Alcohol vs. marijuana

Alcohol vs. marijuana--which is more harmful?

• Alcohol

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Marijuana

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Both are equally harmful

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I said both are equally harmful. And there's something I didn't think about before when I was saying I'd legalize marijuana:

If you legalize marijuana, where are people going to be allowed to get high? The reason I ask is because if you're sitting in a bar having a beer, you're not going to get everyone around you drunk as well. But if you're smoking pot, the second hand smoke is going to affect those around you. If they b*tch about cigarette smoke, what do you think will happen with pot smoke?

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I say both are equally harmful but for different reasons.

Alcohol makes people more dangerous. Drunk people do things they would never think of doing otherwise - many assaults, accidents, crimes are realated to people being so blasted they don't realize - or don't care - that what they are doing is wrong.

People make marijuana more dangerous. The reason pot is one of the country's biggest enablers is because as parents we caution so much against it - that once our kids go do it (which 98% of them will) they are like, "well that was nothing!". And assume the same about harder drugs.

I think pot should be legalized for use in your own home. Like Vrai mentioned it is too easy to catch a contact high. Besides who wants to deal with some burnout driving 35 in a 50 with his turn-signal on 2 miles before he is planning on turning??

The main difference as to why I don't think pot is more dangerous than beer is - who ever heard of somebody getting high and getting into a fight?? I think maybe we need to mellow out . . .

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm the one that picked the weed as being more harmful due to intended use.

I can drink a beer or two with my dinner and not become, or intend to become, intoxicated. If you're smoking a joint it's because you intend to get high. And I've yet to ever hear of someone who burned one because they "just like the taste"

:lmao:

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by Kyle955
And I've yet to ever hear of someone who burned one because they "just like the taste"

And I think that people who drink Beer because they "like the taste" are full of crap. Beer tastes horrible . . . until the 3rd or 4th one . . . then it starts to taste good . . . but by that time - I am most definately intending to get drunk!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I, personally, love the taste of beer. If it didn't bloat me and make me drunk, I could drink it all day. I've tried the non-alcoholic stuff but THAT crap is nasty! There has to be a market for a non-al that tastes like Pete's Wicked...

Kyle's got a point - you can sit and drink a beer or two without getting loaded but can you just sit and take a hit or two and not get high? Dunno, myself - when I smoked pot it was for the express purpose of getting stoned.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
As much as I like beer (it's cheap, baby - no $6 mixed drinks for me when a beer is $2.50) - and as much as I drink beer - the first one still always tastes horrible. Some are better than others - but "acquired" or not - I have a hard time believing people who drink beer because they "like" the taste. I'd say I drink beer because it's cheap and I <i>don't mind</i> the taste!

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Lilly

And I think that people who drink Beer because they "like the taste" are full of crap. Beer tastes horrible . . . until the 3rd or 4th one . . . then it starts to taste good . . . but by that time - I am most definately intending to get drunk!

But I've always felt the same way about wine! Horrible stuff! :barf:

I love the taste of beer though... Ale, Porter, Lager, Stout... :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lilly, honey - you are NOT drinking the right beer! :lmao: If I had a choice between Bud/Coors/Miller and nothing, I'd choose nothing. But there are many microbrews on the market that are really tasty. Pete's Helles Lager is my new favorite.

And I agree with Kyle - I don't think wine tastes good, either, so I don't drink the swill. My brother-in-law is a wine snob and he's horrified that I'd rather have a beer than his fancy $40 wine. Sparkling wine and champagne doesn't taste good to me, either.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Lilly, honey - you are NOT drinking the right beer! :lmao: If I had a choice between Bud/Coors/Miller and nothing, I'd choose nothing. But there are many microbrews on the market that are really tasty. Pete's Helles Lager is my new favorite.

And I agree with Kyle - I don't think wine tastes good, either, so I don't drink the swill. My brother-in-law is a wine snob and he's horrified that I'd rather have a beer than his fancy $40 wine. Sparkling wine and champagne doesn't taste good to me, either.
Wild Goose, Dominion Brewing Co. makes a good Amber and Stout, Pete's, BelHaven and Saranac Black and Tan! :biggrin:

And I don't care if the damn bottle of wine cost $1000... It tastes the same as Manichevitz! :barf:

SmallTown

Football season!
I suppose certain beers can taste pretty nasty (don't understand how budweiser is so popular, must just be the price).. I'll take a Sam Adams Summer Ale anytime.. It does taste good and it goes with many different meals :) And just by itself it is just fine..

For those against marijauna, check out the research behind it. Look up what exactly gives the "high feeling" and look up the long term effects when used in small to moderate amounts. Might surprise you.

But I don't know. I think I prefer a nice cold beer with my hamburger or steak instead of a joint.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SxyPrincess

Hey, now! I happen to enjoy this stuff! :martini:
I didn't meeean nuthin Sxy! :lmao:

I've always found it's mostly women that will drink wine and guys that drink beer with a little overlap. To me all wine tastes like sour fruit juice.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kyle: Except for Boones Farm - that tastes like sour Kool-Aid.

SmallTown: Couldn't agree with you more, buddy! Steaks on the grill and beer in the cooler!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Kyle: Except for Boones Farm - that tastes like sour Kool-Aid.

Boones Farm is an experience I've been spared!

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Lilly, honey - you are NOT drinking the right beer!

I will have to try the ones you mentioned! Maybe my mind can be changed . . . .

As far as wine goes - it can be good if accompanied by the right meal - but as far as just drinking for the sake of it - No Thanks!

Hey now! The first time I actually got drunk was when I was 16 off of Boons Farm Strawberry Hill . . . aww the memories . . .

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by SmallTown
For those against marijauna, check out the research behind it. Look up what exactly gives the "high feeling" and look up the long term effects when used in small to moderate amounts. Might surprise you.

What kind of research are you talking about? I would be very interested in the results . . .

My favorite quote "Yes. Sometimes pot smokers do go on to harder things. Like College."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lilly, if you liked Strawberry Hill as a kid, let me recommend Pete's Strawberry Blonde. It's a nice light fruit beer that's not so overpowering with the flavoring. Stay away from dark beers for now - some of them taste like earwax and can ruin you for a good dark later.

The Flying Dog beers are pretty good, too. Tire-Biter Ale and In Heat Wheat are faves.