Doggie Dandruff

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My puppies have dandruff.
I was thinking of giving them a little olive oil in their food.
I am currently feeding them IAMS.
Any suggestions?

Hey Mig, my dogs don't show any signs of being GHEY.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by BullDawg
Is their food made from beef or lamb? If beef, try getting the kind made from lamb.
Not sure, it is the green bag.
Why, is there different oil or something with lamb?

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Originally posted by DoWhat
Not sure, it is the green bag.
Why, is there different oil or something with lamb?

I was buying food made from beef fat and it was giving my dog dandruff. I was advised to buy some made from lamb or chicken. I did and the dandruff went away.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by appyday
Lamb is also better for dogs with allergies...I do add bacon grease to my dogs food...Iams is a good food. If the coat is dry condition it after you bath them. I like to even leave some in the coat. Are you bathing them too much?
I give them a bath every couple of months.
I will try the Lamb food, but I hate changing their food.

Ponytail

Mine has dandruff from some kind of allergy yet to be determined.

I initially added fish oil caps to her food as recommended by my vet, and that worked great for awhile.

Just whatever you do, pay attention to her skin, particularly their bellys for "blister" or "burn" looking sores. That is a severe allergy, what my dog has.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ponytail

Just whatever you do, pay attention to her skin, particularly their bellys for "blister" or "burn" looking sores. That is a severe allergy, what my dog has.
Bear has a corn allergy. Our vet was no help at determining what the problem was. She only ran some skin tests to see what it wasn't and prescribed sulfa caps which he hated taking. He hated them so much he would make a face when we opened the bottle to give them to him. :lol: Corn would make him break out in itchy looking chicken pox sores.

Finally we cut out all food and started by feeding him rice with hamburger meat and slowly (over a few weeks) adding other stuff to it. Since then he's been eating corn free products. This means no table/dog food with corn syrup, corn meal, grits, corn gluten, corn oil, sorghum, etc. He used to love Cap'tn Crunch cereal, bread crusts, pizza bones, popcorn, etc. but he can't have it anymore.

Now the only thing he gets is Royal Canin Holistic Dog Food and the Iams biscuits (in the green box) plus an assortment of meats and veggies that he likes.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Sharon
Now the only thing he gets is Royal Canin Holistic Dog Food and the Iams biscuits (in the green box) plus an assortment of aggrivating door to door salesman.
:yeahthat:

Ponytail

My pup is on a "maintenance dose" of steroids and allergy meds. That's the only thing we found that would control it. She's on special food, venison and potato, primarily cuz it's the only damn thing that I've found that she'll eat, besides my shoes, CD's, VHS tapes, cell phones...:rolleyes: