Does Anybody Know how to get back into the Federal Governmen

I have been out of the Federal Government since 1999 and I have found it hard to get back in.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to apply?

I have applied for many position with no luck :(

When I lefted the Federal Government I was a GS-11.

Any help?  Thanks  :cheers:

geekboy

Bunny

What did you do before,  the division I work for is almost always hiring.  I've worked for them for two years and we have had atleast 4 openings the whole time.  It wasnt that they werent filled they were, then someone else left and we have also grown.  

Any background in electronics? If so Ill see if I can steer you the right direction.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
brownbunny,

As I understand your posts you were involuntarily released during a RIF (Reduction In Force) at your previous agency.  In the letter of notification you received there should have been a section that detailed your re-employment rights.  This would have advised you if you were placed on a retention roster or given advantage of the Priority Placement Program and the time period it would apply.  If you took an associated lump sum buy out(VSIP)  or early retirement (VERA) it could impact your ability to return to that agency for a specified period of time.  Email me through the link above, give me your previous GS series and where and who you were working for, and I might be able to assist you in finding another available government position.  Also advise if you are willing to relocate and the distance you would be willing to travel to a job site.

I was a program support assistant for the Under Secretary for Benefits. (Executive Review Staff).  I review correspondence, reports, and documents assigned or submitted to the Executive Review Staff to determine action needed.  I determine the priority of each correspondence and place this information on a tracking sheet.  I signed and dispatched documents for the Under Secretary.  I represent the Under Secretary at various meetings.  In other words, I was one of the Under Secretary right hand.  When I was RIF I did take a lum sum buy-out, and I was told that I could not re-enter the government for one year.  The year is up.  Effective 3/30/2002 it will be two years.

PmoneyandTT

BB - are you applying for local government or DC government jobs also.

There are so many openings here in DC - I've known people to be out for years
and not have a problem getting a job in DC.. I also have applied for jobs in Lexington Park.. They have the positions - but it doesn't seem they want to hire anybody.. OH well..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Brown Bunny,

Have you searched the OPM site (http://www.opm.gov).  For GS-0303, Management Assistant there were 74 openings in the Mid-Atlantic States.  For GS-0344 Program Assistant there were only 8 openings.