Lost in Translation

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Has anybody seen it? Looks really good. Looks like a movie that we will never have at a the-ate-er down here.

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by jlabsher
Has anybody seen it? Looks really good. Looks like a movie that we will never have at a the-ate-er down here.
Yeah. Another one. But we can get "Bad Boys II" and "Nemo" and "Barbershop" on three different screens all through Chas. Co.

One of the drawbacks to living in a great place, IMO. But, along with not being able to find good Mexican food (well, I think that's an East coast thing) it does stink.

Yes--BTW, it looks like a good film. We'll probably wait for the DVD because we despise driving to VA just to watch a movie.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by jlabsher

I just watched this.

I think something got lost in translation. :confused:
This movie was a waste of 2 hours. :banghead:

The acting was good. But the plot was extremely slow, and I can't help but wonder if there was a plot at all. :shrug: I kept waiting for the point, and the only point I think it made was that travelling alone to foreign lands can be emotionally stressful.

K

Kizzy

This movie is so slow. :yawn: So far, I've watched about 1/2 of it and I'm thinking about everything else but the movie.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I still don't really get the point of the movie. Was it to show that a man and a woman can be attracted to each other, but not act on that, and still remain friends?

The main flaw, in my mind, was that if Bill Murray's character was going to fool around on his wife, why do it with the lounge singer and not Scarlett Johaanson, who he WAS attracted to?

Can someone please explain?

K

Kizzy

badgirl,

I think I can answer that question but right now I'm on the phone listening to somebody :blahblah: so the movie is on pause. Which reminds me of a

Good quote from the movie

"The more you know what you want, the more confidence you have in yourself, the less you let things upset you."

K

Kizzy

I think the movie was a bit too deep for the particular viewer, and left a lot for self-evaluation. Not to mention, it was slow. :yawn:

Bob was just as neglected as Charlotte. Bob’s wife was more concerned about decorating the house and being involved with the kids than she was about him or his feelings or his emotions. Charlotte’s husband was always working, never around, more concerned about his career, leaving her alone. Bill, being married for 25 years, Charlotte just married a mere 2 years, made a comment to Charlotte in the bar about he wanted to make sure if he fell somebody would notice then said he was looking for an accomplish in a “prison escape” meaning that to escape would take courage, to escape from the bar, from the hotel, from the city and out to the country, and she says sure I’ll go pack. The movie should have started from there but it just never did, unless it was trying to show that everyday life is hum drum, that Bob struggles with regret, that Charlotte is perceptive and observant not sure, but Bob and Charlotte develop a bound and closeness in the time they spend together.

This is where I think the movie leaves the viewer to do some self-evaluation.

If he acted on the feelings he had toward Charlotte would it have ended there? Would he have wanted it to? Could this closeness survive the test of time out in the real world? He wasn’t happy in his marriage, she wasn’t either, but he mentioned that he had children and life was more complicated and from his conversation in the hotel room, he said that his children were the most important thing is his life. I think he directed his built up sexual tension he had towards Charlotte with the lounge singer, because he had no emotional ties to the lounge singer therefore merely satisfying his sexual needs.