Relocating

Danny

How is everyone?  My family and I will be moving to the Lexington Park area from PA this June.  We will be visiting the end of Feb. and wanted to see if anyone could give me and idea of what area to look for to rent a house.  I am also big into hunting and fishing and would like to join a sportsmen club or a group of people who also like to hunt to help me learn about the area.  I also really enjoy shooting pool, I participated in Valley League pool when we were in Maine and would like to join a league.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Danny

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi Danny!  Hunting, fishing, shooting pool - boy, are you coming to the right place!

Where to live really depends on what you're looking for.  Do you have kids?  Do you need to be convenient to the base?  Do you want neighbors or do you prefer privacy?  Your best bet is to hook up with a real estate agent - they have books filled with rentals that you can go through, then decide which ones you want to see.

Danny

Yeah, I do have a couple of kids.  I will be working on the base but I do not necessarily have to live real close.  I don't mind a little bit of a drive for the right area to live in.  We are looking to rent so that we can have more time to find the right area to buy a house in.  It seems like SOMD is more expensive than W. Pa.  I have heard that the area is really in the country.  I am really looking forward to that because that is the type of area I grew up in.  Nice type of area to raise children in.  I appreciate your input.  Thanks, Danny

Danny, if your children are elementary age, please look at the school districts and how well each school scored in the recent MSPAP (standardized tests).    There are nice neighborhoods . . . and then there are nice neighborhoods in different school districts.  The elementary school districts in the Lexington Park area are like puzzle pieces, so you can't really tell which school your children will go to simply by which one is closest to your home.  A good real estate agent should be able to steer you in the right direction.  Good luck and I'm sure you'll like Southern Maryland.

geekboy

Hey Danny I came from fairly close to Pittsburgh,  there is the Rod and Gun club on base.  I think you will be disappointed in the hunting though.  Back home I would see 10-15 deer a day and I lived in town.  Here I see a deer once or twice a year.  

I suggest looking south of the base in places like Ridge, St Marys City, St Indigos etc.  You get out of all the congestion and all the bums in Lexington Park, yes there are bums here had to chase one off my back porch twice in the last month.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Danny,

I live near Leonardtown and there are nice areas up this way too.  It's all in what you’re looking for.  Not knowing what your budget allows there might be some places available in Breton Bay.  Nice homes and community.  The farther north up the Potomac is nice too but the drive gets longer to the base.  I wouldn't recommend Lexington Park either, but who knows you might like it.  When you come to check the area out drive about and see which part of the county, or actually which county, appeals to you.  If driving doesn’t bother you I know people that drive over from Virginia every day from the Dahlgren area, NAVAIR still has tons of commuters from Northern Virginia.

As far as deer go I see hundreds every season driving to and from work and around the county.  Some good hunting when you get permission to hunt on the farms.  When I’ve gone out a deer has been brought back.  Fishing is fishing, the county is a peninsula with plenty of saltwater fish and crabs.  The county also has several ponds and lakes with some freshwater fish too.  Outdoors wise I think you would be satisfied.

Danny

Thanks for all the info.  Geekboy, I am from Grove City, about 40 miles north of PItt.  I really love to bow hunt and I am used to seeing alot of deer when I am out.  I am sure I will have to get used to the hunting there though.  I have done little saltwater fishing and I have never been crabbing but it sounds like it will be fun.  I would really like to get in with a group of guys who hunt and know the area.  I love bow hunting but I pretty much like to hunt whatever and whenever I can.  Thanks again for the info.  Danny

downset

Danny I'm from close to Grove City to and you will love the fishing/crabing and hunting.  Yes the realestate is alot higher here...looking at a house that back home would probably be about 80,000 here its like 150,000.  Costs alot more to buy in this area.  Still trying to figure out why its so much more in this area.  Not like anything is here except the base.  O well later on.

blondie79

I've been in the area for ten years and it really depends on how much you are willing to spend.  Rentals in this area are expensive.  If you are looking for cheap, then you will get that.  You tell me how much you want to spend and I can point you in the right direction.

geekboy

Ken the amount of deer in Western PA is unreal.  On the interstate you cant go 2 miles without seeing one that has been hit by a car.  They are actually quite a nusience there are so many of them.  My mother complains all the time because the deer ate her flowers, bushes, crapped all over in the yard.  They are rather tame too, one went up to my father to see what he had in his coffee cup.  

geekboy

Oh Yea the worst thing,  the Steelers are not on hardly ever.  Heck sometimes the TV stations down here have golf or figure skating on instead of football, whats up with that.  

Danny

I will be getting the NFL and NHL Ticket on some satelite system.  I won't be able to not see the games.  Yeah the deer here are pretty outrageous.  My parent live in the country and I see deer and turkey everyday.  

Danny

The deer in my area must not be as used to people as in your area.  They run when ever they even think something is wrong here.  Have to be perched up in a tree to get a chance with a bow.  Turkey are starting to become a problem too.  There are so many that they are starting to cause alot of crop damage themselves.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Geekboy,

I understand that there are more deer in western PA.  I would even like to go up that way to help reduce the population problem.  Every other year or so I go to western Virginia to join in on their hunting season.  Right now I guess I am lucky to know a couple of local farm owners that let me work the local deer to my hearts content.  I don't bow hunt and I have switched to blackpowder for the seasons around here.  I own a shotgun but blackpowder just adds something to it for me.  I know the amount of time it takes to get one and have many sores from sitting in a not so comfortable stand.  I learned years ago that all a comfortable stand does is put me to sleep.

Danny,

I guess you don't get the games in PA due to blackout rules the league has with the television gurus.  If you want to spend the money DirecTV will bring you the games.  BTW who are you taking a job with?  A contractor or the government.  Also I haven't done any turkey calling in a while but I have been shown how by some real old timers up in the mountains and once watched an old boy drop three (with two shots) with a .270 as they glided down the mountain.

Danny

Ken,  I will be working for the govt.  If you ever want to hunt in W. Pa.  Let me know.  I will hook you up with some farmers who hate deer and welcome any hunter who will hunt safely and respect their property.  Besides bow hunting, spring Gobbler is my favorite season.  I love calling.  I haven't gotten very good with a mouth call but I can use the others pretty well.  I have called gobblers in for me and my friends the last three years.  There aren't any blackouts in this area.  I get to watch every Pitt game that comes on but I will have to get Direct TV when I move there so I can still watch them.  Shooting turkeys with a rifle is tough.  Those old timers sure now how to do it though.  

Danny, I am from around Harrisville, Pa and will be moving to the area in June as well. I live in San Diego right now but travel home to go hunting every year. Maybe we can stay in contact and hook up and go out hunting together or I will show you how to crab.