succeed. I can tell you that diet manipulation is more important than your training plan though.

Good luck! :buddies:

yeah...what he said

but the frequency of her prior training (2 days of weights 2 days of cardio not in conjunction) wasn't very conducive to fat loss, just by joining the two and doing it more frequently will shock the body into dropping pounds no problem.

B

Big Fatty

do weight training on the days that I didn't do cardio. I had alot of home exercises I did with free weights. I now can afford the gym membership so I do less weights more reps to burn fat, and cardio atleast 3 to 4 times a week. The hardest part for me was changing my diet, because we (family) always at alot of red meats and startches. So now I eat alot of protein (chicken, tuna, and some fish), and replaced the startches with steamed veggies or rice. Every now and then I get to cheat (i.e. today), and that makes it nice.

This is the formula folks!!!

KMPaddy has it figured out. She changed her lifestyle, nutritional habits, and found a way to exercise. She did not make excuses. She overcame obstacles and found a way!

Good job! Now why can't other people just get it?

Khurley

KMPaddy- How many miles or what was the length of time you ran every other day? Just curious about the amount of cardio.

MrX

High Octane

:clap: nice work girl! Now get over here and help meeeee :lol:

millertc

I lost 40 pounds after I had my daughter (3 years ago) by running 3 miles a day/5 days a week. I also do light weight/high reps 4 days a week at home. I eat pretty good during the week (chicken, veggies, fruit, plenty of water). I also signed up for boot camp on Saturday mornings just to kick it up a notch.

Last edited:
B

Big Fatty

I lost 40 pounds after I had my daughter (3 years ago) by running 3 miles a day/5 days a week. I also do light weight/high reps 4 days a week at home. I eat pretty good during the week (chicken, veggies, fruit, plenty of water). I also signed up for boot camp on Saturday mornings just to kick it up a notch.

Khurley

Do you see the similarities in these nice ladies' posts? Please do not misinterpret or take this the wrong way. I am only trying to help.

These ladies figured out what worked for them. The combination of cardio, weights, diet is very powerful. I would recommend scrutinizing what you are doing currently with all three and change it. I would recommend starting with diet only. Use the examples above. Try it for 6 weeks. Be strict. If you don't see results in that time frame, don't be discouraged. Change up something else.
Remember that there are many variables that can be manipulated here. Exercise/Activity has a lot. Frequency, time, intensity, type of exercise/activity, sets, repetitions, volume, load, rest/recovery are all variables that you have control of. The ladies above gave some detail as to how they manipulated these variables to work for them. If you hit a plateau then these variables need to be changed.
Diet is very similar. Frequency, time, volume/meal, nutrient split(ie. pro, carbs, fat), types of food, total calories, etc. can be manipulated.

Each individual is unique as to what works for them. However, there are some constants that work for everyone. Good luck! :buddies:

KMPaddy2255

Khurley

Do you see the similarities in these nice ladies' posts? Please do not misinterpret or take this the wrong way. I am only trying to help.

These ladies figured out what worked for them. The combination of cardio, weights, diet is very powerful. I would recommend scrutinizing what you are doing currently with all three and change it. I would recommend starting with diet only. Use the examples above. Try it for 6 weeks. Be strict. If you don't see results in that time frame, don't be discouraged. Change up something else.
Remember that there are many variables that can be manipulated here. Exercise/Activity has a lot. Frequency, time, intensity, type of exercise/activity, sets, repetitions, volume, load, rest/recovery are all variables that you have control of. The ladies above gave some detail as to how they manipulated these variables to work for them. If you hit a plateau then these variables need to be changed.
Diet is very similar. Frequency, time, volume/meal, nutrient split(ie. pro, carbs, fat), types of food, total calories, etc. can be manipulated.

Each individual is unique as to what works for them. However, there are some constants that work for everyone. Good luck! :buddies:

I think of it as a life style change. :smoochy:

Khurley

All of the advice is awesome - no offense taken. I've lost about 40 pounds, but those last ones are just stuck. I totally agree about the diet, but the different routines are great.