X-Box 360....

C

czygvtwkr

What exactly is the advantage of having one of the units with a hard drive vs the cheapie "Arcade Edition"?

smithchick231

well, i actually just put my foot in mouth on this one. I kept insisting to Hubby that he didnt need a harddrive, that was just fluff. As soon as we got it home and plugged it in, it updated the system hardware and used up about 89% of the memory card. Then anytime we tried to save anything from our gamer profile to even the simplest game...it said insufficient memory. OH and anytime you put in a game for the first time, it updates the game to the xbox, and guess what..u have to download that stuff too...we had 3 nice games we couldnt play for a week because we didnt have sufficient memory to run them. A note to mention, we are online, so I dont know if you're not dialed in that u get the same results. Maybe if you arent online, it doesnt have to download, patches, upgrades, and so on. After the first night I went online and got a 60G harddrive for about 30 bucks (wayyyy cheaper than Gamestop or Walmart) and it showed up 2 days later in original packaging with warranty and works wonderfully. Hopes this helps...I'll post the link to the site I ordered from in a moment :)

glhs837

Power with Control
In addition to that, you should be aware that there is a new hardware revision just now hitting shelves. Micosoft names the motherboards in the machines, and he latest is called Jasper. Why you should care is the the Xbox 360 has had large failure rates (estimated to be %30 maybe for the first iteration, dropping to maybe %3 now) commonly called the "Red Ring Of Death", or RROD.

Google the term if you want more info, but, in my opinion. its worth taking the tiny bit of extra effort to get a Japser machine, and save yourself from someday having to mail it back for repair.

Inside an Xbox 360 Jasper: Ben Heck dissects the mythical console, then tells you how to find one - Engadget

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
In addition to that, you should be aware that there is a new hardware revision just now hitting shelves. Micosoft names the motherboards in the machines, and he latest is called Jasper. Why you should care is the the Xbox 360 has had large failure rates (estimated to be %30 maybe for the first iteration, dropping to maybe %3 now) commonly called the "Red Ring Of Death", or RROD.

Google the term if you want more info, but, in my opinion. its worth taking the tiny bit of extra effort to get a Japser machine, and save yourself from someday having to mail it back for repair.

Inside an Xbox 360 Jasper: Ben Heck dissects the mythical console, then tells you how to find one - Engadget

This is interesting. My kid wants an XBox, but after talking with a lot of gamers, I'd say 8 out of 10 have had to return the XBox because of the RROD. We basically decided on the PS3 specifically because of this. He's had his PS2 for years and his PSP and both have always worked without incident. I figured I'd go with the Sony because of our past experience, but if this is the case and the RROD problem has been resolved, maybe I need to re-think.

glhs837

Power with Control
I can say my PS3 has been trouble free, and running fine for over two years now. No one can say for sure if Jasper has fixed the RROD, but after three years, they should have finally figured it out:)

Beta84

They're out to get us
"Arcade Version" means it's like the arcade. You walk into an arcade, you put your coins in, you play a game, and that's all she wrote. No gamer profiles. No saved games. Nothing.

If you want to save anything whatsoever, don't get the arcade version.

thurley42

HY;FR
This is interesting. My kid wants an XBox, but after talking with a lot of gamers, I'd say 8 out of 10 have had to return the XBox because of the RROD. We basically decided on the PS3 specifically because of this. He's had his PS2 for years and his PSP and both have always worked without incident. I figured I'd go with the Sony because of our past experience, but if this is the case and the RROD problem has been resolved, maybe I need to re-think.

nothing to rethink...you get a blu ray player and free online gaming...the PS3 has a built in wireless connection as well...the Xbox doesn't play HD movies and costs to play online...

i have all three and haven't touched my xbox really since i got my ps3

BuddyLee

Football addict
nothing to rethink...you get a blu ray player and free online gaming...the PS3 has a built in wireless connection as well...the Xbox doesn't play HD movies and costs to play online...

i have all three and haven't touched my xbox really since i got my ps3
Yep, gotta go with PS3.:yay:

Can't wait until I go online on Tuesday.:yahoo:

Beta84

They're out to get us
plenty of games aren't available on PS3 that are xbox 360 exclusive. i'll take my halo and gears of war :yay:

i didn't buy my game system for DVD/Blue ray capabilities...just the games i could play with it...

thurley42

HY;FR
plenty of games aren't available on PS3 that are xbox 360 exclusive. i'll take my halo and gears of war :yay:

i didn't buy my game system for DVD/Blue ray capabilities...just the games i could play with it...

i mainly play sports games and the first time i got the RROD i was over xbox...you can keep halo and GOW, not a big fan..