Question???

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
Does anybody know the rules of divorce? Is it "illegal" to date somebody whose divorce is not final?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by happy_bee4
Is it "illegal" to date somebody whose divorce is not final?
Why would you want to be the rebound woman/PoA, when some other chick is desperately trying to get him out of her life? :lol:

Keep shopping. :wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Does anybody know the rules of divorce? Is it "illegal" to date somebody whose divorce is not final?
Do they already have a "limited divorce" and are they just awaiting the time for an "absolute divorce"? And by dating, I am sure the worry is the adultery question, which could become an issue as a grounds for divorce.

BTW while adultery is a crime in Maryland, misdemeanor, it only carries a $10 fine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Sharon
Keep shopping.
One woman's trash is another woman's treasure. :lol:

Bee, no, it's not illegal to date someone who's divorce isn't final. It's probably not in his best interests, especially if it's an acrimonious divorce, because then the wife can slap him with adultry and take him to the cleaners. She can also go after you for alienation of affection. There should at least be a legal separation agreement in place before you even consider dating a not-yet-divorced person.

SeaRide

:yeahthat:

First thing I did was moved out and live under the roof where my soon-to-be-ex does not reside under. I filed for the legal separation which can become the divorce papers after one year. I did add on one page of addedums(sp?) on top of the legal-separation/divorce papers after one year to meet our satisfaction. The good thing is that my ex-wife and I were on good term during and after the separation/divorce thing.

I would suggest that your still-married-hump buddy file for legal separation and put down the term where he's allowed to date as long as he's not under the same roof with his soon-to-be-ex-wife.

I know one guy from highschool whose parents went through "bird nesting" divorce which is strange and odd way to raise the kids. The guy still lives in the same house with his parents but the father lives in one end of the house while the mother lives in the other end of the house. His parents would not date or remarry until all of the kids have grown up and leave the "nest". I know it's off topic.. sorry.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Re: Re: Question???

Originally posted by Ken King
BTW while adultery is a crime in Maryland, misdemeanor, it only carries a $10 fine.

on that note ... did you know that "oral activity" does not constitute adultery in regards to divorce in Maryland? :yikes:

and no, i'm not suggesting an alternative means for "safing" your relationship with the guy Happy :wink:

guess that's how Slick Willy got away with it. :ohwell:

K

Kizzy

I know one guy from highschool whose parents went through "bird nesting" divorce which is strange and odd way to raise the kids. The guy still lives in the same house with his parents but the father lives in one end of the house while the mother lives in the other end of the house. His parents would not date or remarry until all of the kids have grown up and leave the "nest". I know it's off topic.. sorry.

:yikes: Isn't that how the War of the Roses began?

SeaRide

Originally posted by IM4Change
:yikes: Isn't that how the War of the Roses began?

Not sure but the parents get along just fine. There's no emotional/mental/stress related plm for the guy as long as he get to live with both of his parents daily. I never get to hear him badmouth about either one of his parents. I mean what's there for him to loose sleep over? Really, nothing. Sometimes I think it's cool , and sometimes I think it's odd.
:shrug:

SxyPrincess

I thought Maryland law was 50/50 split, and didn't matter who cheated, if either party did.

Who cares if someone is still married? As long as they're separated, go for it. :cheers:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Don't you have to be legally seperated for 1 year before even being able to file for divorce in MD?

TripleJ

Why would you want to be the rebound woman/PoA, when some other chick is desperately trying to get him out of her life? :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket

I dunno, sometimes people get married for really dumb reason. :stupid: Iwish I could change that to say was) I was still married and Steve was still married when we started dating (if you could call it that) :blushing:

I think sometimes if you follow the "rules' and wait for all to go perfectly, ya miss out on a chance of a lifetime. That's just been my experience. Granted, it's probably not a good idea to date most folks who are still technically married, but sometimes you just have to take that chance. :shrug:

Athena1078

Social Director
Originally posted by Christy
Don't you have to be legally seperated for 1 year before even being able to file for divorce in MD?
Yes, unless you are filing for an absolute with a rushed hearing because of abuse, or neglect, or adultery. (I think). MY friend is going through it right now.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Athena1078
Yes, unless you are filing for an absolute with a rushed hearing because of abuse, or neglect, or adultery. (I think). MY friend is going through it right now.
Not sure how neglect is defined but there are three grounds for an immediate and absolute divorce. The wording from the law states that they are:
(1) adultery;
(2) cruelty of treatment toward the complaining party; or
(3) excessively vicious conduct toward the complaining party.

Other than these there is at least a 12 month waiting period.

Athena1078

Social Director
Thank you Ken.. I just don't know all the exact wording used, but that is what I meant. I had in mind what I wanted to say, just didn't know how to say it.

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
He lives in Virginia, and his wife cheated on him while he was out to sea for nine months. When he got back he kicked her out of the house and kept their son...

Elle

Happy Camper!
Really off topic but why do you only have to wait 3 days after obtaining a marriage license to get married but a year to get divorced????

Vince

He lives in Virginia, and his wife cheated on him while he was out to sea for nine months. When he got back he kicked her out of the house and kept their son...

Similar situation. Wife cheated on me approx 6 months prior to her leaving me. Children stayed with me. She stayed with her boyfriend. Adultery, like everyone says, in the state of Md is a whopping $10 fine. Then you have to have proof. I had the proof. My own daughter, over 18, was going to testify against her mother. The only thing that would have got me was an immediate divorce and the loss of 50% of all that I've worked for that much sooner. BTW he or she still gets 50% in the state of maryland no matter what or when the divorce takes place. It's called marital property. Learned all this the hard way.