old cat odor in carpet... help?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm trying to save the carpet in my master bedroom. I've already done the Rug Doctor steam-cleaning which got rid of all the stains, but I've noticed in one corner that there is still a pretty pungent cat odor that permeates the entire room.

Being that the carpet looks so nice now, I hate to throw it out. It's obviously a pet odor from the previous owners so I don't know how old it is, but it's probably at least a few months old.

Anyone got any hints that will permantly get rid of the smell?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
They sell stuff at the pet stores to fight pet odor. I would pull the carpet up in that corner and replace the padding in that section. This'll also let you see how much area is affected, since there is probably a stain. Then treat the affected carpet. If it's really bad, there is nothing to do but replace it, but if you can solve the problem for $20, go for it.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by cmcdanal
They sell stuff at the pet stores to fight pet odor.

Any recommendations as to what product is the most outstanding?

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by sleuth14
Any recommendations as to what product is the most outstanding?
At PetSmart, Simple Solution It has a rather icky, sweetish smell when you apply it, but after that goes away the urine odor is gone.

Disclaimer: I've only ever used it on newly-soiled spots.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
At PetSmart, Simple Solution It has a rather icky, sweetish smell when you apply it, but after that goes away the urine odor is gone.

Disclaimer: I've only ever used it on newly-soiled spots.

:yeahthat: That's the stuff I was thinking of

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Take it from a cat lover/owner...you ain't gonna get all the smell out...ever. Is there a pad under the carpet? What type of floor under the pad/carpet? Wood floor (finished) or plywood?? Urine generally goes through rug, into/through pad to the floor. There is NO worse thing to get rid of than CAT PEE, especially if it is unneutered male cat pee. There are products that will work to reduce the odor and after several applications you really don't notice it as much. BUT...BUT...if you ever bring a cat into your home, it will find that pee spot in a nanosecond!!!

SamSpade

Originally posted by sleuth14

Anyone got any hints that will permantly get rid of the smell?

Sure - overpower it with DOG urine.

Seriously - you will never get it all out. But you might get used to it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I couldn't imagine keeping a carpet that's been peed on by animals. That's just gross. :barf:

Get rid of it.