Separating egg whites

Cowgirl

I prefer to use my fingers. Doing in the shell works too, but sometimes the sharp shell edge breaks the yolk.

onebdzee

off the shelf
I use the shell method

If you crack the egg with a knife it makes for a nice straight line in the shell and you won't have to worry about the shell breaking the yoke when you pour it out of the shell :yay:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
They make a special kind of spoon for it that looks like it should do the trick, but I've never used it.

I was taught to do it as a child and have had a lot of practice, so I can't say that my way it the easiest way, but...

Gently crack the egg over a clean bowl. Turn the egg on one end and take off the "top." Most of the white will gush out at this point, so make sure you have it over the bowl and have it tilted slightly to one side so that you don't get too much of it on your hand. Very gently pour the egg yolk back and forth between the two shell halves, being careful not to catch the yolk on the jagged edges and keeping the egg over the bowl. The white will separate out and drip into the bowl. Continue this until all the white is in the bowl. If you should happen to break the yolk, immediately stop the process and pour the yolk into a separate bowl from white.

It's ok for most recipes calling for yolk only to have a little bit of white, so if you got most of the white off before breaking the yolk, you should be fine. It is NOT ok for recipes calling for whites only to have a little yolk in them, so make sure if you break the yolk, you immediately stop trying to separate the white out because the yolk will get mixed in.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Crack eggs on side of bowl, pour yolk from one side of shell to the other, letting the white fall into bowl. Easy peasy. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What is the easiest way to do it (besides buying egg beaters?).

Call BadGirl and have her order you an Egg Seperator.. they're WICKED cool..

Looks lika pyramid shaped coiled spring on the end of a spoon..

Or punch a hole in both ends of the egg and BLOW!! After a hundred eggs or so you should be able to remove JUST the whites..

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Sounds like the separator is the easiest way (other than egg beaters). Thanks all! I'm going to miss eggs over easy and sopping up the yolk with toast, but I will not miss these lbs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like the separator is the easiest way (other than egg beaters). Thanks all! I'm going to miss eggs over easy and sopping up the yolk with toast, but I will not miss these lbs.

Why not just get the egg beater whites? That's what I do. :shrug:

T

toppick08

I thought you were making merengue.

:rolleyes:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Why not just get the egg beater whites? That's what I do. :shrug:

Wifey already purchased a dozen fresh eggs so I gotta use them up first. Next time I'll do that though. What I need to do is try remember to eat breakfast everyday, hard to do with my schedule.

She found some burgers for me to try, black bean and chipotle (veggie) burgers. I'll give a review after this weekend, I may throw one on the grill.

I thought you were making merengue.

I'm trying to get rid of the merengue thats around my waist.

Last edited:
T

toppick08

Wifey already purchased a dozen fresh eggs so I gotta use them up first. Next time I'll do that though. What I need to do is try remember to eat breakfast everyday, hard to do with my schedule.

She found some burgers for me to try, black bean and chipotle (veggie) burgers. I'll give a review after this weekend, I may throw one on the grill.

I'm trying to get rid of the merengue thats around my waist.

:lol:.......you will.:yay:

onebdzee

off the shelf

THOSE are absolutely great!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

A tip: try not to think of those as "burgers" - they're not even close. If you think of it as just a different type of bun filler, a veggie patty instead of a burger, you'll like it better.