Dog Returns to Maine Town After 3 Years

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
WHITING, Maine - A white German shepherd named Maxie has mysteriously found her way back to this eastern Maine town three years after being adopted by a family that lived 150 miles away.

While operating an animal shelter at her home, Julie Brown took care of Maxie for about year and a half. Three years ago, a couple from Palermo stopped by and adopted the dog, saying they had a black German shepherd and wanted a white one.

About a month ago, Brown heard that a white German shepherd had been seen about 10 miles from the area where her shelter was located. The stray was spotted in the Cobscook Bay Park area.

"They'd been trying to catch her, and no one could get near her," said Brown, who now lives in Machiasport.

Last week, Brown caught up with the dog behind a store in Whiting where she works and offered it dog food and biscuits.

"I just spoke to her, gave her some food and told her, 'Oh, I used to have a dog that looks just like you," Brown said. She later realized, by a scar over the dog's eye, that it was Maxie.

Brown doesn't know if the dog was dropped there or walked the distance. She said people have adopted hundreds of dogs and cats from her over the years, but this was the first to return. Brown said Maxie now has a permanent home with her.

"She is my dog, I guess," Brown said.