The difference between a liberal and a conservative

SamSpade

"Elton John loves Andre Agassi, and he loves Las Vegas.

But Sir Elton absolutely despises Dennis Miller.

The superstar pop music icon -- who earlier in the day confirmed to us our August report that he is going to become a Strip headliner -- attacked Miller from his piano perch at the end of Saturday night's "Grand Slam for Children" benefit hosted by Agassi at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"Americans are always asking why the rest of the world hates them," John said after singing his first song, "Tiny Dancer." "Well, the reason is Dennis Miller."

"You've all gone mental if you liked that," John said, before looking at the floor and shaking his head in disgust.

Earlier in the show Miller delivered about 20 minutes of his usual act -- biting, sarcastic political humor with a very strong right-of-center slant.

Miller's remarks include bits about not caring about blowing the Baghdad Museum to bits, and his advocating killing caribou and raping Alaska for oil so there would be a lessened dependency on foreign outlets.

The caustic comic was one of a number of superstar performers at the event, including Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLachlan, Robin Williams, Billy Joel, 14-year-old newcomer Renee Olstead and, after a 13-year hiatus, a reunited Tears for Fears (Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal).

We spoke to Miller after the show and asked him if he had heard John's remarks.

With a smile as tight as a Speedo on a sumo wrestler, Miller said, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion."
Then he made a quick exit into a staging area where we weren't allowed to go.

When we caught up to John, he didn't want to talk about Miller, but did lavish praise on Agassi for his charitable work. Sir Elton will make public the details of his 2004-05 Colosseum engagement at an Oct. 21 announcement. He will perform on some of Celine Dion's dark nights.

"I love Las Vegas and I am looking forward to being here more often," he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Now there's logic...

Wow, the whole world hates us because of Dennis Miller! :lmao:

Who knew? :shrug:

Shut up and sing Johnboy. :shutup:

Hessian

Dennis Miller considers the Dems...

Miller commenced with comments about California Gov. Gray Davis:

"Good guy, just a bad governor. The only thing I have against Gray Davis is, you know, let's face facts. California is circling the crapper at the speed of light. The deficit doesn't even bother me that much. ... They talk about us owing like $400 billion or something. I always think, 'Do we actually owe somebody that?' And if we do, you know, don't pay 'em. Nobody pays us! There ya go, I just solved the deficit."
On national politics and the Democratic debates:

"Those are frightening affairs. That is such an empty-headed scrum those Democratic debates. I tune in, you see all nine of them together, it's like a Pez-dispenser séance."

"Dick Gephardt. Most politicians are transparent, this guy's literally translucent. I sometimes think I can see Janet Leigh showering on the other side of him."

"Joe Lieberman. I never thought you'd hear this coming out my piehole, but he's no Gore."

"Al Sharpton's ramblings have gone so far afield now, somebody's gonna have to install an On-Star button in the middle of his forehead."

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

"You know all the Democrats are going to hell in a handbasket. Now they got [California's] Nancy Pelosi. ... You ever see she has that pop-eyed look all the time? I always thought she might be hyper-thyroid, but then I heard her speak a couple times. She's stupid! The reason her eyes are so wide is that she's as shocked as we are that she made it that high!"

"Robert Byrd, this guy stands there and lectures Bush in the well of the Senate. He was in the Ku Klux Klan! He's demented. You know this guy's burning the cross at both ends! And you know something, if Robert Byrd were your grandfather and he came to Thanksgiving dinner and went off one of these demented screeds, everybody would sit there smiling at him, and as soon as he left the room, somebody'd say, 'Hey, what the hell are we gonna do about grandpa?'"

"And the Clintons won't shut up. If that marriage were any more about convenience, they'd have to install a Slim-Jim rack and a Slurpee machine at the base of the bed. [Hillary] jumps on every opportunity to take a shot at Bush. They have a blackout in New York, she starts blaming it on Bush. You know, this woman doesn't miss a trick – unless it's the one her old man's with on any given night."

I sincerely wish Sir Elton would shut up....its only a matter of time before some disease torment him to death or a jealous loverboy kills him. A true freak.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Just wondering why "comedians" think they know so much more about politics than the rest of us. Hmmm, shades of the Dixie Chix? Haven't I heard this rant from the other side before. No, it couldn't be....

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by jlabsher
Just wondering why "comedians" think they know so much more about politics than the rest of us. Hmmm, shades of the Dixie Chix? Haven't I heard this rant from the other side before. No, it couldn't be....

Because all good comedy is based somewhat on truth.

SamSpade

Or why singers think they know so much more than comedians. I posted it partly to show the difference between the two - Elton John says people hate America because of people like Dennis Miller, and that you're "mental" if you like what he says - and Dennis's response is "he's entitled to his opinion".

I'm really tired of the constant mantra of liberals that says it is the conservatives who insult, attack and ridicule, while they do nothing of the kind.

Admittedly, this thread has at least brought me to a new revelation. See, I thought Dennis's rant posted by Hessian was just amusing ways of looking at the truth. To my ears, he has not gone over the line in his remarks. But I suspect that someone who is liberal would see just the opposite - a mean, nasty conservative saying all kinds of crap.

Ok.

Change seats.

If you're a liberal, look back at the kind of stuff conservatives have to hear. My favorite is still Al Gore's description of gun owners as "extra chromosome right wing nuts". Go from Franken, to Moore, to Garafolo to Streisand and so on. It's all nasty and rude.

Actually I am amazed by Susan Estritch's latest column. Usually her strident screeching is enough to make me switch channels, but in her current column she wags a collective shame on you to the LA Times for their barrage on Schwarzenegger.

http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=ses

Sometimes I think the reason channels like Fox get such seething insulting comments from liberals is they really don't like getting what they've been dishing for years. Yeah, it has a conservative bias and amazingly I also think it is fair and balanced because they at least DO have people like Estrich on *regularly*.

But it's all a matter of perspective. One man's insulting comedian is another man's prophet and sage.

SmallTown

Football season!
and for the longest time dennis miller had a left slant. Would people have the same opinions about him back then compared to now?