Gaelic???

Gwydion

Didn't exactly no where to put this...figure "hobbies" would be decent enough...

Does anybody speek or write Gaelic? I'm working on learning Scottish Gaelic, but a lot of the resources I have are either very very primary or they are commercial (i.e. radio) and they speak fluently....and fast. With the vast differences in pronunciation of even the same letters depending on their location in a word it is making it very very difficult.

Even Irish or Welsh Gaelic would work....just to get the pronunciation down.

Anybody?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Didn't exactly no where to put this...figure "hobbies" would be decent enough...

Does anybody speek or write Gaelic? I'm working on learning Scottish Gaelic, but a lot of the resources I have are either very very primary or they are commercial (i.e. radio) and they speak fluently....and fast. With the vast differences in pronunciation of even the same letters depending on their location in a word it is making it very very difficult.

Even Irish or Welsh Gaelic would work....just to get the pronunciation down.

Anybody?

I know someone who speaks gaelic. I'll talk to her this weekend.

Gwydion

Well, its been about 2 weeks since I started this...and I have to admit, its rather difficult. There are so few learning resources, and all of them are very...void. As opposed to teaching you individual words then combining them to form sentences, most of them are "Here is a dialogue and here is the translation". Even the book I am using only gives you the NEW vocab in these page long dialogues, meaning you have to constantly flip back chapters to recall what the words mean....and even then, its hard to find because of the different spelling regarding who (me, you, she, him, us, we, etc.) and things like that change.

Either way, very slow going...I can pretty much start a conversation and get some small details (where your from, what you like to do, the weather, etc.) and end the conversation.

But, I think I've gotten the pronunciation down, which was rather annoying. Of course, every now and then, you get this long string of consonants that make absolutely NO sound....and that is very confusing. Like the english "thought".