Which dog would you rescue?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
As a new member of an animal rescue, I'm getting ready to save one of the dogs from the pound. Question is, which one? The one I was gonna save got adopted :clap: :clap: so now I'm down to a few selections:

The very sweet huge deathly thin rottie?
The little wire hair terrier turned in due to allergies: dog has flea and or food allergies. Miserable in the pound due to the noise.?
Black cocker that was attacked by other dogs and needs to be stitched up?
Sad looking little terrier cocker mix that just looks depressed?
Great lookin GSD Rottie mix, stumpy tail, one ear floppy down and one ear standing up?

No one is scheduled to be put down yet and all I have to do is pick one, get it vetted (at a great discount) and it'll go to a foster home. Can only get one. Who would you pick, based on my descriptions?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
How about a GSD chow mix? Imagine a black GSD head with the chow tongue? Very cool lookin dog. Wish I'd done these pictures on digital.

K

Kizzy

Great lookin GSD Rottie mix, stumpy tail, one ear floppy down and one ear standing up?

He/she sounds cute looking with the one ear up and one down thing.

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Hello6
Can only get one. Who would you pick, based on my descriptions?
This one:
The little wire hair terrier turned in due to allergies: dog has flea and or food allergies. Miserable in the pound due to the noise.?
Sounds like that one had a good home and its owner decided to "turn it in"? Because the dog has allergies?? They may as well have turned it out into the street. A dog who had a home now has to live in the pound--surely miserable whether it's the noise or not--on the brink of euthanasia. It disgusts me. :burning:

So... there's my answer. I would choose the wirehair, love it like I love all my other pets, and pay for the care of its allergies, as I do for my asthmatic cat.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I doubt poor dixie (she came with that name) had a good home. They shaved her fur down, halfway up her neck. She's crawling with fleas and I really don't think it would be that much of an effort to clear it all up.

Bertha Venation

I doubt poor dixie (she came with that name) had a good home. They shaved her fur down, halfway up her neck. She's crawling with fleas and I really don't think it would be that much of an effort to clear it all up.
My point exactly. (Oh, I did write "good" home, didn't I? Should've edited that word out.) It does not take too much to meet an animal's needs.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
It's likely that some other soft hearted soul will rescue her since she's small, but I'm there for her if not. When an owner turns a dog, it's available immediately. It has 5 days before the clock ticks to put it down. So many dogs....

K

Kizzy

Hello6

You do need to post pictures so that the soft hearted people here will break down and adopt. (for my hubby who reads the board but doesn't post much) Right honey! :biggrin:

Bertha Venation

So many dogs....
I know. You're a good-hearted soul. I am a terrible softy but we can't have dogs at all. We wouldn't be able to give them the attention and constant care they require.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The very sweet huge deathly thin rottie?
AIDS death dog - ummm...no.
Neurotic loser dog - there's a kid in my daughter's school like this.
Black cocker that was attacked by other dogs and needs to be stitched up?
Probably deserved it - another loser dog
Sad looking little terrier cocker mix that just looks depressed?
Just what you need - Prozac dog. Pass him by.
There's your dog.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
It's the obvious choice, but my heart still feels for Dixie. I know I need to rescue the dog that will be adopted out quickly and is healthy, so I'll just have to let the clock keep ticking. Whoever is first to go will get pulled out in the nick of time by me and the other ladies. I will post photos, I didn't take any digital this time. I usually do. I take photos of all of them and write little bios of them on index cards and post them up on a board at the Greenbriar Petsmart in Chesapeke VA. What really sucks about that is to replace the photos of the dogs, knowing they were killed, and that picture is all that's left of them.:bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pizz on Dixie. Dogs are like men - you can't save every one of them. At some point, you need to quit feeling sorry for them and pick the one that will work for you, not the one that needs a Mommy the most.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
But dogs, unlike men, appreciate the mothering. I pick the one without a ray of hope, the one that has been let down the most by people. I'm not looking for a dog to work for me, I'm a volunteer for a RESCUE. We RESCUE dogs. People want small dogs. Anyway, we'll probably be able to get them both, just got to find another foster home.

stacey

GSD Rottie Mix! I have one of those, and he's the best dog who has ever existed. I can't think of a better dog!!! Plus he'd be kind of hard to adopt out.

If you adopt him you won't have to pay any vet bills - so you can make up for it by fostering Dixie for a little while and getting her all fixed up and finding somebody else to adopt her. Once she's prettied up she'd be really easy to adopt out!