Another fair chance of Auroras

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
SOLAR EXPLOSIONS: Solar activity is high. An intense X5-class solar flare erupted today (Oct. 23rd at 8:35 UT) from sunspot 486 near the sun's southeastern limb. The explosion hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) into space. See the movie. Although the CME was not Earth-directed, it could deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field as early as Oct 24th (although the 25th is more likely).

Another CME was already en route when this morning's explosion occured. Pictured right, it was launched on Oct 22nd by an explosion near sunspot 484. Forecasters expect it to arrive on Oct. 24th and possibly trigger a strong geomagnetic storm. Sky watchers at middle latitudes should be alert for auroras.

Middle Latitudes

Space Weather Link

K

Kain99

Wouldn't that be incredible! I'm definitely checking it out. My one question: Why does all the really cool celestial stuff happen when it's freezing outside?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I don't know but making a guess... I'd say because the winter months have more hours of darkness, it just seems that way since there's more opportunity to see them.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Sounds great! Is any one time of night better than another to watch for them, or should we just break out the parkas and settle in?:guitar: