XTC Use By The Terminally Ill

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Okay this comes off the marijuana vs. alcohol thread - specifically WC's post about pot being used by the terminally ill. I saw a primetime report (Dateline or something . . .can't remember) on ecstacy use and the feature story focused on a couple where the man was terminally ill. I forget the specific disease that he was suffering from but it caused extreme pain in his muscles and joints to the point where he could barley move. He practically lived on pain meds but as a result was usually too out of it to function anyway. It boiled down to the point that him and his wife could no longer "know eachother" (biblically if you get my drift). Then they discovered ecstacy. Apparantly when he was rolling the pain in his body would almost go away without pain medication and as a result he was able to be more aware and more "physical" than he could otherwise. He used ecstacy illegally for the last few years of his life about once a week in order to maintain a relationship with his wife. He eventually died of the illness and his wife was pushing legislation to legalize ecstacy for medical use. She claimed it saved the last few years of his life and made it worth living.

So after all that - here is the question: Do you think that some chemical-based or mind-altering drugs (like ecstacy) can be useful in the medical world?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, here's the problem with "medical" marijuana, XTC, etc: one you give the go-ahead for it, suddenly everyone and their dog has a medical problem that can only be alleviated by some otherwise illegal drug.

I'd have no problem with terminally ill people taking anything they want to alleviate pain - what the hell, they're gonna die anyway, not gonna leave their homes for the most part. But it would have to be prescribed and they'd have to take it truly like a medication and not like a recreational drug. This means no firing up on the street corner, no sharing it with your buddies.

SmallTown

Football season!
There are already many "narcotics" being sold with prescriptions, main ones being strong pain killers and muscle relaxers. I wouldn't be surpised at all to find out these are being dealt on the streets. But eventually it gets tracked back to the Doctor writing the prescription (or back to a forged Dr. Signature and then back to the person requesting the prescription be filled)..

Thumbing through a medical drug book, it would seem that the legal prescription drugs can be pretty deadly when abused, just like the illegal drugs. In fact, they can be even more dangerous. The problem is, where do you draw the line? I'm not saying all banned substances should be used this way.. But if we find out that if a drug can help certain people, it should be considered a narcotic prescription and go on.. Ever seen some one really doped up on morphine to kill the pain? They look pretty messed up. Doesn't cure you at all, but sure makes things more livable. Which is the argument people have towards legalizing certain drugs for medical use.

watercolor

yeah yeah
well see, I think they would have to have the RX for being teminally ill. But then again there is the point, that if the person was sick enough, they would use it to sell. If they were that greedy for money. But I dunno. Lemme think on it a little. I will come up with something

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by watercolor23
But then again there is the point, that if the person was sick enough, they would use it to sell. If they were that greedy for money.

That is a good point, WC - I never thought ot that. I guess the prescription would have to be small enough that they wouldn't be able to profit much from it. Of course the same dangers exist with drugs that are already available by prescription.
I know that there is a lot of support for more natural drugs like marijuana but drugs like X are generally seen as completely harmful with no benefits whatsoever. This report was the first time I had ever heard about anything like this. I can see its use it this case but wonder how many people would actually benefit from medical use.
I guess my problem is that X is such a harmful drug. You hear about kids dying everyday from this stuff. And if it is stocked in pharmacies the same problems could develop that came from oxy-contin. I am still not sure that the benefits totally outwiegh the negatives.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Lilly- it is very true to the effects of the X. I know from personal experience from 2 years ago, that there is no benefit from it, except for a few hours, of being a vegitable and throwing all your cares away. Now as for the people dying, yea there are major cases of that, because of the stuff that is mixed in with the pure X otherwise known as mali. Which means the heriorin, cocaine,pcp,acid, etc. can be deadly if mixed with alcohol and mixutres of other drugs together. Which in turn causes major over palpatations of the heart and lungs, and the liver hardens and such. But that is just 2 of the events that I have seen happen.
X can be made in your own home, if done right, and if you have a supplier. I never did, but I did once know someone who did, but now, hurt himself so bad he is finally in rehab. Thank God I never went that far. I was only on it when it was a party happening. But whos to say, that I would not have died one of those nights, because of a drug interaction between like say pcp and k. Not saying that it did not hurt me either. :confused:

X has been known to put pin hole pricks in your brain, in certain target areas such as the hypothalamus (which holds short term memory) and I have a feeling parts of mine was damaged. Not severely, but my memory is not as completly sharp as it was 3 years ago. I was one to swear to never ever touch any sort of drug, and dam# if peer pressure is not true. I was not strong enough and caved in.

But also, the interactions, with the part of it being sold. Like I said, it is easy. Cause its too easy to make, and get ahold of. Also, with ones, that have heroine in them, those eat at your spine slowly. So those who are always "rollin" in clubs and think of it as a "club" drug are slowly eating away at their structure. :bawl: So that is why, I guess it would help the termially ill, cause it would eat away at the nerves, and it just basically shuts down all the motor functions other than breathing, which still takes alot of effort when on it, and the nerve endings shut off all pain on this.

I will go into it more when you ask...I guess

Last edited:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Also! That is why it is called the date rape drug. Cause of the fact that the people become non-mobile aka vegitable. And then their motor fuctions are basically shot, and everything is just "duh" and blurry...and someone can take advantage very easily. I had it happen first hand. Was not rape, but was taken advantage of. :mad:

N

nanc

terminally ill trippin...?

I would have to disagree with that notion. First of all,
"xtc" was used in theraputic settings in the early seventies and from what I have read there is no data that suggests it was beneficial. And, I just can't imagine any terminally ill person using what is basically in effect a combo of speed and acid. I believe that most terminally ill people want to be aware...not off in outer space trippin.
I have a child who was given this drug and she ended up in the hospital and was delusional for weeks. I can't even begin to describe all that she went threw because of it. While many take xct without apparent damage, the possibility does exist for a profound adverse effect. Who would want their "Grannie' freakin out & running down the road naked? Ok...not a pretty picture, but can you see my point? It could very well come to that. I say "NO" to the elders (and such) trippin out and getting stoned. It just ain't nice.

N

nanc

terminally ill trippin...?

I would have to disagree with that notion. First of all,
"xtc" was used in theraputic settings in the early seventies and from what I have read there is no data that suggests it was beneficial. And, I just can't imagine any terminally ill person using what is basically in effect a combo of speed and acid. I believe that most terminally ill people want to be aware...not off in outer space trippin.
I have a child who was given this drug and she ended up in the hospital and was delusional for weeks. I can't even begin to describe all that she went threw because of it. While many take xct without apparent damage, the possibility does exist for a profound adverse effect. Who would want their "Grannie' freakin out & running down the road naked? Ok...not a pretty picture, but can you see my point? It could very well come to that. I say "NO" to the elders (and such) trippin out and getting stoned. It just ain't nice.