Recommendation of a good ISP with reasonable rates?

redfish

I'm real unhappy with my current ISP and my 1 year is up.  Any recommendations for a good provider in the $10-$12/month range?

aviatrix

I am guessing you mean dial-up services. :dosman:

Don't know of anything quite in that range, but the three I have heard good things about (mostly) who service southern Maryland are Online Gateway (OLG), Erols (now StarPower), and Earthlink.  They are all higher than you mention (except OLG with 3 year contract), but not by much.  Depending upon where you live I have also heard good things about AT&T's service, but they were not available south of LaPlata last I checked.

I had OLG for a while and it was fine, but late afternoon/early evening tended to be frustrating. :burning:

Good luck with the switch.

K

KaZamm1061

Not sure where you live in St Marys but TQCI is pretty good, Ive had no down Time with them and they do a good job. Good Luck

Ken

I'm using Surfbest at 12.50 a month, unlimited hrs.  Lots of local dial-up access numbers.  I found them at:

http://4-call.com/isp.html

(Edited by Ken at 7:17 am on Mar. 1, 2002)

Sharkbabe

Absolute best for dialup

http://www.toast.net

I've been using them for years. The main reason I love this company: whenever I've had a problem (seldom, but sh*t does happen) and called them, it has never taken longer than two minutes to be speaking to a human - usually closer to thirty seconds. $9.95/mo.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Sharkbabe said:
http://www.toast.net

I've been using them for years. The main reason I love this company: whenever I've had a problem (seldom, but sh*t does happen) and called them, it has never taken longer than two minutes to be speaking to a human - usually closer to thirty seconds. $9.95/mo.

Did you notice the date of the original post, sharkie?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
If you can get it in your area, Verizon DSL w/768kps @ $15 per month is not bad.

I have their package for $29 per month@ 2.3 to 2.8 megs, and it is nothing to complain about.

Of course in 2002, it wasn't available yet! :killingme

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
redfish said:
I'm real unhappy with my current ISP and my 1 year is up.  Any recommendations for a good provider in the $10-$12/month range?

If DSL is not available in your area, Metrocast Cable has Cable Modem available...

Pandora

Penn said:
If you can get it in your area, Verizon DSL w/768kps @ $15 per month is not bad.

I have their package for $29 per month@ 2.3 to 2.8 megs, and it is nothing to complain about.

Of course in 2002, it wasn't available yet! :killingme

I was chained up in AOL hell in 2002. :dead:

buddy999

It's Great to be American
redfish said:

I had my service with Hawk Communications. They recently switched everyone over to Earthlink and I have not had any problem with them at all.

I believe I got a good rate because I was a switch from Hawk Communications but you may still find it cheaper than the normal dial-up (21-25 / month). I've been with Earthlink for just over a year and I'm still paying $12 / month.