Web authoring tools?

Dreamweaver a good purchase for web authoring?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Don't bother...try something else

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Anyone out there with decent experience in web authoring? I'm considering getting Macromedia's Dreamweaver MX 2004...but would like to hear opinion on this compared to other software that is used like FrontPage, etc...

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I'm using dreamweaver and like it. Have no experience with Frontpage but I have heard it is easy to use but you can do a lot more w/dreamweaver. At work they don't let us use frontpage due to security issues in it.

If I can use it, anybody can.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a FrontPage person, myself. But several of our contract designers use DreamWeaver and they like it really well. DW seems to insert a lot of extra code in the page but it does better tricks with the click of a button, whereas with FP you have to manually insert code for a lot of dynamic functions.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Am I the only one who still uses a text editor and does it by hand? I do more PHP rather than HTML/ASP/Java. Most of the programs available for web design don't do PHP.

I used FrontPage and don't like it. I end up having to edit most of it by hand.

I've never used Dreamweaver but heard it's the best out there.

I like to have more control by manually creating my web documents than having a program creating crap which I don't want.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I know that you can use word docs that you have converted to html in word and have dreamweaver remove all the extra BS, lots of useless code. Also you can cut and paste from word or other WP software including vanilla text to dreamweaver without adding lots of extra code.

With dreamweaver it helps to have some of that old school coding experience to remember tags etc. when using the code view, but it isn't necessary.

I hadn't coded for almost 10 years until I started using dreamweaver earlier this year and picked it up pretty fast.