Advisory: Al Qaeda planning new U.S. attacks

K

Kizzy

Advisory: Al Qaeda planning new U.S. attacks
Laundry list of possible attack scenarios
From Jeanne Meserve and Kelli Arena
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) --A Department of Homeland Security advisory issued Thursday warns that al Qaeda is working on plans to hijack airliners flying between international points that pass near or over the continental United States.

A Department of Homeland Security official said most of the flights fitting this description originate in Canada, and that U.S. officials have been working with Canada over the past month to ensure it is improving screening and other security measures.

One government official noted, however, the United States has no authority to require security measures of non-U.S. carriers whose flights originate outside the United States.

The advisory was issued because of concerns about the coming second anniversary of the September 11 attacks, a recent uptick in intelligence information, and threats to aviation that continued through the summer.

Issued to state and local authorities and the private sector, the advisory said terrorist operatives have been studying countries to determine which have the least stringent requirements for entry. That could be a factor in their consideration of which flights would be easiest to board and take control of.

The advisory includes a laundry list of possible attack scenarios, and says al Qaeda may be researching how to disseminate diseases and toxins by contaminating water and food, or aerosolizing an agent in an enclosed space.

But the advisory says there is no specific information on individual targets or dates that would warrant raising the nation's threat alert level from the current yellow (elevated) to orange (high).

Some tactical information and six pages of suggested protective measures were redacted from the version of the advisory provided to the press.

Risk of multiple attacks
The advisory says that arrests of key al Qaeda members over the past several months "may have delayed or even disrupted some plans," but a Homeland Security official would not provide any details. The official did say that interrogations of those detainees produced some of the information contained in the advisory. Intercepted communications and materials seized in raids of al Qaeda safe houses were other sources of the intelligence, the official said.

The advisory cites the risk of multiple attacks against the United States and U.S. interests overseas. It notes recent mass-casualty attacks in Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Iraq, "suggesting that 'soft' targets with minimum physical security measures could be viewed as attractive options in the U.S."

Among the sorts of soft targets mentioned in operational plans are apartment complexes, gas stations and restaurants.

The advisory also says critical infrastructure could be hit because of the "potentially significant economic and psychological impacts." Examples of critical infrastructure listed as possible targets are nuclear power plants and other energy facilities, petroleum and chemical facilities, the transportation sector, water systems, and the food supply.

The advisory notes that al Qaeda has successfully used suicide bombers and warns that terrorists "will employ novel methods to artfully conceal suicide devices."

Earlier in the day, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge held a conference call with state officials to tell them there are no plans at present to raise the threat level in advance of the September 11 anniversary. According to one participant in the call, Ridge said there had been an uptick in threat information, but not in the quantity or quality that would warrant moving from yellow to orange.

K

Kain99

I'm almost resigned to the fact that we are due for another major attack. Thank God I'm not living in abject terror anymore. :bubble:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, pizz. They've been saying that for two years now. I got tired of waiting and went on with my life.

They're caught between a rock and a hard place. The Dems make fun of Ridge but God forbid something should happen and there was no warning. Then they'd crucify him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
They're caught between a rock and a hard place. The Dems make fun of Ridge but God forbid something should happen and there was no warning. Then they'd crucify him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Such is the life when you're in a highly visible position

K

Kizzy

I agree with you Vrail, but you know it was this article that triggered my memory that the anniversary of Sept 11th is around the corner.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh I'm of the full belief of the "big one is comin". My theroy is it will be a full out attack to shut down our infrastructure.

I sure wish I was a survivalist. :bawl: Kyle you still got room in your bunker? :shocking:

Bones

Originally posted by Christy
Oh I'm of the full belief of the "big one is comin". My theroy is it will be a full out attack to shut down our infrastructure.

I sure wish I was a survivalist. :bawl: Kyle you still got room in your bunker? :shocking:
I agree Christy,
I think bridges in the metro area could be a major target the next time around. Its definitly coming and its more than likely going to be bigger than the last one. Hopefully they will not catch us as asleep as we were the first time around. I have my doubts though.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Christy

OMG I just realized that Gilantar has my plastic! shiat! :eek:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
If they plan to use planes, it won't work. Last time a plane flew into a bridge, the plane lost.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I reckon they'll just take a whack at our computer networks, try and shut down and disrupt as much as possible. Call me a nutty crunchie, but I think the recent blackouts here and the UK were merely a "probe" as to test the waters.

I tell ya what, they shut down my internet access and there will be hell to pay! :burning: :twitch: I can live by candle light and cooking on an open flame, but you mess with my internet connectivity you're a dead man! (Just ask any GMP employee that's had to deal with me during internet outages) :killingme

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Nah...add 11 + 2003= 2018 so...the 18th is the day to stay home from work...they wouldn't be so bold to do it again on the same day...make sure your bunker is full of the following:
H20
Beer
Jerkey
Beer
Generator for football
peanuts
Beer
H20
aspirin
smokes
pillow
blanket
duct tape
beer
radio
batteries
beer
:cool:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by SEABREEZE 1957
Nah...add 11 + 2003= 2018 so...the 18th is the day to stay home from work...they wouldn't be so bold to do it again on the same day...make sure your bunker is full of the following:
H20
Beer
Jerkey
Beer
Generator for football
peanuts
Beer
H20
aspirin
smokes
pillow
blanket
duct tape
beer
radio
batteries
beer
What about beer? :shrug: Cant go into a bunker without beer...:rolleyes:

:cheesy: Whats up?
I almost forgot, could you explain that formula to me?

Last edited:
H

Heretic

Just think of the disruption they could cause if they got the wilson bridge to jam in the up position. Or got a bunch of department of highway trucks and put up orange cones everywhere...

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Originally posted by mainman
What about beer? :shrug: Cant go into a bunker without beer...:rolleyes:

:cheesy: Whats up?
I almost forgot, could you explain that formula to me?

Opps..:cheers: I was getting my bunker ready for the big day, and my addition was slightly off...2003+11=2014 so.... if you take the 2000 away that equals 14, so it's the 14th that we need to be ready for...Just trying to find some magical formula...:jet: Or maybe 2003 +11+9(for Sept)=2023....Could be the 23rd....

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"-GW Bush, Jr. ., Jan. 11, 2000

Bones

Originally posted by Frank
If they plan to use planes, it won't work. Last time a plane flew into a bridge, the plane lost.
Not too sure, are you talking the 14th Street Bridge?
Maybe we are not exactly talking about a stock commercial airliner crashing into the guard rail of the bridge.
Commercial airliner, more than likely. More importantly what can the "right" fanatic get on board carrying? Also, I am assuming they would not aim for the guard rail.
I am probably way off base here. More than likely planes will not be the weapon of choice next time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since the Constitution was adopted on Sept. 17, 1787, I say we look for an attack on October 7, 2003. Why? Because September + 1 = October, then the 7th, then 1+7+8+7=23, add two 0's in the middle it becomes 2003. Therefore, 10/7/2003.

Hopefully they're using a different formula because we're leaving for Disney on Oct. 11 and a terrorist attack would goof up our plans.

K

Kizzy

I remember that well. My father is now retired from D.C. PD, but if you see any of the rescue footage from this crash, my father is the big huge guy standing next to the water. You cannot miss him. He is the biggest guy there and wearing a canary yellow raincoat. My dad calls it one of his top 5 hardest days to be a cop. They pulled bodies out of the water.

The traffic in D.C. was to a stand still. A couple of friends told me that they had to leave the car, metro out of the city, practically going thru hell and high water to get home that day.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Since the Constitution was adopted on Sept. 17, 1787, I say we look for an attack on October 7, 2003. Why? Because September + 1 = October, then the 7th, then 1+7+8+7=23, add two 0's in the middle it becomes 2003. Therefore, 10/7/2003.

I know you are joking but If you end up being right I'm gonna freak out! :biggrin:

F

Flo

Originally posted by SEABREEZE 1957
Opps..:cheers: I was getting my bunker ready for the big day, and my addition was slightly off...2003+11=2014 so.... if you take the 2000 away that equals 14, so it's the 14th that we need to be ready for...Just trying to find some magical formula...:jet: Or maybe 2003 +11+9(for Sept)=2023....Could be the 23rd....

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"-GW Bush, Jr. ., Jan. 11, 2000

I wouldn't think they would try on a Sunday, as they would be looking for a lot of lives to be taken; more than likely it will happen on a work day, and more than likely they would try to strike the bridges.

Tuesday the 23rd, might be, as September 11th was on a Tuesday, and the 23rd will be on a Tuesday.