bloat or knocked up?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
My blue gourami is lookin' pretty fat around the gills and belly. Is it knocked up or bloated? :confused: They're usually pretty lean fish, but this one is definately growing in girth!

I'm not keen on my community fish anyway, so if you all think it's kicking the bucket, I'll feed it to the cichlids and speed up emptying that tank to get more cichlids. :ohwell:

Bertha Venation

CC, have you ever been to the Aquaria Central forums? The forums there are well-populated and move fairly quickly. You can get some good, accurate, fast answers there.

Sorry, I don't know anything about gouramis. But I hope for the gourami's sake it's just knocked up.

What kind of community fish do you have? If they're the right kinds & there aren't too many, I might be able to relieve you of them.

crabcake

My other blue gourami kicked the bucket about 3 weeks ago, and I have no clue about fish gestation. There is a red gourami in there with it though. Do they breed within the same family or only within the same color? :confused:

Thx for the fish forum Bertha. I'll check it out. I was on one a while back, but it was pretty quiet.

This is my community fish tank. There are three Angel fish (one black one and two white/black/yellow ones), the blue gourami, a red gourami, a couple of pastel colored tetras, two albino catfish, two silver fish with red, yellow and black on their tales (can't remember what they are), one gold fish (gold in color, that is; not a 'goldfish'), and maybe one or two I'm forgetting. :ohwell: It's a 29-gallon tank.

I put the bristlenose in there (to clean up the algae that was starting to form on the sides of the tank) and he is one happy boy right now! :biggrin: He'll go back to my cichlid tank after he's finished, or if I get rid of these community fish, I'll get another pleco for the cichlid tank, and just get more cichlids for this tank and keep him there.

crabcake

good point archi. I hadn't thought about that (feeding a sick fish to the healthy ones ...) :ohwell: Call it a blonde moment! :lol:

I love that bristle nose pleco too. He sure does keep a tidy house when it comes to algae! Saves me the job of scrubbin the tank. Wonder if he'd hurt the goldfish if I put him in my daughter's tank next. Kind of keep rotating him among the tanks, or would that #### him off. :confused:

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by *archimedes*
The most humane way to euthanize an unwanted fish when necessary, is to scoop them into one of those little holding tanks and pop them into the freezer. Don't flush, don't feed.
I prefer dropping them into a short glass of liquor. If you care about being humane, the waste of the substance is worth it. Instant death. (Of course, I don't recommend using Macallan's or some such for this procedure... I usually use the least expensive thing in the cabinet when the need arises.)

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Well, don't ask it. I got smacked once for that.
One of my favorite stand-ups says she was once asked that question, only in this form--no preface, nothing, someone just walked up to her and said

"Oh my god, how cool!! How far along are you?"

"4 1/2 months."

"Oooh! What are you going to name it?"

"I dunno, probably either Ben or Jerry...."

crabcake

Originally posted by Bertha Venation
I prefer dropping them into a short glass of liquor. If you care about being humane, the waste of the substance is worth it. Instant death. (Of course, I don't recommend using Macallan's or some such for this procedure... I usually use the least expensive thing in the cabinet when the need arises.)

There is 3/4 of a 12 pack of 10 oz bud lights that were left in my fridge ... will those work? :shrug: :lol:

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by crabcake
There is 3/4 of a 12 pack of 10 oz bud lights that were left in my fridge ... will those work? :shrug: :lol:
:lol: ...but I think it's the high-test stuff that does 'em in quickly. Maybe you can find a nice family who needs the 10 oz Buds to mix up baby's pablum.

crabcake

I am NOT sharing my vodka or my Myer's rum with that little bastard! :nono: I'll just wait and see if it sinks or gives birth. :biggrin: