Energy Seminar

SamSpade

I got this little thing in the mail yesterday. Some free meal thing at Lenny's on how to lower your electric bill.

I'm usually hugely skeptical of anything like this - I can't see the reason anyone would want to give me a free dinner to tell me how to lower my electric bill unless it involves BUYING someone's stuff to do it.

Anyone know something about this?

JoeMac

Haven't heard anything in particular about this one, but I agree no one gives anything away for free.

SamSpade

Ok, I found them on the Web. They're at

Home

I'm surprised they make no mention of this in their invitation. Maybe they don't want anyone to have an idea of what to expect. If that's the case, the red flags are popping up already.

In any case, they have two products they sell (of course, it's a sales pitch). One is a thermal blanket cover to place over your attic insulation. Their claim is that it does not induce mold or in any way traps moisture, and it "breathes" a very little to prevent this. Their credentials seem to prove that - you don't typically get a UL seal without doing what you claim.

I found a site on the Web where this product was pitched elsewhere, and the cost to install was exorbitant, and the reviewer was able to find a local contractor who could do it for a third of the asking price.

So I'm skeptical. If you're going to rake in a few thou, a free meal is nothing.

The other product, I really don't know what it does. It attaches to your electrical cable into your home and does something where it smooths out the delivery of amps, minimizing spikes with something called the Power Factor. I've seen nothing elsewhere on the web about how well it works.

The insulating product, elsewhere on the Web reviewers have said that it does actually *work*. It's the return on investment that I question.

And I'm always skeptical of anyone who can't just tell me up front what they plan to show me. Smells like BS to me.

JoeMac

I actually have some experience with the foil that goes in the attic. I attended a training course that covered it. It seems a better(more effective) option to attach it to the underside of the roof. It reflects out the heat from the sun. This energy is what makes the attic hot and reflecting it out is curing the problem where as an attic fan just sucks out the hot air, which is a symptom and not the problem. I have seen 30-40 degree drops with this product. There are companies around that will install it.