Grieve In Private, Not Along Maryland's Highways

Otter

Nothing to see here
Wonder if Jet is spearheading this effort...

Calling them inappropriate and distracting, two local organizations are expressing concern over the number of public memorials popping up along Maryland's highways.

Anna Ravegum with Americans United for Separation of Church and State says grieving should be done in private, not along government property.

Rest of story

J

justhangn

floet2.gif
Waiting for it to start.

K

Kizzy

Once the flowers die, the balloons deflate and the other stuff fad, it looks like a pile of trash on the side of the road.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
Once the flowers die, the balloons deflate and the other stuff fad, it looks like a pile of trash on the side of the road.
:yeahthat:

SxyPrincess

Again, I must be the only one that doesn't mind roadside memorials. When I see them, it makes me glad I'm still alive after all the wreckless driving I've done. They help remind to slow down, and that life is precious.

:patriot:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Perhaps it is a fitting tribute to the trash that put it there in the first place. JMHO:shrug:

K

Kizzy

A roadside memorial doesn't bother me in the least bit. It is just months, even a year later, the pile on the side of the road looks like a pile of trash. Nobody cleans these up. There is one on 373 that has been there for nearly 2 years and you can hardly tell what it is.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I agree with Sxy Princess. What's the big deal? After a year or so you just have a cross reminding us all to slow down and value our lives.

If a family doesn't maintain the cross, then it can be picked up by the road maintenance crews WHO WOULD BE OUT THERE MAINTING THE ROAD ANYWAY!

As for the so-called "seperation of church and state" don't get me started. Let's just say if someone wants to put up a crescent or star of David or something, that's just as acceptable to me. How is it that these private roadside memorials constitute the state endorsing a religion?

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Again, I must be the only one that doesn't mind roadside memorials. When I see them, it makes me glad I'm still alive after all the wreckless driving I've done. They help remind to slow down, and that life is precious.

I would have to agree

:biggrin:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by SxyPrincess

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
To all of you who are in favor of roadside memorials:

:duh:

:yeahthat: Save your flowers for their graveside. Better yet, donate the money you would have spent to a charity. THAT is a way better way to remember somebody.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hate them

Originally posted by IM4Change
it looks like a pile of trash on the side of the road.

And if you need them to remind you to drive right, maybe you shouldn't be on the road at all.

http

That group and the article are both BS. Anyone has the right to gather and peacefully protest and carry signs on public land under the FIRST AMENDMENT. Yes FIRST! It’s called the right to assemble.

And just like the the 2nd Amendment originally had nothing to do with actually bearing arms as we think of it today, the first amendment doesn’t really have anything to do with roadside memorials. But the law is the law.

Maryland CANNOT prevent the laying down of these memorials. They can however clean them up immediately after they are laid down. But who has the time to do that? Ever heard of paperwork? And when was the last time you’ve actually seen a cop stop to clean-up a dead muskrat, possum or cat on the highway.

And as far as getting out of hand in numbers, you would think Maryland would have something better to concentrate-on, like why the numbers are getting out of hand.

As far as trash goes, roadside memorials are nothing different than front yards. In low income and depressed areas, they are never maintained and wind up being eyesores. In nice areas, they are eventually cleaned-up or removed.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by http
As far as trash goes, roadside memorials are nothing different than front yards. In low income and depressed areas, they are never maintained and wind up being eyesores. In nice areas, they are eventually cleaned-up or removed.

not necessarily

http

Originally posted by tys_mommy
not necessarily

Sure, obviously I can't prove that, but that is what I guess. My neighborhood which is neither depressed nor low income (but certainly not rich) has town council meetings once a month and other meetings and public hearings between them. All we talk about is trash and appearance.

http://www.chesapeake-beach.md.us/meetings.html#agenda

On the other hand, ever been down Suitland Parkway? Ever heard of a town council meeting at Barry Farms?