Effen hackers!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
My son came out of his room and asks, "Mom is your internet down?" So I go to check and sure enough the internet is out. Then he mumbles something like, "Didn't think he could do it."

I say, "Who did what?" :confused:

Some retard hacked into our router thru the isp cable connection and did a denial of service. My son never gave out any info, he was just chatting with friends & the 'tard on IRC. The person who did this has shut down fourms, websites, and been kicked off many a site. At the time he was bragging about it and I guess my son said he couldn't do it. :burning: He also has a AOL IM name but my son can't remember it right now.

2A finally got us back up and traced it back to his isp and is going to report him. Resetting the system (unplugging and replugging) didn't help at all. He's (the tard) still trying to get back in. :cussing:

Steve

Enjoying life!
DoS attacks are very simple to accomplish. You're lucky thats all he has done. All kinds of free tools are available to do a lot worse.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Steve
You're lucky thats all he has done.
He tried to do more but 2A got right on it, as soon as I told him what my son said. This fool is still on it, my computer is running v e r y s l o w right now.

I thought hackers performed a valuable service by exposing weaknesses?
Here's his AOL IM ---> MiMo1205 ...keep him busy for a few minutes, ok Archi?

Steve

Enjoying life!
What's the IP? A Ping of Death against him would be good. Or my personal favorite: the Red Button. It initiates a hard drive reformat, but takes a little time to introduce.

Danzig

You know, this may be a good time to use PM. I would think it is not a good idea to be posting IP addresses and AIM user names that MAY OR MAY NOT be guilty of doing something. The IP could be spoofed and the AIM IDs stolen. I agree with getting even but don’t be airing the info in public ‘not smart’ I would also have to ask how old is this kid, and what would you do if you saw him on the corner talking with a weird looking STRANGER? So you should have the same attitude towards him with a stranger on the net.

One more interesting fact: In St. Mary’s county in a random survey of 50 wireless networks only 12 were protected with WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).

WEP: Short for Wired Equivalent Privacy, a security protocol for wireless local area networks (WLANs) defined in the 802.11b standard. WEP is designed to provide the same level of security as that of a wired LAN. LANs are inherently more secure than WLANs because LANs are somewhat protected by the physicalities of their structure, having some or all part of the network inside a building that can be protected from unauthorized access. WLANs, which are over radio waves, do not have the same physical structure and therefore are more vulnerable to tampering. WEP aims to provide security by encrypting data over radio waves so that it is protected as it is transmitted from one end point to another. However, it has been found that WEP is not as secure as once believed. WEP is used at the two lowest layers of the OSI model - the data link and physical layers; it therefore does not offer end-to-end security.

Definition from http://www.webopedia.com/

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
OK, it wasn't Canada (sorry) it was from China.
A few well placed nukes should take care of the hacking problem.

Too bad NNS+ isn't available just yet.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Originally posted by Danzig
No, just common sense,

I do agree with you on this point Danzig.

Sharon,

I did not even think about launching a counter-attack against the purported offender. That is asking for trouble, because it then becomes an issue of "who is the better hacker", which is what started this whole thing, if I remember.

I have the tools, but I am by no means an expert in using them. So they sit on the shelf, ready.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
There was no counter attack, someone jumped the gun on that one. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

...finally got rid of all of 'em. :yay: They've all been reported to their isp providers. Only one was from out of the country, so maybe the others will get a smak-down.

Danzig

Sounds like you got it under control but here are some tips.
There are very few ‘hackers’ most of the ‘hackers’ are nothing more than ‘script kiddies’ people who run scripts or pre-packaged programs that do the so called ‘hacking’ for them. They may be amateurs at what they are doing but they are still dangerous. The best bet is too reset your cable modem and reset your router (you want to try and get a new IP address from your ISP), you may also want to release and renew your IP address on your computer. Don’t waste time trying to ‘fight’ them unless you know what you are doing, and you don’t. Buy a firewall program or get a hardware firewall. Also do a virus scan for viruses and Trojan horses. If you don’t normally shut you’re your computer when not in use, DO IT for a while till you know if your computer is clean. You don’t want your computer out there messing with other innocent computers if you are already ‘Owned’ by a ‘hacker’.

Steve

Enjoying life!
If she is on DHCP, she should be fine. That is what nullifies those IP addresses anyway, and makes them useless for tracking.

Danzig, what do you do? You seem to know you NA/SA shiznit.

Steve

Enjoying life!
WAR driver and wireless security for fun.

There is nothing 'fun' about wireless. Some day, everyone will realize the implications. Why wardrive, when all you need is one unsecure AP? :biggrin:

Danzig

Originally posted by Steve
There is nothing 'fun' about wireless. Some day, everyone will realize the implications. Why wardrive, when all you need is one unsecure AP? :biggrin:

There are SO MANY unsecure APs around here, I just like to see how many there are. Seems like every day there is more and more. Many are still set up with default settings and passwords. You don't need to pay for high speed around here if you don't want.

Steve

Enjoying life!
There are SO MANY unsecure APs around here, I just like to see how many there are. Seems like every day there is more and more. Many are still set up with default settings and passwords. You don't need to pay for high speed around here if you don't want.

Have you seen the mapping of the DC corridor? Pathetic.

But, it is the next big horizon. It took the average person almost a decade to understand DOS. Should wireless be any different? I call it 'job security'. :cheers:

Danzig

I can hit 4 other APs in my driveway. It is just crazy out there. It seems the better the neighborhood the more APs and the less security.