To Spank or Not?

Erin

The other night the baby had hiccups and kept my stomach shaking for a while. If I could have found the little butt, I would have paddled it so I could get some sleep.
I'm just kidding of course, I'd never hit my kid... unless it talks back, looks at me sideways, says "no," screams, acts up in public, etc...

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Erin
The other night the baby had hiccups and kept my stomach shaking for a while. If I could have found the little butt, I would have paddled it so I could get some sleep.
I'm just kidding of course, I'd never hit my kid... unless it talks back, looks at me sideways, says "no," screams, acts up in public, etc...
ooops, I thought you wanted a spanking....:ohwell:

Erin

Re: Re: To Spank or Not?

Originally posted by mainman
ooops, I thought you wanted a spanking....:ohwell:
As flattering and nice as that sounds, I'm not discussing my sex life - seems I'm the ONLY ONE! But, you guys have an idea that I've at least have had it before.

J

justhangn

Re: Re: Re: Re: To Spank or Not?

Originally posted by kwillia
My mom tells of the time she first grasped what exactly went on between a man and a woman and when she was on a public bus with her mother, a pregnant lady got on the bus. My mom said, "Awwwwww, I know what she did." My grandmother slapped my mother.
Did she look at her sideways? :shrug:

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: To Spank or Not?

Originally posted by kwillia
My mom tells of the time she first grasped what exactly went on between a man and a woman and when she was on a public bus with her mother, a pregnant lady got on the bus. My mom said, "Awwwwww, I know what she did." My grandmother slapped my mother.
:killingme: Guess that made her want to explain it to everyone on the bus?
Poor ma, how humiliating.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Erin
unless it talks back, looks at me sideways, says "no," screams, acts up in public, etc...
:lol: :yay: Don't forget lying - that's what you get smacked for at my house.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think we had a pretty good discussion on this a while back. :shrug:

I don't believe in spanking and didn't do it. However, I backhanded my 6 foot son across the mouth once years ago for a smart-a$$ remark. Got his attention.:biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Spank 'em if ya got 'em. :whip:

It'll teach them who's the boss.

At least until they are bigger than you, and then you need new weapons.
:roflmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Sharon
At least until they are bigger than you
No, because by then you've established dominance and pecking order. Sheese, don't you people watch the Discovery Channel? :lol:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
No, because by then you've established dominance and pecking order. Sheese, don't you people watch the Discovery Channel? :lol:
Hmmm...I guess you missed the part where the younger adult male lions try to establish dominance over the older king of the pride. :lmao:

Pete

Repete
I have no problem with spanking. As a matter of fact I seem to have been spanking alot lately. Wait, you mean spanking kids...oh.

Last edited:
I have only spanked my son 1 time. He was about 2 or 3 years old. I told him to stop doing something about 10 times, he didn't stop. I warned him of what would happen. He didn't stop. I lightly (hard enough for him to feel, not hard enough to hurt) smacked him 1 time on the diaper. He went into shock and stopped what he was doing. Have never had to do it again, but not opposed to it. Spare the rod & spoil the child. I say don't spare it & raise a good kid.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by huntr1
I have only spanked my son 1 time. He was about 2 or 3 years old. I told him to stop doing something about 10 times, he didn't stop. I warned him of what would happen. He didn't stop. I lightly (hard enough for him to feel, not hard enough to hurt) smacked him 1 time on the diaper. He went into shock and stopped what he was doing. Have never had to do it again, but not opposed to it. Spare the rod & spoil the child. I say don't spare it & raise a good kid.

This is where we disagree. Spanking is an extreme last resort. (I feel this has proved out by the fact that the kids are pretty well behaved with only one spanking between them) I will get physical in the respect that if the kid refuses to do something I will force him to do it or physically restrain him from doing something. I figure by the time they are too old to overpower, I won't need to do it.

Originally posted by cmcdanal
This is where we disagree. Spanking is an extreme last resort. (I feel this has proved out by the fact that the kids are pretty well behaved with only one spanking between them) I will get physical in the respect that if the kid refuses to do something I will force him to do it or physically restrain him from doing something. I figure by the time they are too old to overpower, I won't need to do it.
Actually, we do agree.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
I don't spank and I never will. Spanking is not a parenting tool/skill I want in my arsenal. It's sad to think of a child fearing their parent and what exactly is the lesson being taught by spanking...it's ok to hit someone? Is that anyway to each a child to handle problems? Its consistency and guidance that work best for my husband and me, our kids know we say what we mean, and mean what we say.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
not that I'd reduce my kid to an animal, but the scenario ...

There is a pecking order established early on in animals because the lower totem polers fear/respect the elders. They do this one of two ways (IMO) ... they are born lucky enough to understand respect or they test those boundaries and need a swift kick in the arse back into those boundaries. I'd rather my kid have a twinge of fear of me if it keeps her from becoming a criminal than have to hire Johnny Cochran to defend her in a legal matter because she didn't understand respect or broke some rules/laws.

I'd never "beat" her (in the sense she'd go into the hospital), but if I've said "no" twice and she still doesn't get it, sitting down to have a calm little discussion and have her draw pictures to explain her defiance isn't going to work either.

My kid's had her hiney-butt spanked a couple times, but it's been a loooooong time since I've had to do it. And overall, she's a pretty good (though typical) 5-yr-old.