Button Quail :)

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Does anyone on the boards keep BQ? I just adopted a trio from someone for the bottom of the cockatiel cage and they are so cute!! I think I have 3 females so I don't think I'll have any chicks (too bad they are the size of a real peep and I don't need to say how cute that would be :) I'll try to post a picture of them today :)

This is about all I know about quail...

Asian Grilled Quail

Ingredients
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce
3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
8 quail, dressed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Garnishes: sliced green onions or green onion curls
Preparation

Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, gently squeezing to blend; add quail. Cover or seal, and chill 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Remove quail from marinade, reserving marinade.

Prepare fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on 1 side of grill, leaving the other side empty. Place rack on grill. Arrange quail over empty side; grill, covered with grill lid, 30 minutes or until done.

Pour reserved marinade intoa small saucepan. Reserve 1/4 cup chicken broth, and add remaining chicken broth to marinade. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; boil, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Whisk together cornstarch and reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth until smooth. Whisk into marinade mixture; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Serve with quail; garnish, if desired.

Asian Grilled Cornish Hens: Substitute 4 (1- to 1 1/2 pound) Cornsh hens for quail. Grill as directed 45 to 50 minutes or until done.

Attachments

• 1quail.jpg
    1quail.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 113
T

toppick08

Does anyone on the boards keep BQ? I just adopted a trio from someone for the bottom of the cockatiel cage and they are so cute!! I think I have 3 females so I don't think I'll have any chicks (too bad they are the size of a real peep and I don't need to say how cute that would be :) I'll try to post a picture of them today :)

Bobwhites ..:confused:

:drool:

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Okay scratch that. Toppick just freaked me out, I started thinking you know I took them sight unseen and they are larger then I remember the Buttons being..... did I just end up with 3 Bobs????? HAHAHAHA - well after a quick search it looks like they are Japanese Quail, which are a bit larger. To be certain I'm sending a picture to a site that sells all three :) Kwillia might be right these may be eating birds :) haha, but they are too cute for that :) But whatever I have I'm going to need to get a male - they crow!!! :) I'll have a chorus of crowing in the morning once the Grey's pick it up - that would be a riot (I'm an early riser ;)

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Finally pictures :)

Here are the pictures I said I would post of the quails :) Their names are Kiwi, Rhea and Dodo, although I'm going to have to open band them to tell them apart ;)

Attachments

• DSCN5987.jpg
    DSCN5987.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN5988.jpg
    DSCN5988.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN5989.jpg
    DSCN5989.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 130

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Great News!

First without banding them I can now tell them apart, this is a big deal :)
But the great news is..... they are MATING :) :dye: I'm so excited! I'm going to fire up the incubator today for sure!! We've been laying eggs since day one but I've assumed they were clear (I wasn't certain Dodo was really even a male to be honest) but now :) :) :) :) We could have chicks soon!!
And if anyone is interested these birds are often raised for indoor egg production, although the eggs are only slightly larger then a robin egg :lmao:

Cowgirl

Coturnix quail...same thing. I had 5 once. Those little things like to escape every freaking fence imaginable. :lmao: I would have to take my dog out in the field so he could find them and point for me. :lmao: Pretty soon I got tired of tracking them down, so I let them be freeeeee! :yahoo:

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Wow - so you can keep them outside? They live in our flight cage with our cockatiels and parakeets and run the floor when I clean the cage :) My trio isn't "tame" but they are really getting used to me in and out of the cage. The lovebird chicks are in the flight too, so after I feed them the quails are WAITING for the left over formula - it's really SOO cute :) I have to ask what did you raise them for? I'm enjoying them as pets, I know some folks raise them for meat, anything else? I imagine there's not a huge local market for the chicks (although there are lots of other nutties on the net ;)

Cowgirl

Wow - so you can keep them outside?
Apparently not. :roflmao:

I have to ask what did you raise them for? I'm enjoying them as pets, I know some folks raise them for meat, anything else? I imagine there's not a huge local market for the chicks (although there are lots of other nutties on the net ;)

:shrug: A customer where I worked hatched them. A TON of them. He asked if I wanted some, and I said sure! :lol: They were pets. We had them in our chicken coop, but they escaped, so we changed the wire, and they escaped again. We went through this several times, and I finally said it wasn't worth it. :lol:

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
That's too funny, I haven't had any issues with them trying to escape unless I leave the flight cage door open while cleaning then they pop out, so I just let them wander the birds room floor for a while :p
When I took them (off freecycle) I thought I was getting button quail and although they were larger then I remember buttons being, I was like okay bad memory. That was until Toppick thought I might have Bobwhites, then I thought OMG did I just bring home wild birds ;) hahahaha
I still want some button quail, you don't know of anyone local that breeds them do you?

Cowgirl

That's too funny, I haven't had any issues with them trying to escape unless I leave the flight cage door open while cleaning then they pop out, so I just let them wander the birds room floor for a while :p
When I took them (off freecycle) I thought I was getting button quail and although they were larger then I remember buttons being, I was like okay bad memory. That was until Toppick thought I might have Bobwhites, then I thought OMG did I just bring home wild birds ;) hahahaha
I still want some button quail, you don't know of anyone local that breeds them do you?

I don't know of anyone who has buttons. Yours aren't bobwhites. I couldn't tell if that's what you were saying they were. :lol: