land question

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I was wondering what your opinion is?

I have a house and own about 2 acres of woods behind it. There was a house built on the edge of the woods a few months ago. The people who live in that house (have never met them) have started to cut down trees to make their backyard bigger I suppose. I am not sure where my property ends.
Do I:

1. Ignore it. I never go in those woods anyway.
2. Have someone come tell me where my property ends so I know if they are cutting down trees on my property.
3. Introduce myself to these people and ask them if they had the property surveyed and are positive they own what they are messing with.

I think its a couple hundred dollars to have the land surveyed so I am not sure what I want to do. Am I just whining for nothing :bigwhoop:

Do you have a plat for your property? You might be able to figure out for yourself approximately where the property line is.

birdman

I would suck it up and pay the money to get it surveyed. Then there will be zero question about where the property line is.

united

Yea, you'll want to have it surveyed to find out if they are on your property or not, if they use your property long enough with out you complaining, it will be come theirs.

Yea, you'll want to have it surveyed to find out if they are on your property or not, if they use your property long enough with out you complaining, it will be come theirs.

20 years I believe - and there are a lot of conditions on that.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I'm trying to read my land survey and that thing is confussing to me.

There are a lot of numbers. To one side of my house it has S16'02'59'W and 416.85' and 218.04' and 517'27'25W and 28.90' and 523'49'30'W all down a line.

On the other side it has N25'13'44'E and 703.91'.

Too many numbers :jameo:

The realtor told us that the land went to the edge of the trees but I'm not going by what she says.

I'm trying to read my land survey and that thing is confussing to me.

There are a lot of numbers. To one side of my house it has S16'02'59'W and 416.85' and 218.04' and 517'27'25W and 28.90' and 523'49'30'W all down a line.

On the other side it has N25'13'44'E and 703.91'.

Too many numbers :jameo:

The realtor told us that the land went to the edge of the trees but I'm not going by what she says.

Do you have a plat/site plan - it would be more like a picture that graphically shows where the property lines are? If its a site plan it would show where your house is located on the property.

If you don't have one, you might be able to get access to a subdivision plat on line, if it wasn't subdivided a long time ago.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
Do you have a plat/site plan - it would be more like a picture that graphically shows where the property lines are? If its a site plan it would show where your house is located on the property.

If you don't have one, you might be able to get access to a subdivision plat on line, if it wasn't subdivided a long time ago.

All I have is what the health dept gives you. Had to get septic pumped and it wasnt marked. Is that a site plan?

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
All I have is what the health dept gives you. Had to get well pumped and it wasnt marked. Is that a site plan?

I hope you didn't get your well pumped, or you would of lost alot of water.

Would that of been a septic tank?

All I have is what the health dept gives you. Had to get well pumped and it wasnt marked. Is that a site plan?

It might be, but I'm not sure.

How old is the house and do you know about when the property that makes up your lot was 'cut' out of a bigger piece of land? I mean, is it in a subdivision?

Also, do you have a copy of your deed - that will make the process of finding a plat a little easier? But, you can probably find it even if you don't have the deed.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
It might be, but I'm not sure.

How old is the house and do you know about when the property that makes up your lot was 'cut' out of a bigger piece of land? I mean, is it in a subdivision?

14 years old. It was subdivided. If the realtor gave me a deed, I have it.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
I was wondering what your opinion is?

I have a house and own about 2 acres of woods behind it. There was a house built on the edge of the woods a few months ago. The people who live in that house (have never met them) have started to cut down trees to make their backyard bigger I suppose. I am not sure where my property ends.
Do I:

1. Ignore it. I never go in those woods anyway.
2. Have someone come tell me where my property ends so I know if they are cutting down trees on my property.
3. Introduce myself to these people and ask them if they had the property surveyed and are positive they own what they are messing with.

I think its a couple hundred dollars to have the land surveyed so I am not sure what I want to do. Am I just whining for nothing :bigwhoop:

The plats are online

http://plats.net

name: plato

password: plato#

Not that easy to use, but they're there.

:popcorn:

14 years old. It was subdivided. If the realtor gave me a deed, I have it.

You should be able to pull up the subdivision plat then (if you want to). How useful it will be is hard to know without seeing your property.

It may have references to points that would be easy to identify - but if they are in the woods they might be impossible to find.

If you find the deed (your realtor should definitely have given it to you), there should be a reference on there to the original subdivision plat. It will give you a two part number - like liber xxx, folio yyy.

You can go to this site and plug those numbers in to get access to the plat. (Book = liber, Page = folio)

Again, that may be useful or it may turn out to be a complete waste of time. Either way, its nice to have a plat of your property handy.

Edit: I just realized I was assuming you were in St. Mary's County. If not, I can tell you where to go for other counties - or you can use the link BG provided.

Last edited: