Hot Spots on the puppy dawg

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Anyone have any really good, tried and true cures for hot spots on a pup? Poor Emmitt has them on his back to the point we've turned the coffee table upside down so he'll stop scratching his back on it. :frown:

I've been using some spray from Petsmart and an oatmeal bath soap for dawgies on him, but it doesn't seem to help. :frown:

TIA

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Sulfodene is supposed to be good for hot spots. Try cortisone spray for the itching too.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I use the cortisone(sp?) spray and wipes on the dawg. I don't know if emmitt has enough hair for ya to shave. :ohwell:

crabcake

in all honesty, he's rubbed a lot of it off with his scratching (thus the flipped over coffee table in my living room now) so there isn't much to shave. for those who don't know, he's a tricolor beagle, AND he's ghey (if that makes a difference :ohwell:)

Where can I get this tar sulfa shampoo stuff? I got the oatmeal stuff which was supposed to keep his skin hydrated to help heal it and this tea tree oil spray stuff to cut down on the itching, but maybe it's just wussifying him. :ohwell:

As for the cortisone spray, would the stuff I use on me for mosquito bites work or is there some special puppy dawg brand that is basically the same stuff, but has a cute dawg on the bottle that makes it especially for dawgs? :razz2:

Thanks for the info thus far! :cheers:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Best thing to use is Gold Bond Medicated Power. Just keep applying it. I have a Golden Retriever who used to suffer horribly. Even if dogs have short hair, you have to keep them well groomed..brush them, keep the shedding hair from staying on the dog. I found out about the powder at a website years ago and it's worked better than anything the vet gave me.

Of course, you'll put the powder on and he'll lick it off...just put more on....

slackwater514

Hot spots can be caused by something trapped on the skin that causes a bacterial overgrowth - dogs (and all critters, for that matter), all have bacteria naturally present, but if the skin is out of balance, they get out of control and cause a hot spot. Any anti-itch medication or shampoo will help, as will neosporin (the human equivalent of panalog, which my vet applies to hot spots). Keep the area clean, scrub it twice daily until gone. If the dog has long hair, I do recommend shaving the spot, as Appy said!

crabcake

Originally posted by cattitude
Of course, you'll put the powder on and he'll lick it off...just put more on....

i'm having images of poor emmitt walking around with the equivalent of pancake batter spilling out of his mouth. :frown: But I'll give that a shot too.

I did give him a spritz with some cortisone-10 spray last night, and (at first) he ran off b/c he doesn't like spray bottles, but he came back over to me in a few seconds, almost like "hey, mom, that stuff works! put some more on me, will ya?" So I did, and hit it again this morning.

Bulldawg, it's funny you mention the benadryl. My other dog (who doesn't have the hot spots) got ahold of my daughters bottle of liquid benadryl, chewed the cap off and drank about 1/4 of a bottle of the stuff (all that was left) the other night. I kept an eye on him; he ran around like a kid eating a pound of chocolate, then crashed -- HARD!