Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NOT SURE

• AWSOME FIX

• Total voters
K

KaZamm1061

I found a site that tells you how to stop those annoying pop ups while surfing the net. Since i followed the instructions i havent had one pop up. Hope it works for you guys.

How to modify your system to not receive NetBIOS (PopUp) messages

To disable the ability for anyone in the world to send netbios messages to your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse if you wish to later.

To deliver the message these types of programs uses a NetBios call built into the Windows API.

Please note that this does will not affect the popular Microsoft MSN Messenger. These are two completely different applications, and disabling the Windows Messenger Service will not disable the popular Windows Messenger chat program..

Step-By-Steps to disable Messenger Service on your computer.

This information is provided free of charge.

In Windows XP:
(1) Select "Start"
(2) Choose "Control Panel"
(3) Click Performance and Maintenance (if in Category View)
(4) Choose "Administrative Tools"
(5) Choose "Services"
(6) Right-click on "Messenger"
(7) Select "Stop" - This stops it for this computer session.
To permanently disable Messenger:
(8) Right click "Messenger"
(9) Select "Properties"
(10) Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled" and click "OK"

In Windows 2000:
(1) Select "Start"
(2) Choose "Programs"
(3) Choose "Administrative Tools"
(4) Choose "Services"
(5) Right-click "Messenger"
(6) Select "Properties"
(7) Click "Stop" - This stops it for this computer session.
To permanently disable Messenger:
(8) Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled" and click "OK"

--- That's all you need to do ---

Windows 98/ME

Remove or disable the file and printer sharing from your network configuration.

Disabling File & Printer Sharing on a Single Computer
If you are only using a single computer (not using a LAN), File & Printer Sharing should be disabled to reduce any potential security risks on your PC. Please use the following instructions to disable File & Printer Sharing:

On the desktop, double-click on My Computer.
Double-click on Control Panel.
Double-click on Network.
From the Configuration tab, click on the File & Print Sharing button.
Turn off file sharing and print sharing by clicking each box to remove the check marks.
Click on the OK button.
Select the TCP/IP protocol that is pointing to your Ethernet card or USB cable modem.
Click on the Properties button and click on the Bindings tab.
Click to uncheck the boxes next to "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks". NOTE: If there is more than one listing of TCP/IP, steps 7-9 should be repeated.
Click the OK button twice and restart your computer.

Enabling File & Printer Sharing on a Local Area Network
If you wish to share files on a Local Area Network (LAN), you should use File & Printer Sharing with NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a safe, non-routable protocol that can be used on a LAN to share files and printers.

Ensure that TCP/IP is not bound to File & Printer Sharing as shown in the previous section.
On the desktop, double-click on My Computer.
Double-click on Control Panel.
Double-click on Network.
Click on the Add button.
Select Protocol, then click the Add button.
Under Manufacturers, click on Microsoft and then double-click NetBEUI.
Click on the OK button to restart your computer.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Sharon
Sounds like a lot of trouble. I just use Mozilla.
its not takes about 10 seconds to stop a service..........Thats all I did, never got a pop up since.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by mainman
:confused:

Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them he enters suffering in order that they may have existence.

K

KaZamm1061

Yes you can use mozilla but think about this. when you use mozilla you are using up 1.)hard drive space 2.)your system memory to run that program 3.) the time it takes to reboot your computer is slower if you have it set to start when rebooting your pc. Just a thought.

bottoms up

Originally posted by Kain99
Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them he enters suffering in order that they may have existence.

is that from Legends of the Fall? :bubble:

Warron

I never get netbios popups, but then I use a software firewall (zonealarm) and a hardware firewall (linksys router). And yes, I know zonealarm add's to system overhead, but there are alot more things to protect against besides netbios popups. Now if you find a way to get rid of the browser based popup's without having software running in the background, I would be interested in knowing.

Now that I think about it, I believe I turned this off anyways. I went through windows awhile ago and turned off pretty much everything I could get away with and didn't use. At home I have a link to a page that tells how to turn off all kinds of useless processes that run in the background in windows. I will post the link when I get home if I remember.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Warron
I never get netbios popups, but then I use a software firewall (zonealarm) and a hardware firewall (linksys router). And yes, I know zonealarm add's to system overhead, but there are alot more things to protect against besides netbios popups. Now if you find a way to get rid of the browser based popup's without having software running in the background, I would be interested in knowing.

Now that I think about it, I believe I turned this off anyways. I went through windows awhile ago and turned off pretty much everything I could get away with and didn't use. At home I have a link to a page that tells how to turn off all kinds of useless processes that run in the background in windows. I will post the link when I get home if I remember.
I would be interested in the link, try to remember. Also I used Zone Alarm in the past, and its almost annoying. Its constantly popping up warnings and the like. I just got annoyed with it and uninstalled...

Hey BU....:lmao:

Last edited:

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by *archimedes*
You must be a very reflective person, that was beautiful. What are you doing tomorrow night?

Sorry buddy, I think she's got a date with her ghey alien friends....

:biggrin:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Originally posted by KaZamm1061
Yes you can use mozilla...
Using Mozilla, or any other browser for that matter, will not stop NetBIOS popup messages. You don't even need to be using a browser to recieve these messages. This type of popup is very diferent from web-based popups.
Go to the command prompt and type:
Code:
net send * hello
After a few seconds a message will pop up on your computer and anyother computer on your LAN(if you have one).
Stopping the Messenger Service will stop these popups from
getting to your computer.

Warron

Originally posted by mainman
I would be interested in the link, try to remember. Also I used Zone Alarm in the past, and its almost annoying. Its constantly popping up warnings and the like. I just got annoyed with it and uninstalled...

As expected, I forgot about it by the time I got home. I will try again today.

As for the constant warnings in zonealarm, it is an option to turn them off. The only warnings I get is when some software tries to access the internet that I have not given permission. And then, after the first time, you can tell zonealarm to remember your choice so its doesn't ask again. You can actually turn off this feature entirely, but then all these annoying update programs and other crap will be sending all kinds of stuff through the internet without your knowlege.

Its suprising how much software is designed to look for internet connections and send info these days. Even stuff that has no internet features at all looks for internet connections. I prefer not having my bandwidth clogged up suddenly because some software upgrade program decides I need a new version or that I wont mind having all my personal information sent to its publisher.

Warron

This is the web page I mentioned.

http://www.blkviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Under the windows version you see a link for super tweaks. I used many of the ones for windows xp pro and they work great. Don't let the guys picture turn you off, he put together some great info.

If you click on the link for Services configuration page, it gives a very good chart showing numerous common processes and services and whether it is safe to turn them off based on several typical uses that you may have for your computer. And it also gives a description of what these processes are, something it can be very hard to determine using the information found on your computer alone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, this didn't work for me. It only blocks WinMess popups, not the website ones that I always get.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by TWL
Using Mozilla, or any other browser for that matter, will not stop NetBIOS popup messages. You don't even need to be using a browser to recieve these messages. This type of popup is very diferent from web-based popups.
I don't get irritating popups, so why should I bother? Some web pages are designed to have information popup from the page you are viewing if you click on a link. I wouldn't want to stop them.

What's a NetBIOS popup and how can I tell if I get any? :razz2:

SxyPrincess

I can't figure out how to do it. I have Windows XP, but don't have an option to click "performance & maintenance." :shrug: