Christmas Lights

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I am not trying to judge anyone but I wanted to know why people still have up there christmas lights in February?  Don't they know that it looks terrible and brings down the property levels of their neighbors?  I am just curious as to why people leave them up all year, especially if they aren't hard to take down.  Are they just lazy?

K

KaZamm1061

Yes im just lazy, I figure why take them down when xmas comes around next year thats one less thing i have to put up.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
It doesn't bother you to have them up all year?  I know it comes again next year but I change the way it looks every year, but I guess thats just me. Not to judge you, but I don't want people in my neighborhood leaving them up all year long.  It doesn't look very nice.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
They are just lazy.  No other explanation to it.  It is simply that they are too lazy to take it down...

well...it's their house...so it is their choice.
I mean... you can't exactly tell your neighbors how to decorate their home.
For instance, your neighbors could absolutely hate the color of your house/the shape of your house/your yard...not enough flowers...not enough trees...too many trees.... all kindsa stuff... but... it is your home and it is your choice... right?  right!!!
Now, of course, if something in a neighbor's property makes the neighborhood unsafe...that is a different matter.

In this case, it just seems to be a difference in tastes...

connie

I love the lights at christmas and it is really dark when they disappear in Jan. If I lived somewhere that people could see lights and I had outdoor lights , I would have a hard time giving them up.  So.. maybe some people are willing to brighten dark winter nights just a little longer . Cheers!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Connie, I'm with you.  But I also think that if you're going to leave your lights up, turn them on so we can enjoy them.  I don't leave my lights up year round because of neighborhood peer pressure :lol: but lots of people leave the candles in the windows all year so why not the rest of the lights?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Well, make that three of us.  I'd like to see the lights lit thru the end of January.  It's just so cheery seeing the lights up at night, but my guess is that some people just can't handle the electric bill because it's so expensive.  I don't even care how long they stay up unlit because it's usually so cold out most people don't take them down until it warms up outside--but leaving them up in the summer is a bit much.

Well, we (and a lot of other folks) bought red/white/blue lights back in September and have turned them on nightly since then.  We didn't put up any extra lights at Christmas time, just continued to burn the r/w/b ones.  Do you remember how many people lit their houses up right after Sept. 11?  It was heart warming and after seeing the affect it had on my kids' patriotism, I'll continue to keep them lit. :dance: