Cia

SmallTown

Football season!
Interesting story. Surprised they won't have an investigation, this is VERY serious stuff for the CIA...

"The White House will cooperate with the Justice Department in its initial inquiry into who leaked the classified identity of a CIA operative, but will not launch an internal probe and will not ask for an independent investigation, a spokesman said Monday. The operative is the wife of a former U.S. ambassador who had been critical of the Bush's administration's handling of intelligence on Iraq"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There was some guy on the news saying it was Rove that leaked, but then he said they had no proof that it was him, so :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
ST...

...I'll be watching this one.

If this woman was burned out of some political spite I'll be calling for heads to roll.

From what I know so far, he, the ambassador, has made his politics more important that his jobs. Apparently, he is associated with a bunch of left anti-Bush groups.

Also, I have heard in a few stories that it was a poorly kept secret that she has ties or works with the CIA. Seems for show perhaps, so no one is in danger.

What I find strange is that this story is several month old. I read the original Novak piece when it first came out and saw him, the ambass, on CNN.

Odd re-birth.

The folks over at the DU have their fingers crossed that THIS is the one.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Yeah I was listening to Sean Hannity yesterday, and to C-SPAN. Basically, it seems that:

- the fact that his wife works for the CIA is as well known among most folks working around DC as that Newt had a girlfriend on the side.

- she was an *analyst*. Geez. If every time I mentioned someone *I* knew who was an analyst for the CIA worked for them - would *I* be "leaking" vital, national security information?

- Novak says, no one leaked anything to him - it's so well known, mentioning it is kind of pointless

- this guy was a Clinton appointee who has written in various left-leaning periodicals -- he is against the war, against Bush, and has been very vocal about it. But he keeps his job.

- it was his own report that suggested months ago that the whole Niger connection may have been ginned up, for the war. This after his own personal investigation which, under scrutiny, appears to have been very weak, at best

- *LAST* October, and in an aside on the Hannity and Colmes show in July of this year, he admitted that Saddam *was* pursuing aggressively an atomic weapons program.

- all of course, which British intelligence maintains, and he is in contradiction of - that his remarks are simply *wrong* - and that he should have done a better investigation than the half-assed one that miraculously coincided with his own political convictions.

So this whole "mess" is one ####ed off person who has always disliked Bush, even though he owes his job to him, attempting to take a potshot over something so trivial that anyone INSIDE the Beltway knows is a crock of ####.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Newsmax(consider the source)

Former U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Joseph Wilson admitted Monday morning that he fabricated a key part of his allegation that the White House deliberately blew his wife's cover as a CIA weapons analyst.

Wilson has accused top Bush political strategist Karl Rove of leaking the name to columnist Robert Novak, telling a Seattle audience last month that he wanted "to see whether or not we can get Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs."

But he told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday that he got "carried away" and made up the Rove allegation out of thin air.

"In one speech I gave out in Seattle not too long ago, I mentioned the name Karl Rove," Wilson told GMA. "I think I was probably carried away by the spirit of the moment."

Wilson then confessed, "I don't have any knowledge that Karl Rove himself was either the leaker or the authorizer of the leak."

Wilson insisted, however, "I have great confidence that, at a minimum, [Rove] condoned it and certainly did nothing to shut it down."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This Wilson guy was on CNN last night saying he was sure it was Rove that leaked because Rove had once given an interview to Bob Novak. Right then and there I knew it was a BS witch hunt. How? Because every major politician in the last 10-15 years has had contact with Novak. The CNN guy didn't feel the need to point this out, of course - he just shook his head and let it go.

Sorry, Democrats - try again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now they're trotting out the "character witnesses".

Link won't last, get it while it's hot

A former counter-terrorism official at the CIA and the State Department claimed Tuesday night that outed CIA agent "Valerie Plame" was under cover for three decades and was not a "CIA analyst" as columnist Bob Novak has suggested.

Larry Johnson made the charge on PBS's NEWSHOUR.

"I worked with this woman. She started training with me. She has been under cover for three decades."

Yet a Washington Post story says she's only 40 years old. That's some trick, to be an undercover CIA operative at 10 years of age.

Yes, these people think we're as stupid as they are.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
By three decades I am sure they are using the simple interpretation of the 80s, 90s, and 00s where if you worked the last day of 1989 it was working in that decade. Anything to make it sound more damaging.