Uvb?

hippo_pop

I was wondering if anyone knew when Ms. Frances (who did that one uvb study for reptile lighting http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm ) was going to do an update of the study? People still refer to that and its severely outdated in my opinion. There are so many new bulbs out there that might be dangerous and so many of the old ones that might be ok. Doesn't that just cripple the purpose of the study? I remember seeing around that she was actually posting but I forget where it was. I just remember her saying she was busy. But hopefully, soon. I mean for my bearded dragons I've used Zilla 15 watt desert series lights since last year after I couldnt afford mvbs and I don't have any issues or anything like that. They were in the study among others. I actually think they're pretty good. After calling the company and asking around I found out they had been re-done and had new ones out. So I guess what I'm saying is that the lack of an update after a long period of time might do more harm than good for what I already mentioned in the beginning. But I think this applies only if its very outdated. Any thoughts or does anyone know, more specifically whats going on? I just started thinking about this and got curious.

beauticia

I was wondering if anyone knew when Ms. Frances (who did that one uvb study for reptile lighting http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm ) was going to do an update of the study? People still refer to that and its severely outdated in my opinion. There are so many new bulbs out there that might be dangerous and so many of the old ones that might be ok. Doesn't that just cripple the purpose of the study? I remember seeing around that she was actually posting but I forget where it was. I just remember her saying she was busy. But hopefully, soon. I mean for my bearded dragons I've used Zilla 15 watt desert series lights since last year after I couldnt afford mvbs and I don't have any issues or anything like that. They were in the study among others. I actually think they're pretty good. After calling the company and asking around I found out they had been re-done and had new ones out. So I guess what I'm saying is that the lack of an update after a long period of time might do more harm than good for what I already mentioned in the beginning. But I think this applies only if its very outdated. Any thoughts or does anyone know, more specifically whats going on? I just started thinking about this and got curious.

yeah i know what you mean. it is very outdated. a few years if im not mistaken. as for frances, i believe shes is on a yahoo group. i dont remember which one though. she posts there, or someone who claims to be, anyway.

that study did morph alot of peoples opinions in the end :killingme i do pay attention and inform myself but in the end i choose what i want. ive tried the new zillas that came out after that ordeal and they were good, i didnt have problems with those either. i never tried any of the coils though. i personally like the idea of having more spread out lighting.

i dont know what specifically is going on, with the study you mean?? im guessing its going to be a while. normally when new info crops up its fast to spread. so i guess we just have to wait for now.

glowingmurtle

I have no idea whats happening with the study. I didn't think there'd ever be another one done, honestly. I figured it was a one time thing. But it does make sense that there would be more. I mean you can't criticize products and just leave the damage like that as a one time thing. There should be a type of "how are they now" update. I know I'd want to know if I have more options. I, too, have been using the desert series 50 mw tubes from Zilla for some of my tortoises' indoor setups and I have never experienced any negative side effects since I've used them (which I'm guessing they're the new versions you speak of). I'm guessing this is one of the examples of bulbs gone good, but doesn't help any if the study keeps negative thoughts in consumers minds. Am I right? Is that what you mean?