Dogs running loose

src6969

I would appreciate any suggestions (other than a shotgun) to the following problem:

I have a neighbor who is constantly letting his dog run loose. The dog hasn't bitten anyone (yet), but urinates all over the place and is killing trees, grass, bushes, etc.

The animal warden has been called numerous times and has even come out a few times. The police have been called as well. One might think that after so many calls, we wouldn't see the dog again, but that's not the case.

How many times do I need to complain? If the animal warden is unwilling to pursue the matter, what's my next step?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If he's pooping in your yard, collect and return it to the rightful owners front porch.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Dumb question #1 - Have you talked to your neighbor and what did s/he say when you asked them to keep their dog out of your yard?

Vince

Originally posted by src6969
How many times do I need to complain? If the animal warden is unwilling to pursue the matter, what's my next step?

The animal warden should have done something. Have a friend who was reported to animal control by his neighbor just because his dogs were barking. After the second reporting he was fined about a $100.

Pellet Gun. Pump it 1 or 2 times, pop the pup in the pooper. Next time go up 1 pump. Eventually the dog will get the hint and stay out of your yard. BTW, use BB's, not pellets, no lead poisoning, cheaper, and quicker to load.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by huntr1
Pellet Gun. Pump it 1 or 2 times, pop the pup in the pooper. Next time go up 1 pump. Eventually the dog will get the hint and stay out of your yard. BTW, use BB's, not pellets, no lead poisoning, cheaper, and quicker to load.

Also effective for annoying kids.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How about a "super soaker" filled with citronella oil? Dogs hate the stuff and with the soaker you can get some decent range.

src6969

Dogs on the Loose

I appreciate all the feedback received. I do not own a gun of any sort. But even if I could find a way to keep the dog off of my yard, that won't necessarily keep the dog off of the street. Should I wait until the dog bites one of my kids or a neighbor's kid? What I am looking for is what legal action can be taken. Yes, the owner is aware of what his dog does, just as he is aware that the dogs in his backyard are a nuisance (always barking). The owner feels that since he's lived on the street longer than anyone else, he and his dogs have rights! (No BS). Yes, the owner's been fined, but obviously he doesn't care too much. So....what's my next step?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Dogs on the Loose

Originally posted by src6969
I appreciate all the feedback received. I do not own a gun of any sort. But even if I could find a way to keep the dog off of my yard, that won't necessarily keep the dog off of the street. Should I wait until the dog bites one of my kids or a neighbor's kid? What I am looking for is what legal action can be taken. Yes, the owner is aware of what his dog does, just as he is aware that the dogs in his backyard are a nuisance (always barking). The owner feels that since he's lived on the street longer than anyone else, he and his dogs have rights! (No BS). Yes, the owner's been fined, but obviously he doesn't care too much. So....what's my next step?
Call Animal Control everytime you see the dog on the loose and tell them to come do their job. Keep your own log too. This way when the dog bites you or your child you will have documentation to support your suit against the owner, the county, and the Sheriff's department.