Motorcycle repair

P

pigpen

Does anyone know of any places (either business or private) that works on vintage Japanese motorcycles? I've got an '83 Yamaha Virago that I'm having troubles with, and don't feel like driving to Fairfax to have it worked on again. The last time I had it worked on was at S&M City Motorsports, but the last time I talked to them about getting it fixed, they rubbed me the wrong way so I took it to Fairfax. Thanks for any help.

P

pigpen

I forget if I ever got in touch with them or not. Almost all of the places I called either don't work on Japanese bikes, or don't work on bikes that old.

Biscuit

Livin' Large
Try the guy that is in san souci plaza. Right next to Ashai. The only problem i can see is getting parts for it. Yamaha is not known for keeping parts for older bikes in production. Honda used to, but they have even quit now. Good Luck. :cool:

There is also Clinton Cycle up in Clinton. They used to work on my Dad's 1980 Suzuki GS550, but I don't know if they work on bikes that old.

B

Bruce

Talk to me pigpen, whats the prob with the ride ? Starter engagement perhaps ? Maybe I can help you out. I had a motorcycle parts/accessory & repair business for 15 years.

Bruce

P

pigpen

Well Bruce, it has the typical Virago starter noise, and I think one of the coils went out on me. It will start to try and turn over, then the starter will spin or else just crank and not fire up. Gonna test and possibly replace the coils this weekend. Try and wire up some automotive coils if the original ones are bad.

P

pigpen

pixiegirl, was just wondering what kind of car that blue one is on your profile, looks nice!

P

pigpen

Well, got the bike fixed and running today. Changed out the plugs, and it's running pretty good. I think the carbs still need work since this is the third set of plugs I've fouled in a year. Thanks to everyone that posted places to get it looked at!

dustin

UAIOE
pigpen, PM me if you need help. I'm in L-Park too so its not a prob for me to drop by and take a wild guess. But I do have some experience with carbs and bikes. if your fouling the plugs most likely running rich i think. make sure the air filter is clean first or you dont have a rag stuffed in there somewheres before taking apart the carbs.

P

pigpen

I'm pretty sure it's running rich too. Ever since I got the bike last year I've had carb troubles. The previous owner forgot to drain the bowls and it sat all winter, so they were gummed up. Plus, one of the intake boots had a nice tear in it. Until I get it fixed for good, I'm carrying along a spare set of plugs, just in case. Gonna try to get as much riding in before it gets too cold to ride for the year. If you ever feel like going for a ride dustin, hit me up. The weekends are about the only chance I really get to ride besides to and from work though.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Try Motovation Cycles in Mechanicsville. (301) 472-4759. While you're there, ask about the Southern Cruisers riding club. No dues, no requiremenents, AMA approved.

And Pixiegirl, I've got a bike and I'm single:cool:

Last edited:
H

harvick_29

I have a 81 virago 750 and it runs great...going to customize it this spring

chica

motorcycles

My husband and I have a 2003 HD DynaSuper Glyde
A 2001 Honda VFR Interseptor
A 1991 Honda CBR 600 F2
A 1973 Triumph Trophy TR5T
and various other mortorcycles in various stages.
My husband loves to ride and we just came back from the riders mecca, San Diego, California.
We are looking for people to ride with. We are located down on Cobb Island. We have seen plenty of bikes, but have not met very many "older" bikers. Of course riding knows no age, but we are finished with winding around corners with the pegs dragging.