St. Marys County Sheriff contest

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Why, oh why...should any of the clowns currently running for the TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT position in the county get any of our votes when they are so eager to BREAK THE LAW by posting their election signs before they are legally allowed to?????? Are they EXEMPT from the law?:boo:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Voter2002
Why, oh why...should any of the clowns currently running for the TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT position in the county get any of our votes when they are so eager to BREAK THE LAW by posting their election signs before they are legally allowed to?????? Are they EXEMPT from the law?:boo:

What sign/s are you refering to? The one in the back of the pickup near Callaway? If so, I can't find anything that says it is against the law. You can advertise from the back of a pickup all day long and for as long as you want. It is when you attach it to a post or pole in the ground that the 45 day and other rules comes into affect.

charlie

A political sign on the back of a truck is illegal if the truck is parked there permantly. Not if it's moving up and down the road ie: bumper stickers. No permanent signs can be placed until 45 days before the election on Sept. 10.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by charlie
A political sign on the back of a truck is illegal if the truck is parked there permantly. Not if it's moving up and down the road ie: bumper stickers. No permanent signs can be placed until 45 days before the election on Sept. 10.

Could you cite where in Maryland law or under the SHA rules and regulations where you have found this information or is it just your gut instinct? As that truck runs, isn't up on blocks, and can move it isn't permanent. Also it does not sit within the bounds of the state right of way, so how can you say it is illegal and more importantly where is your proof?

charlie

Planning and Zoning has come up with that plan. That's who Board of Elections sends you to with questions about signs.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by charlie
Planning and Zoning has come up with that plan. That's who Board of Elections sends you to with questions about signs.

So if they are sending you to planning and zoning maybe that candidate went ahead and purchased a permit to erect the sign. Otherwise a candidate would follow the SHA rules that say you don't need a permit if the signs are up only 45 days prior to the event and the loser takes them down within 15 days after the election. This information was located on the link for the Maryland Election Commission page.

I have been reading the Election section of Maryland Code and I haven't found where what you say is illegal, not yet anyway, I'll keep reading.

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
If all signs are illegal 45 days prior, I would think that would include billboards. There is a billboard erected on Great Mills rd as you are coming from Route 5. It is for the upcoming sheriff's election. Has been up over a week.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The sheriff elections in St. Mary's have been sickening for as long as I can remember. Factions within the sheriff's department line up behind the candidates. The problem is worse when the candidates are active deputies. The result is that nothing gets done, because of all the internal politics. At one point, the department had something like three or four unsolved murders on its hands, in a county that probably has half a dozen a year. It's been 10 years and the Sara Sapp murder is still unsolved.

Originally posted by Voter2002

The only two I see still advertising is Sacks and Morris. The others have pulled in their signs once they were advised of the new ordinance interpretation by Robin Guyther.:confused:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by Crabby Old Lady
If all signs are illegal 45 days prior, I would think that would include billboards. There is a billboard erected on Great Mills rd as you are coming from Route 5. It is for the upcoming sheriff's election. Has been up over a week.

The 45 day rule is for election signs that are exempt from paying the permit fee. If one chooses to get a permit then they wouldn't be restricted by the rules for the "no permit required" signs.

bad1032

Tonio
first off you need to know the facts.The sapp murder is a very sad case but it was a state police case.As far as the signs go the ones that were illegal those canidates were told to remove them,they DIDNT.So if they can not follow simple directions what kind of leadership will they bring.NONE.That is why my vote will be for Zylak:D

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
It was a state police case.

Really? I remember reading that deputies were involved as investigators.

Well, anyway Claudia Pickeral's murder is a better example. Part of the problem was that Dorsey and Voorhaar had such animosity toward each other. These two couldn't agree on whether the sky is blue. I believe the investigation went nowhere for years because they kept stonewalling each other.

bad1032

Yes that is true,the Sheriffs office did get involved in the case.4 or 5 years down the road.They had nothing to do with the initial investigation.The Pickeral case did get solved it just took longer.

Sweetie

Originally posted by Tonio

Really? I remember reading that deputies were involved as investigators.

Well, anyway Claudia Pickeral's murder is a better example. Part of the problem was that Dorsey and Voorhaar had such animosity toward each other. These two couldn't agree on whether the sky is blue. I believe the investigation went nowhere for years because they kept stonewalling each other.

Tonio,

Your wrong, it's not that Voorhaar and Dorsey have animosity toward one another; the fact is a detective (now retired) screwed the investigation. The detective let citizens hang around the crime scene and help search for evidence. The case would have been solved sooner if the detective would have done his job correct. So don't throws stone at Voorhaar before you know the facts.

Sweetie

Originally posted by jetmonkey

Aren't detectives political appointees who serve at the will of the Sheriff? If he appointed incompetent jerks like you maintain is he not at fault?

You are correct the SHERIFF is ultimately responsible for everything that happens in the Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff needs to keep a grip on what's happening in his agency.:whip:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Sweetie

Tonio,

Your wrong, it's not that Voorhaar and Dorsey have animosity toward one another; the fact is a detective (now retired) screwed the investigation. The detective let citizens hang around the crime scene and help search for evidence. The case would have been solved sooner if the detective would have done his job correct. So don't throws stone at Voorhaar before you know the facts.

Sweetie

I'm not trying to throw stones at any one person. I don't have any animosity toward Voorhaar, or toward Dorsey for that matter. My original point was about the sheriff's department focusing more on political infighting than on law enforcement. I see the problem as larger than any one sheriff or deputy. I maintain that it's VERY possible that this infighting is the root cause of the department's poor performance in solving murders. I hear about some of the politics through the grapevine, but there's obviously a LOT more I need to know.

Sweetie

Originally posted by Tonio

I'm not trying to throw stones at any one person. I don't have any animosity toward Voorhaar, or toward Dorsey for that matter. My original point was about the sheriff's department focusing more on political infighting than on law enforcement. I see the problem as larger than any one sheriff or deputy. I maintain that it's VERY possible that this infighting is the root cause of the department's poor performance in solving murders. I hear about some of the politics through the grapevine, but there's obviously a LOT more I need to know.

I didn't mean to offend you. A political gragevine is just that. People should do their research and, know that facts before opening their mouth. I'm sure there will be alot more sling of the "grapevine" before this election is over. As far as fighting in the Sheriff's Department; the Sheriff does his best with the man power, and budget his has. The present Commissioners need to setup to the plate and support the Sheriff for a change. He has done everything in his power to work with them. It's the Commissioners not responding.

Sweetie

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Hey, no problem! I wasn't offended at all. I haven't decided on a candidate in the Sheriff's race. Of course, since I'm not registered with a political party, I can't vote in the primary. So I'll just have to decide between the Dem nominee and the Rep nominee. Too bad the GOP isn't allowing independents to vote in their primary like in 2000! :sad:

David Zylak

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Race

Hello Somd. Forum members,

My name is David Zylak and I am a Democratic candidate for Sheriff in St. Mary's County. By following the forums, I guess most of you know that by now. As an advertiser on Southern Maryland On-line, I do watch the forums, particularly the threads pertaining to my race. It's nice to see some supporters coming to my aid and to all of them I say THANK YOU.

I have watched for awhile and felt that I should sign on and address any concerns of those who have questions about me and my campaign. I am the best to ask and no one has emailed me from my website to find answers.

I will try to answer any questions pertaining to the campaign, but please do not ask about investigations that may be active. I most likely do not have an answer and if I did, I would not be permitted to discuss it. If anyone has a question of me that they would rather not post on the forum, please email me at david@davidzylak.com

Thank you all for your interest in the Office of Sheriff and please come out and vote on September 10th. Your vote does count.

David