Cribs

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Can anyone tell me any places that sell cribs besides Walmart/Target/Kmart? I checked out Burlington and saw a few but wanted to shop around for prices.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by jeneisen
Can anyone tell me any places that sell cribs besides Walmart/Target/Kmart? I checked out Burlington and saw a few but wanted to shop around for prices.

???? are ya havin oen too :baby:<---??

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
They are building a Babies R Us in Waldorf. How soon do you need it? Toys R Us has some, Babies R Us will have a lot.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Wards used to have a great selection, but they are no more :bawl:. That's where we got Mac's set - which is the set we're using for the new bebe. I just love Burlington, and they have wonderful prices.

One thing - I'd definitely suggest getting one that goes from crib to daybed to twin bed. That is the kind of set we have and it was great. We ended up getting Mac a new set before converting to the twin bed (b/c we knew we'd need the baby set again in the near future), but the daybed was a nice, easy conversion.

TWLs wife

Have you tried looking at the pennysaver???

We got one for $25.00 It's band new. The person we bought from give us at least $100.00 worth of baby stuff too. Try the penny saver.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Dymphna

Originally posted by PFgal
Wards used to have a great selection, but they are no more :bawl:. That's where we got Mac's set - which is the set we're using for the new bebe. I just love Burlington, and they have wonderful prices.

One thing - I'd definitely suggest getting one that goes from crib to daybed to twin bed. That is the kind of set we have and it was great. We ended up getting Mac a new set before converting to the twin bed (b/c we knew we'd need the baby set again in the near future), but the daybed was a nice, easy conversion.

I've never liked that kind. I suppose if you only plan to have one kid it'd be ok. Aren't they a lot more expensive? Some of them, you need to get extra parts for the conversion. I have 3 kids, age infant to 5 and my regular crib has been in continuous use for over 5 years. It cost about $125 and I'll be using it for another 2 years.

If you buy a crib second hand, make sure it meets current safety standards. Take a soda can and try to put it between the slats, if it fits don't get it. Also, don't get one with decorative cutouts in the ends. Check the cpsc for recalls. You'd be surprised what these things get recalled for. Mine was recalled and I didn't know it until it broke.:mad:

TWLs wife

Originally posted by cmcdanal
I've never liked that kind. I suppose if you only plan to have one kid it'd be ok. Aren't they a lot more expensive? Some of them, you need to get extra parts for the conversion. I have 3 kids, age infant to 5 and my regular crib has been in continuous use for over 5 years. It cost about $125 and I'll be using it for another 2 years.

If you buy a crib second hand, make sure it meets current safety standards. Take a soda can and try to put it between the slats, if it fits don't get it. Also, don't get one with decorative cutouts in the ends. Check the cpsc for recalls. You'd be surprised what these things get recalled for. Mine was recalled and I didn't know it until it broke.:mad:

I was lucky. Mine was from a day care. You just got to history of the crib. It works.:biggrin:

Dymphna

Originally posted by TIGGER6035
I was lucky. Mine was from a day care. You just got to history of the crib. It works.:biggrin:

It doesn't hurt to check the recall list anyway. There was a recent crib recall, about 2 months ago. I have licensed daycare in my house and the inspector had a recall list, but my crib wasn't on it, even though it was recalled about 2 years ago.

TWLs wife

It doesn't hurt to check the recall list anyway. There was a recent crib recall, about 2 months ago. I have licensed daycare in my house and the inspector had a recall list, but my crib wasn't on it, even though it was recalled about 2 years ago.

You are right. Mine wasn't on the recall list.

JabbaJawz

Be about it

Mine wasn't a lot more expensive at all. We bought it with a set - the crib, a tall dresser, and a long dresser with a hutch. Part of the long dresser came with a changing pad for a younger child, and then you take it off and it becomes a bookshelf for an older child. Also, all the parts for the conversion came with mine. It's an awesome set, and we're passing it down to this baby and to a 3rd if we have one.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well we saw one we really liked at Burlington that does convert. I also went on Target.com and found one so I might just order it online depending on the shipping. There is no hurry, since I am not due until June but it never hurts to start watching deals. The crib is the first thing we are going to buy so we can decorate the nursery after the holidays. Hopefully by then I will know what I am having.

TWLs wife

Well we saw one we really liked at Burlington that does convert. I also went on Target.com and found one so I might just order it online depending on the shipping. There is no hurry, since I am not due until June but it never hurts to start watching deals. The crib is the first thing we are going to buy so we can decorate the nursery after the holidays. Hopefully by then I will know what I am having.

Good luck. I'm going to be a mommy anyday now.:baby: :angel: :baby: :baby:

Dymphna

The crib is the first thing we are going to buy so we can decorate the nursery after the holidays. Hopefully by then I will know what I am having.

Don't count on knowing until about February. They really can't tell from a sonogram until about 17 weeks.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well my doctor mentioned that I may have to have an amio since I have had problems in the past but we aren't sure yet. I don't care either way but I can't wait to find out what we are having. My first doctors appointment is next week.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Well my doctor mentioned that I may have to have an amio since I have had problems in the past but we aren't sure yet.

I wouldn't go that route unless you absolutely have to. Scary stuff, and risky. A person we know actually just miscarried a week or so after her amnio, just one of those times the risk didn't work in the patient's favor. :frown:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I don't plan to, only if its necessary. I don't think it will be but we will know more when I go to the doctors and I am further along. The only problem I forsee, is my mom and my sister have all had a baby without a heartbeat and it wasn't discovered until they were like 4 months b/c their dr didn't give them a sonogram. I am demanding one now so I at least know everything is ok.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't count on knowing until about February. They really can't tell from a sonogram until about 17 weeks.
Don't count on knowing then either. My son brought me a picture that they said showed the baby was going to be a boy. He painted the nursery accordingly and had to repaint it for the daughter that they had. Remember that doctors are only "practicing" medicine.