FYI on West Nile

Atir211

Talked to the vet-tech at my horse vet today and there have been a large number of reported cases of West Nile in horses in the last several weeks. Get them ponies vacinated!!!! They are suggesting 2X a year now, due to all the cases.......

K

Kain99

Really? Dag! Whose you're vet? I have 5 Horses in the pasture our vet said no worries... Help!

slackwater514

I don't know if we're talking about the same vet, but I work for one - and they also are recommending, based on a statement released by the state, that horses get boostered a second time this year if they have not had their WNV booster since May. This may only be a one-time recommendation, so don't necessarily plan on doing it every year - they're just trying to keep on top of the serious mosquito over-population this year. The state just released that statement recently, and I got a postcard in the mail from my vet yesterday saying something to that effect - so if you have horses that haven't been boostered since May, considering doing so again!

Atir211

I use Southern Equine - I've always had great success with them, but they do seem to have a turn-over problem. Dr. Reams & Kennedy are awesome though - take the time to explain things. As for the horse that died, had not heard that!!! Geesshh, very scary -that's hittin pretty close to home!!! I always go overboard on my shots - I figure the cost of acouple shots is surely worth not losing one of my horses!!!
Ya'll see the classified in the local paper - went something like "Missing horse, last seen at Rosaryville park wearing a saddle and bridle" - whoops, someone got dumped! I'd poop if that happened & my horse headed for the hills.....