Dog Collars

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I've got a dashund mix pup that has chewed through like 6 collars in 3 weeks. Right now he has a "choke chain," which I hate. I zip-tied in into place so that it's not choking him at any time, but I would like to put a regular collar on him. The choke chain is just too heavy for my little guy. Anybody have any ideas about a chew-proof collar? I've tried nylon and leather...and I've been told that I have the collar tight enough, I just don't understand how he gets to the collar to chew through it...:confused:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by Ehesef
I've got a dashund mix pup that has chewed through like 6 collars in 3 weeks. Right now he has a "choke chain," which I hate. I zip-tied in into place so that it's not choking him at any time, but I would like to put a regular collar on him. The choke chain is just too heavy for my little guy. Anybody have any ideas about a chew-proof collar? I've tried nylon and leather...and I've been told that I have the collar tight enough, I just don't understand how he gets to the collar to chew through it...:confused:

Since when did you get a dog?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
There's a product called Bitter Apple that is used to keep pets from chewing wounds, etc. Maybe if you put that on the collar??

You should only use a choke collar for training purposes.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by cattitude
There's a product called Bitter Apple...You should only use a choke collar for training purposes.

Thanks I'll try that

The collar is not able to choke him, it was rigged by my S/O not to choke him at all. I have a hard time even justifying those collars for training.

Otter

Nothing to see here
My puppy's name is Biscuit...why is that funny?:confused: :shrug:

Just chuckling cuz Biscuit has needed a collar for years, just glad he finally got one.

BullDawg

Duck Molester
Soak his collar in tobasco sauce over night and put it on him. He'll learn not to chew on it when his mouth is burning. Give it a week or two, then switch it back to a normal collar and hopefully the bad habbit will be broken.

LeeLoo

Teach me to talk
The collar really should be snug on him. You should only be able to slid two fingers between the collar and his neck. Any looser, and he can easily slip it and chew on it.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by LeeLoo
The collar really should be snug on him. You should only be able to slid two fingers between the collar and his neck. Any looser, and he can easily slip it and chew on it.

Yea, thats how tight it is, I had the guy at Petsmart fit him. Then the next morning the collar was in pieces on the floor. I should scan the polaroids of the bed I got him, there was stuffing everywhere when he got done with it. He's got PLENTY of chew toys, he just prefers chewing on the things he's not supposed to chew on. My S/O thinks he gets bored while we're sleeping, but he doesn't bark to be let out then. Just when he has to drop off a few kids. Heck if I know. The dog is half spastic anyway...