Polish Chickens

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I decided to assist the Polish Chicken breed by helping with improving the gene pool of the less common colors of the standard size Polish Chickens. Does anyone here breed Polish Chickens?

Just a FYI, I also have a variety of other chicken breeds but I have not yet bred chickens. I've only raised them from day old chicks. I was curious as to a reliable incubator to use that doesn't cost over $200 that has some of the latest features one might need. I've seen some on Ebay for around $200 with fans and large viewing windows and turners too. It's not the cheapest hobby by any means but the chicks are so darned cute!

Here is Suzy when she was about a week or so old (I think):

Attachments

• SuzySmaller.jpg
    SuzySmaller.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 202

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I decided to assist the Polish Chicken breed by helping with improving the gene pool of the less common colors of the standard size Polish Chickens. Does anyone here breed Polish Chickens?

Just a FYI, I also have a variety of other chicken breeds but I have not yet bred chickens. I've only raised them from day old chicks. I was curious as to a reliable incubator to use that doesn't cost over $200 that has some of the latest features one might need. I've seen some on Ebay for around $200 with fans and large viewing windows and turners too. It's not the cheapest hobby by any means but the chicks are so darned cute!

Here is Suzy when she was about a week or so old (I think):

Awww! How adorable.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Unfortunately she turned out to have a crooked beak as she matured, but she seems to eat just fine as long as I put the crumbled feed in a deeper dish so she can scoop the feed with her lower beak. That was the best baby chick picture I've taken this past year. I need a nap. :yawn:

Awww! How adorable.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Unfortunately she turned out to have a crooked beak as she matured, but she seems to eat just fine as long as I put the crumbled feed in a deeper dish so she can scoop the feed with her lower beak. That was the best baby chick picture I've taken this past year. I need a nap. :yawn:

I can't remember, I have seen them around here... UGH... it'll come to me, when it does (probably 3am:lmao:) I will pm you.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The interesting part is they are NOT even from Poland LOL - I'm not sure how they got that name. They are very cute and quite social too unlike some other breeds I have. Although I hear that any chickens CAN be social if hand raised - I hand raised all the non-rescues I have, and most of them run when I try to pick them up. None of the polish run from me though.

They are merely decorative average egg layers as they are lightweight birds, so not good for meat at all. Of course I'd never eat my pets, but others have looks at the chickens and made comments like: name them extra crispy, original recipe, and well you get the picture. Or I hear - wow now that one looks like a good 4-piece LOL.

Interestingly there are more bantams around than the standards I hear. So that's why I want to assist with the breeding on the standards. I am going to stick with the rare colors too. Recently discovered that one bantam Silky I have is a rooster so looks like I STILL need a Blue silky hen.

Can someone please explain to me what makes it a polish chicken?

Do they cluck differently?

Cowgirl

We had a pair of Golden Polish chickens once. We bought them at the St. Mary's County Fair. They were neat birds.

Attachments

• Golden_Polish_Hen.jpg
    Golden_Polish_Hen.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 140

BrookValley

Check into the Hova Bator Genesis 1588 incubator. If you don't get the automatic turner (which simply means you have to turn the eggs by hand 3 times per day) you can get it for around $120. Honestly, it is the only foam incubator I would use. Most of them are crap. I bought one of mine from here: Cutler Supply - Your Online Source for Gamebird and Small Animal Supplies they don't have the 1588 listed, but they do have it--just call them, don't order online. You can buy it elsewhere, too, but when I ordered everyone else seemed to be backordered.

D

dems4me

I've raised a Polish top hat too. I got mine from McMurray Hatchery McMurray Hatchery - Egg Accessories & Nests

I got some mixed hatching eggs and hatched it out of an incubator. I really liked her, she was black and white and always an eyecatcher folks were always asking wtf is that? :lol: Her name was Fragles :lol:

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I've raised a Polish top hat too. I got mine from McMurray Hatchery McMurray Hatchery - Egg Accessories & Nests

I got some mixed hatching eggs and hatched it out of an incubator. I really liked her, she was black and white and always an eyecatcher folks were always asking wtf is that? :lol: Her name was Fragles :lol:

:howdy: Hi Dems!
I got a Golden Laced Polish from McMurray this year.... he was my free rare bird surprise that came with the order...My husband calls him Buckwheat.. I call him Sparkplug.. They sure do stand out in the crowd of others..:lmao: so cute.. they can hardly see you coming.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
polish chicken pictures ....

I took some recent pictures of some of the polish - here goes........

Attachments

• Blondie.jpg
    Blondie.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Goldie.jpg
    Goldie.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 132
  • GretaGoldie.jpg
    GretaGoldie.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 146

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I just love the Polish hens - they are so interactive and I hope to show some with them - need to find out where the shows are I can put them in that are not top far away. I doubt the show wins pay well enough to cover fuel, food, and hotels LOL.

Colliegal

Hi. I am in Hollywood and I raise Polish standards in the Tolbunt color pattern and Polish bantams in white crested blues, chocolates, cuckoo, & black and also buff laced Polish bantams. I also breed silkies in several colors. If you need some info on either breed or want to come meet my birds, feel free to email me. My name is Gretchen and my farm is Bare Necessities Farm. Good luck with your chickens!

Attachments

• smol 1.jpg
    smol 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 119
  • smol 2.jpg
    smol 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 98
  • smol 3.jpg
    smol 3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 90
  • smol 4.jpg
    smol 4.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 131

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Looking at these pics.............

I need to get off my azz and build the coop so I can have chickens again.
They are by far the easy creatures to care for and they are alot smarter than what folks give them credit for.

In the meantime, I do have a cat named "chicken" to fill the void.

Are Polish Chickens the ones that are dumb enough to look up and drown when it rains??

Oh, that's turkeys.... nebermind.

D

dems4me

Are Polish Chickens the ones that are dumb enough to look up and drown when it rains??

Oh, that's turkeys.... nebermind.

Actually, I found the polish tophats to be smarter than the other chickens.