Xbox 360 or PS3

SJSWING

Ok, I know there has been threads posted like this before but I think my situation is going to be a little bit different. I am really torn. I have had a Xbox 360 for the past 4 years. I am starting to get tired of some of the games. I am thinking about trading it in to get a PS3 but have some drawbacks. 1. How does the online play for the PS3 rate against the Xbox? (are there monthly fees, is there the arcade like xbox etc...) 2. I am looking to get a blu ray player, is the blu ray on the PS3 decent for the movies? 3. I know the reviews when they came out with the PS3 were not good at all. They kept over heating, can anyone tell me if they have fixed this problem?

I really like the xbox but there are some features that I am looking for that just don't help me with it anymore, such as no high def. movies that can be played. With the HD movies going down the drain to blu-ray.

Anyone that could help me compare the 2 it would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused:

frogman123

PS3 is free online, you can do the PS3Home which is like a little world where you can play pool, arcades, bowling, etc, YES PS3 is an awesome blueray player- ranked #1 in 2008, plus it upconverts DVDs, PS3s do not overheat and have .00001 amount of problems compared to XBOX. Also, HDMI is standard for PS3s- I have both and I love the PS3. You can surf the web, watch movies, get netflix, etc etc.

donmagicyourmom

i love my PS3. It doesn't overheat at all, the movie playback on blu ray is awesome, various websites rate it better than stand alone units. Online game play is free and has a similar marketplace for buying movies and games, along with free demos.

SJSWING

Sounds great, next question would be do you think I should trade the Xbox 360 Elite in at gamestop or sell it on ebay. i have about 10 games to go with it along with Guitar Hero World Tour. I have over 20 Arcade games on it, and most of the free content that has come out over Xbox live.

Another question about the PS3, is there a built in WIFI adapter or do you need to purchase one separately?

peanutman

Not sure how much you should sell the Xbox for.

The newer PS3's come with built in WIFI. I have an older 20GB that doesn't have WIFI but I can still play PS2 games. None of the newer playstations let you play PS2 games and most people don't really care about this feature.

Here's away you can save 150 bucks on the price of your new playstation.
PS3offer_snpsc150 - Sony Rewards

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, your 20 gig is the only version to not have WiFi, the rest do. Its not a age thing at all, the launch models had it.

Holidaze 2008: PlayStation 3 SKU chart, revisited - Joystiq

this is handy chart showing what each version has or doesn't.

As far as overheating, thats never been a problem for the PS3, that was an Xbox 360 issue. As noted, its always listed as the best Blu-Ray player out there.

SJSWING

Thanks for the links. Just trying to figure out what I should throw my xbox on ebay for, or should I just take it to gamestop since they will give me a extra 25 towards trading the xbox in plus they will give me a extra 10 for every 3 games, then I also have the edge card to fall back on.

SO MANY CHOICES!!!!!!! :cds::cds::cds:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I have a PS3 and I love it. My opionion on 360 or PS3 would be:

360: More games

PS3: Blu-Ray player, free online gameplay

W

WildCherry

Our XBOX360 is friggen awesome!!! Has crystal clear pics and the graphics are phenomenal!!! Beatasour playstation and Wii hands down!:dye:

SJSWING

Our XBOX360 is friggen awesome!!! Has crystal clear pics and the graphics are phenomenal!!! Beatasour playstation and Wii hands down!:dye:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love my 360. I originally sold one on ebay and tried to stay with the Wii, but ended up trading that back in at gamestop to get the 360 back. After talking with a couple of people I have decided to stay with the 360. Online gaming is paid, but that means they have to maintain the servers. I had heard that the online play was ALOT better on the 360 then the PS3. I will be getting a ps3 in the future, for the blu-ray player, but decided to keep the 360 for now.

Can you believe that gamestop was only going to give me about 150 for trading in a Elite console with all the originals that came with it.(thought to myself what a rip). But they are a business and there to make money. Can't blame them for that.

Peter Forsberg

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love my 360. I originally sold one on ebay and tried to stay with the Wii, but ended up trading that back in at gamestop to get the 360 back. After talking with a couple of people I have decided to stay with the 360. Online gaming is paid, but that means they have to maintain the servers. I had heard that the online play was ALOT better on the 360 then the PS3. I will be getting a ps3 in the future, for the blu-ray player, but decided to keep the 360 for now.

Can you believe that gamestop was only going to give me about 150 for trading in a Elite console with all the originals that came with it.(thought to myself what a rip). But they are a business and there to make money. Can't blame them for that.
Just like games you buy for $50.00 and they give you $12.00 for it, then sell it used for $35.00

Last edited:

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero
I have both systems. They are both very good. Halo 3 is such a good game that it pushes the xbox 360 over the top. The PS3 Home is prety cool where you can build your own person and walk around and talk to other people.